Quantcast

Burgtec Ride Wide

Mlody

Monkey
Feb 25, 2006
London - UK
Are there any advantages of having bars that wide? I feel pretty good with my 27" bar, but I'm thinking of trying something wider (28")

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I saw those in this month Decline yesterday and thought; finally someone who gets it! Its simple all I want is wide, low-rise and light if possible and it seems almost impossible to find this.

Nice work Burtec, now could someone please import their product to Canada?

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
that may be true, but arn't you like 130 soaking wet?

siko is like 8 feet tall, he needs wide bars
no he's a big kid.

i would really like to give a pair a try, but the fact that i've got a set of perfectly good 30mm rise 720 wide funn full ons on my izimu and .5" rise 720mm sic's sitting around doesn't really allow me to buy another set of bars.

its a welcome change though, being 6'2 i often feel like my bars aren't even close to wide enough.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Burgtech stuff is nice but silly money. £75.00 for a handle bar????
(thats what, $150 to you yanks?)

I would not think that they are made in house so I wonder who produces them. If its far east then they are having a laugh....

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Why do companies not do 25.4 bars as a option no more.
because the oversized bars are stiffer and can better handle the loads of being extra wide. also, 31.8 bars are coming down in weight with strategic butting of the material, so (in the case of some companies), there isn't much in the way of weight savings when you go with the smaller diameter bars.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Minor Hijack

"I heard from this dude" that Diety is making a 29" wide 25mm rise DH bar for the '08 product year. 225g area.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Sounds interesting.

I like 25.4 because it makes the cockpit feel more compact and lighter. I also like a little flex.

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
because the oversized bars are stiffer and can better handle the loads of being extra wide. also, 31.8 bars are coming down in weight with strategic butting of the material, so (in the case of some companies), there isn't much in the way of weight savings when you go with the smaller diameter bars.
If my memory serves me correctly I thought some guy at easton said that oversizing actually put more stress on the bars in a critical area, and thus needed more material to get the same strenght!?

Burgtec-DC

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Yo!

At the moment we dont have a distributer in the US, we are looking for one though. If you work in a shop or want your LBS to order you anything we are more than happy to deal with them. Drop us a mail info@burgtec.co.uk

In Canada we have Mathieu Dupelle who is based near Quebec he distributes around the eastside mainly but i'm sure he would ship to the west aswell. His contact is ffbikes@hotmail.com

If you look at the price of other scandium bars you will see ours is comparible and if anything slightly cheaper. So I would say that it does represent good value for money. Buying stuff from the UK is also going to be expensive becuase of the exchange rates too.

Seems everyone is wanting to go a bit wider than us now, maybe so they can say there's are wider! We made ours for function not bragging rites.

If anyone is wondering anything just ask...

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Yo!

At the moment we dont have a distributer in the US, we are looking for one though. If you work in a shop or want your LBS to order you anything we are more than happy to deal with them. Drop us a mail info@burgtec.co.uk

In Canada we have Mathieu Dupelle who is based near Quebec he distributes around the eastside mainly but i'm sure he would ship to the west aswell. His contact is ffbikes@hotmail.com

If you look at the price of other scandium bars you will see ours is comparible and if anything slightly cheaper. So I would say that it does represent good value for money. Buying stuff from the UK is also going to be expensive becuase of the exchange rates too.

Seems everyone is wanting to go a bit wider than us now, maybe so they can say there's are wider! We made ours for function not bragging rites.

If anyone is wondering anything just ask...
wow thanks for all the info, now do you know if your distributors in America will have the bars anytime soon? Keep on making wicked components!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
ZHendo said:
I wish they'd standardize regular and OS sizes with the M/C industry so we'd have more choices for rise, upsweep, backsweep, etc. There's no good reason this could not be done.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
that may be true, but arn't you like 130 soaking wet?

siko is like 8 feet tall, he needs wide bars
No, like Will said, I'm a pretty big guy. I'm almost 6 foot and 28 inch bars seem wide enough to me, but for those of you who do want wider bars at least they are becoming available.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I know it is expensive to import from the UK. But a company like Hope for example makes their product in the UK and is able to keep their US retail pricing pretty reasonable and competitive.

Burgtec-DC

Chimp
Jul 10, 2007
Hope are a different company to us and produce on a much larger scale. They are like McDonalds and we are like In and Out.

If your in Canada then give Mathieu a shout he is a cool guy and i'm sure he will sort you out.

We dont have a distributer in the US at the moment, in the meantime if anyone wants to order something we will ship there for free.

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
These bars are awesome. I rode Doddy (MBUK writer)'s Socom and he had a set on. Very impressed. They'll be on my 08 rig for sure!

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
The weight diff isnt significant anyway!

Roadies have all but made the switch, why wouldnt we?

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
Reverse components make a 76mm wide at much cheaper price
Maybe true, but bars are something I (and I assume lots of other riders) neeeed confidence in. So, personally, I'm happier spending the extra bit more to get a brand and pedigree I have confidence in.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Here's something for all of you wide bars lovers
http://www.burgtec.co.uk/news.html
29.5"
Nice bars really do like Burtec stuff esspecially those penthouse pedals if only they had an NZ distributor umm:lighten:

I run 28inch on all my bikes now DH to DJ (DJ standard 25.4) but do like OS on everything else, I would love a set of these esspecailly the low rise model.

Seems like lower stack height and slacker SA, HAs allow for a more aggressive position and a wider bar I find gives me more stability and cornering jumping control, Im a bigger guy too so maybe I need that, I see Nathan Rennie, Steve Peat also real big guys, sorta pioneered the wide bar so like everything one size does not fit all, its what suits you as a rider and your setup, more options are a good thing so props to BT for providing us with them scandium would ride nice too:clapping:

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I was just going to say, how it seems like we already discuessed 31.8 vs 25.4 and came to the conclusion, 31.8 has no significant strength gain when a 25.4 is done right.

I personally run a 25.4 cromo bar on a diabolous stem, and actually improved my bar strength by doing that. Then again, its cromo vs. aluminum, which isnt fair.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Maybe true, but bars are something I (and I assume lots of other riders) neeeed confidence in. So, personally, I'm happier spending the extra bit more to get a brand and pedigree I have confidence in.
well they are world cup tested and theyr smal brathers, the 710mm are very popular

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
I was just going to say, how it seems like we already discuessed 31.8 vs 25.4 and came to the conclusion, 31.8 has no significant strength gain when a 25.4 is done right.

I personally run a 25.4 cromo bar on a diabolous stem, and actually improved my bar strength by doing that. Then again, its cromo vs. aluminum, which isnt fair.
Yup concur maybe no stength advantages same for any company who produces a quality product, but there is a def stiffness advantage for me anyway as a bigger guy I prefer that feel than the smaller diameter bars.

On the DJ bike though I like more supple give in the bar nicer on the hands with less suspension plus nailing the tranny is always a bonus when coming down:busted:

Like ost things everyones different and least there's choices for all to suit what ya feel comfortable with, Im definitley gonna go to the bigger bar when I can RW will be high one the list, Diety I think have some low rise and wider bars coming out too:clapping:

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
does scandium reduce vibration like carbon does? I remember easton used to makes some sweet scandium bars, but i think the materials were expensive.