Quantcast

burlier 4" travel frames...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
got to talking about this at work...there aren't that many semi-burly, 4" frames around, are there? seems most of the 4"-ers are XC only, with predominantly XC geometry. the only kind-of-burly frames i could think of were Blur 4Xs. what are some others?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hollowpoint MKIII? The new Cowan, 4x Blur? As for a 4" frame with beef, any of the 4x style bikes. Also the Rocky Mountain Edge/Slayer takes a serious beating and is shorter travel.

But in general, 4" and Burly don't go together.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Go for a Specialized Enduro SX, size long. It's got just over 4" of travel, has a medium length wheelbase that doesn't feel sketchy at speed and is still easy to whip through small corners, and there's a healthy amount of seatpost room. I am 5'9" and trail ride mine all the time. I just put a Vanilla R coil on it, and ride it with a very low axle-to-crown 6" travel Fox 40, and it's the most fun bike I own. Light and fast, with perfect geometry. If you're a hack and can't ride smoothly, you might catch pedals on climbs with the low BB, but if your style has progressed enough to let you ride a low BB bike, this one just plain rips. If you live in Northern Cali you can check mine out.

specializedride said:
the enduro sx's are a 6.6 inch travel frame
No, the SX Trail is the 6.6" travel frame. The regular SX is a 4x/DS frame with only 4.2" of travel.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bjanga said:
transition preston

I guess that is more burly-burly though
damn, that is a burly frame. 8lbs? ouch.
buildyourown said:
Turner Rail. Very over built. However, the geo is such that it doesn't make a good trail bike.
in an e-mail, Dave Turner said that the Rail was going to be re-released into something that mimicks the orange Turner Rail in the classifieds. but i read on MTBR that plans were that were cancelled.
jimmydean said:
Hollowpoint MKIII? The new Cowan, 4x Blur? As for a 4" frame with beef, any of the 4x style bikes. Also the Rocky Mountain Edge/Slayer takes a serious beating and is shorter travel.

isn't the MKIII 5"? and yeah...4" plus semi-burly XC don't seem to go along to often.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the Inbred said:
isn't the MKIII 5"? and yeah...4" plus semi-burly XC don't seem to go along to often.
Not sure, but it pedals very well and is a nice balance between light/strong. I would own one in a heartbeat because I know it could handle fun trails.

be-radd

Chimp
May 31, 2004
O-town
yeah the sx rips, if you know how to flow on a trail its an awesome trail ride that you can take to the dirt jumps afterwards and still throw down, i even did a dh race on it and had respectable times. i have mine built up for 4x and it weighs in around 32 lbs and i can hang on the xc rides to, its perfect do it all bike if you ask me.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
There was the Turner XCE and the 5" RFX,If you want burly and 5"go with the Turner 6Pack/RFX front end with the 5spot rearend.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Santa Cruz Blur4x is the bike you are looking for. Longer seat tube than the Specialized SX, and a body position that can climb a lot better than the SX. It's not quite as moto going down, but it's probably a bit more suitable for trail bike purposes with the more forward and higher weight distribution.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jimmydean said:
Gee... and I can remember when 4" was considered a lot... "how in the hell can you pedal that??" :rolleyes:

"Intense Tazer" and "Burly" have never been associative terms...

Cheetabrian

Chimp
Jan 6, 2005
Planet x splittail. you can order them from zedsport.com and you can also get some good deals on building a complete bike from them. send them an email and see if what kind of deal you can get.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
maxyedor said:
Foes FXR 4x it's 6" but in the same relm. I wish Kona would make the 4" travel Dawg frame again, and just beef it up a little bit.

um 6" really isnt close to 4" i think its 2 inches bigger, im not sure though :nopity:

cheeselad

Chimp
May 17, 2006
There's also the Arson from Avent. Avent's primarily a BMX company, which might be a good sign if you're looking for burly. Haven't really heard much about the Arson though.

Edit: Looks like I'm too late.