Quantcast

Burning out!?!?!?!

Mar 22, 2005
I was wondering if it would hurt the auto transmission in my v6 passat to rev it up in neutral then slam it (without letting up on the gas) into drive so i can do an insane burn out. (I know...a passat...not really that kind of car.)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just make sure your car is pointed in the direction of a large brick wall or tree.

Aim for a Darwin award.

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
auto transmissions were NOT made to be abused that way. If you must, hold down the brake and rev it up to ~2500, but do NOT rev in neutral and drop into drive. Both are really stupid btw. if you need to impress friends, take the car to a track and learn to drive... keep it off the streets please.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
If you rev the engine in neutral and slam it in to drive, it will shock your transmission, or more likely, your propshaft(s). One or the other will fail, usually the propshaft(s).

I don't recommend trying to do a burnout with your Jetta as the components are probably a little too weak to take a lot of abuse... I will, however, share the technique most cars/trucks (Buick GN, GMC Syclone/Typhoon, Muscle Cars) with automatic transmissions use to launch at the track. You will need a matched torque convertor to exploit this technique fully:

1) Put the transmission in neutral.
2) Hold the brake down.
3) Rev the engine twice by blipping the throttle and you will feel the brake sink down. This is creating vacuum in the brake system so it will hold more power.
4) Let the RPMs drop completely down while still holding the brake.
5) When the RPMs are down all the way, shift back in to drive.
6) Keep holding the brake and give it as much gas as you can.
7) Release brake while still pressing down on the gas.

Be smart and stay safe: Practice on a track and not only will you be safer, but there will also be people around willing to help you out.

Seriously don't try this with your stock Jetta... I'm just telling you how experienced and professional drag racers do it.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Being a kid in the 70's with all the muscle cars around, even normal cars had huge block engines, peeling out was nothing out of the ordinary. People did it by mistake back then. Now when i see some kid peeling out with some foreign car, having to work so hard to do it, it just really makes me laugh, and think how stupid it is.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Skookum said:
Being a kid in the 70's with all the muscle cars around, even normal cars had huge block engines, peeling out was nothing out of the ordinary. People did it by mistake back then. Now when i see some kid peeling out with some foreign car, having to work so hard to do it, it just really makes me laugh, and think how stupid it is.
LOL, I hear that. My first car was an 1969 Oldsmobile 442, most of the time I couldn't even leave a stop light without squealing the tires a bit and that's just trying to take off at a normal speed. Those were the good old days when all you had to do is put the pedal to the floor and tires were spinning and smoking.

BTW referring to the main topic, the correct term for revving it up then putting it in drive is called a "Neutral drop". Plus don't do that in a Foreign car that's just ghey. Get yourself a real car with a real motor.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
so wait, If I take my pathfinder, push in the clutch, rev it to 5 grand and then dump the clutch in first gear, does that make me cool too?

And thats not bad for the car, right? It was made for that wasnt it?

:rolleyes:

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Passat? They dont suck. My parentals have a 1.8T that has the clutchless manual or I guess its called tiptronic. Its a blast to drive. There is some turbo lag thought but whatever.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
rpk1988 said:
Passat? They dont suck. My parentals have a 1.8T that has the clutchless manual or I guess its called tiptronic. Its a blast to drive. There is some turbo lag thought but whatever.
No they don't suck.................if you're a chick. :D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Skookum said:
Last summer I was driving an automatic 68 Mustang (fastback) with a 302 4-barrel to work. The place that I worked had a parking-lot that opened up to a really busy street. On more than one occasion, especially when traffic was busy, I ended up hitting the gas too hard, burning out and for all intents drifting into the street and right into traffic. Scared the sh*t out of me every time.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I can just imagine people from auto parts dealerships reading this thread and rubbing their hands in glee, muttering, in a Burns-esque tone, "excellent!"

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Does anyone else get the feeling he's already done this and is wondering how bad it actually was? Of course it's not good for the tranny, going from high RPM at zero load to full load at high RPM. I have a race built tranny in my truck and I wouldn't even consider doing that.

347 stroker, manual valve body c4 :drool:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, I've got a better idea. Put your car in reverse, and get going ten or fifteen mph. Then drop it into D or L and PIN IT! Burn out and take off! Yeah! Break Stuff!

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
bikenweed said:
Dude, I've got a better idea. Put your car in reverse, and get going ten or fifteen mph. Then drop it into D or L and PIN IT! Burn out and take off! Yeah! Break Stuff!
The scene where they do this in Road Warrior is awesome.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
can you say.... SHOCK LOAD!

You will blow up something FOR SURE. If your car is FWD then it could be the tranny itself or a CV joint/halfshaft. If the car is RWD then a driveshaft or possibly even ring&pinion if not tranny. NOT A GOOD IDEA! It's kinda like shifting gears while standing in a full-on uphill sprint on your bike except 100 time worse.

With that said I used to do those ("neutral drops") in my old school Toyota van when I was a dumb kid and boy was it fun. That is until I spent $800 on a new rear third member because I grenaded mine. OUCH! That's a lot of $ when your 16. Live and learn right!?

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
dexter said:
get a manual
Yeah, shattering clutch plates is WAY better. Either a) don't burn out because there isn't any good reason to or b) build your motor so you have the power to do it the "right" way, just don't forget to upgrade the rest of your drivetrain.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
punkassean said:
With that said I used to do those ("neutral drops") in my old school Toyota van when I was a dumb kid and boy was it fun. That is until I spent $800 on a new rear third member because I grenaded mine. OUCH! That's a lot of $ when your 16. Live and learn right!?
Ha! that reminded me... a couple years ago I was driving my mom's Sienna and had to fill up the tank, but in the parking lot was a bunch of tricked out rice rockets having a 'gathering' so while leaving the parking lot I hit the gas hard and peeled out in front of them.... it was classic.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Brian HCM#1 said:
LOL, I hear that. My first car was an 1969 Oldsmobile 442, most of the time I couldn't even leave a stop light without squealing the tires a bit and that's just trying to take off at a normal speed. Those were the good old days when all you had to do is put the pedal to the floor and tires were spinning and smoking.

BTW referring to the main topic, the correct term for revving it up then putting it in drive is called a "Neutral drop". Plus don't do that in a Foreign car that's just ghey. Get yourself a real car with a real motor.

Or you could get a car that is way more efficent, and just learn to peel out

crono35

Monkey
Feb 11, 2002
irvine
Brian HCM#1 said:
Plus don't do that in a Foreign car that's just ghey. Get yourself a real car with a real motor.

The 1.8T might not be the greatest thing around, but it can easily push 210/250 at the crank with the cheapest, most basic of mods. Granted, i find myself wishing for more power all the time, but ya gotta admit that's decent torque coming from 1.8 liters.