Quantcast

Buying stuff on Craigslist

trialsboy50

Monkey
Nov 23, 2004
I'm thinking of buying a used Canon SLR Rebel on craigslist, the SF one. Has anyone had any bad experiences with scammers and such on craiglists or is it generally pretty safe? i take general precautions from any site, especially used, but was curious on big ticket items, if anyone had any problems.

thanks
byron

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
IMHO there are legit people on CL just as there are on ebay but there are also scammers, especially since CL has none of ebay's protection. i have bought numerous low end items on CL (but always only local so i can go there and see what its like) and have never had a bad experience but i can see the potential. my advice, if its local, go check it out and make your decision but buyer beware, if its F-ed up once you get it, youre on your own getting it resolved. as far as bikes are concerned, just the way CL is setup, i think the potential for stolen stuff being sold increases.

trialsboy50 said:
I'm thinking of buying a used Canon SLR Rebel on craigslist, the SF one. Has anyone had any bad experiences with scammers and such on craiglists or is it generally pretty safe? i take general precautions from any site, especially used, but was curious on big ticket items, if anyone had any problems.

thanks
byron

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah, the benefit of CL is that it's local, so you can see it and hold it in your hands. Don't buy it if it's crap, but if it works there, it'll probably work when you get home. Just inspect it real well. I wouldn't buy over the internet off CL; since it's free, people can post whatever they want to.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I am a craigslist buyer and seller and i am happy to say I havent had any problems doing any of it. i will say however that If I am buying something I meet the person to purchase it. Or if i must I use a check that can be traced if need be. :nuts:

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
I've only sold on CL. Each time has worked out well. Sure you get your flakey customers but I'm only dealing with local folk, no shipping involved and it has been cash deals. My wife has been selling BART tickets on occasion and she has been taking checks and sending the tickets out certified mail with no complaints.

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I've bought and sold many items on Craigslist over the years and never had a problem. I only buy or sale locally and transactions are always in person and in cash.