Quantcast

buyin a 29er help.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
normally, I ride a large/x-large frame (20.5) with a 24-24.5" top tube. My foes fxr is this way 20.5 size frame 24" toptube...
So, I've been looking at 29er's and most in my size range with the same length toptube but a waay shorter seat tube. My question is, when ordering a 29er is the top tube length what I should be using to pick my size?
For example, the niner sir9 large has a 24.5 TT and the xl has a 25+ tt which seems a little long for my 6'2" height.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
You noticed that too, huh? I have been a critic of this type of geometry because it causes you to go with a 400mm seat post to accomodate leg length, and even then, you might be at the outer limits of the posts minimum insertion. Not very reassuring!

It seems that the way the tubes lay out, it's a bit easier to make a suspension corrected frame this way without bending the top tube. Then too, alot of early 29"er critics said you wouldn't have enough stand over with big wheels. I think the designers of 29"ers have sufficiently proven them wrong! :rolleyes:

To answer your question; no, you don't compromise your top tube length for the big wheels. You would want something as similar in length to your 26"er as possible. Again, you may need the 400mm seatpost to get the job done, or get a bike like the El Mariachi, Karate Monkey, or Astrix Rook that solve the clearance problem without resorting to rediculously short seat tubes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'd say GT has some good recommendations right there in the KM, the El Mariachi and the Astrix Rook.

I'd also throw into the mix the Qball frames from Scott Quiring, and perhaps look into the new frames from Vassago Cycles out of California.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
A new company called Siren Bikes out of Idylwild, CA has a model coming called the Trauco that has a great standover number, but uses the bent top tube, like the Astrix Rook. The Siren Trauco is an offshoot of Intense, (the owner works for Intense), so the aluminumconstruction is top notch and even custom geometry is offered, for an upcharge of course. I think the basic frame goes for $950.00 with a single color powdercoat in five different choices.

Just thought I'd mention that as they are new and their design addresses the standover issue without resorting to madly sloping top tubes.

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Actually I have found that a lot of people ar rider a little longer toptube on thier 29er and it is actually feeling the same as the shorter toptube on thier 26" bike.I know i for one am.I read the latest dirt rag review on the raliegh XXIX and the reviewer said the same thing.He took the small,which had the same length toptube as his 26" frame and the twenty niner frame was too tight in the cockpit.I can"t tell you why but I bought a med which was about and inch longer than my favorite 26" setup and it fit me fine with the same length stem.I have had 3 different 29ers now and they all have the longer toptube.My advice would be try one out first.Rent one or demo a gary fisher or something.

lovehamr

Chimp
Dec 15, 2006
When I built my 29er I went with a shorter stem because the 29er had a slightly longer TT than the 26" that I was riding before. I only rode it that way for 2 days before going back to the longer stem. I can't tell you why, but it does feel better,

Steve

crackhead

Chimp
Feb 2, 2005
I perfered a longer tt when i test rode Cannondale Caffie 29. My rockhopper is 24in and the longer 25in tt felt better.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
I've got a month old XL Monogog 29er I only ride on the street; it's like new. I'm up for a trade for a large or I'd sell it for 400.00. I may look for a geared 29er, something like the C-Dale. PM or Email if interested; I'm in Seattle

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got a month old XL Monogog 29er I only ride on the street; it's like new. I'm up for a trade for a large or I'd sell it for 400.00. I may look for a geared 29er, something like the C-Dale. PM or Email if interested; I'm in Seattle

Feel free to throw your ad up in the Buy and Sell Sticky Thread.