Quantcast

Bush vs. Kerry as bikers

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
From the article its clear Bush doesn't mountain bike, he just rides on smooth dirt roads - especially when you can drive an ambulance and van on them and he averages somewhere between 13-20 mph at his age...

McClellan said that Bush typically mountain bikes 15 to 20 miles, or upwards of 25 kilometers, for an hour or an hour and a half at a time, either at his ranch or Camp David. Bush also recently rode the course at a Secret Service training facility in suburban Washington, where he could be seen at a distance in a group of up to 10 helmeted cyclists, trailed by a van and an ambulance.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by syadasti
From the article its clear Bush doesn't mountain bike, he just rides on smooth dirt roads - especially when you can drive an ambulance and van on them and he averages somewhere between 13-20 mph at his age...
Still that is a pretty good pace for someone who is damn near elderly. Unless his course is all DH and he shuttles back up. :p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Still that is a pretty good pace for someone who is damn near elderly. Unless his course is all DH and he shuttles back up. :p
Seems more like the reporter was talking to someone who has no idea how fast he bikes - thats too fast a pace for most people and Bush doesn't look like he is in good shape.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
and Bush doesn't look like he is in good shape.
WTF are you talking about? The man is OLD and still runs a 21 minute, 3 miles....which is a helluva lot faster than your average politician could.
He has competitions with his secret service guys to see who can beat him on runs in 100 degree heat.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
George Bush is pyhically fit - I have no doubt he rides his mountain bike between 13 and 20 miles an hour. I ride with guys who are Bushes age and they do it all the time. He's still an asshat though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by Serial Midget
George Bush is pyhically fit - I have no doubt he rides his mountain bike between 13 and 20 miles an hour. I ride with guys who are Bushes age and they do it all the time. He's still an asshat though.
There is no way he can average 13-20 mph on real mountain bike trails. He must be riding on flat dirt roads (which is what he has around his ranch)...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
There is no way he can average 13-20 mph on real mountain bike trails. He must be riding on flat dirt roads (which is what he has around his ranch)...
why are you bagging on him? Fine if you dont like him as a president or whatever, but geez, the man rides because he likes it just like you and me.

I think its great how the bush-hating MTBers are trying to deal with this. hahahaha.

"He rides dirt roads":rolleyes: C'mon dude.

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by splat
Thats a Cool article ! thanks !
Sure thing! Who knows, maybe a few secret service guys are going to get addicted to mtbing, then wind up as monkeys on this board? Hell, maybe even the Bush becomes a member. :p

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by BurlySurly
why are you bagging on him? Fine if you dont like him as a president or whatever, but geez, the man rides because he likes it just like you and me.

I think its great how the bush-hating MTBers are trying to deal with this. hahahaha.

"He rides dirt roads":rolleyes: C'mon dude.
Its probably not him, just his press guy telling tall tales.

Again, there is no way he averages that fast. Mens WC winners usually average around 15 mph - so you are going to tell me GWB can hang with or beat them as an elderly weekend warrior :rolleyes:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN

Again, there is no way he averages that fast. Mens WC winners usually average around 15 mph - so you are going to tell me GWB can hang with or beat them as an elderly weekend warrior :rolleyes:
have these:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:eyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

...so, you are bitter because The Prez rides more than you do then...???

:p

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Im a lib on most issues and I have to give Bush props for mtbiking. Even Al Franken said Bush is the kind of guy you could enjoy a beer with. Id assume the averaging 13-20mph is some kinda misinterpretation, but it sure isnt a political thing. Im guessing the news crew was in the chase vehicle and on some descent the driver said something like, "were averaging 20 mph here." Im gonna have to turn a blind eye to the cycling platform come election day tho.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I get it now, he dropped his cocaine habit but still is into PCP - works a lot better than GU I suppose :D

brenth

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Santa Monica
Originally posted by derekbob
Im a lib on most issues and I have to give Bush props for mtbiking. Even Al Franken said Bush is the kind of guy you could enjoy a beer with.
I totally agree with you, I'm a left-leaning sorta guy, but I'd love to go for a ride with bush and then grab a beer, I bet he would be an interesting person to hang out with. But then I feel the same way about kerry. I think I'm going to have to go for a ride with both of them. I'll report back...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by brenth
I totally agree with you, I'm a left-leaning sorta guy, but I'd love to go for a ride with bush and then grab a beer, I bet he would be an interesting person to hang out with. But then I feel the same way about kerry. I think I'm going to have to go for a ride with both of them. I'll report back...
I'm pretty sure Kerry only hangs out with the Private Club types...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Originally posted by N8
Ah yeah, that totally makes sense when big business/special interest/right wing psychos totally bought this administration - I'm sure he doesn't hang out with those people :rolleyes:

Even the environmentalist and outdoorsmen republicans agreed on this and said they vote for kerry for this very reason.

I too would rather have trails than a new walmart, less hummers on the road as "business" expenses, or a violated wilderness for a few pennies of savings at the lumbermill/gas pump/paper supplier.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by N8
what N8 really meant was, "Kerry would drop me like a sack o' potatos so I'm just gonna hate the guy in advance."

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
DAMN, Kerry has an $8,000 Serotta!? I want one.

Cool article. Thanks for the link.

From what I hear, GWB does exercise pretty hard. There was an article in Men's Health magazine a while back that detailed his weight training circuit routine. It's pretty tough by anyone's standards.