Quantcast

Bye Bye Shuttle Truck!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
buildyourown said:
You should have gotten a stick.
You got a TDI right? IMO, the transmission choice is what makes or breaks that engine.
i thought she was getting a TDI from earlier threads, too, but this one says VR6 on the back... :dancing:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
buildyourown said:
You should have gotten a stick.
You got a TDI right? IMO, the transmission choice is what makes or breaks that engine.
I can't drive a stick for another 6 weeks :angry: No, it's not a TDI. It's a VR6....TDI waggons are non-excistent....and we would have only bought one of those in a stick

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Welcome to the VW family. Yeah, TDI wagons are hard to get...especially now w/ the gas prices and all. Looks nekkid without bikes on it.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Borneo said:
Where's the bike racks?
ggrubb said:
Needs a hitch to haul the shuttle trailer!!!
We are working on a roof rack for it as we speak, but this is what interests me.

Five said:
Welcome to the VW family. Yeah, TDI wagons are hard to get...especially now w/ the gas prices and all.
We were looking for a diesel, but a deisel wagon, golf or even sedans for that matter are non-existant and when they do show up the dealers are demanding a premium (read: bending you over) for them.
As far as the VR6 that was a demand on my part as I am a lead foot and would have felt like I wasn't getting everything I am making a payment on without the power. :eviltongu In VW's defense they did give us a Jetta sedan loaner on Sunday night that was a base (2.0l) and it wasn't that bad even with the auto. But this will be our traveling car and with a rocket box (see Brock, I finally have something to put that on!), 2-4 bikes that will potentially be on the roof I felt the torque of the VR6 would be better for that situation.
Besides, when I had my '95 Passat GLX wagon (VR6/5sp) it was rated at around 25mpg and I regularly got around 29 even with 2 bikes on the sportworks on the back. This one is rated at 26 hwy so I figure if we get anywhere close to that were all good.
Oh, my crew cab got a best of 15mpg (1 bike, tailgate down) but averaged around 12.5 and Amy's truck probably got closer to 20 so our net gain is from 25%-50% better mpg. And it has the VR6!

blt2ride said:
That's pretty nice of you to use your new car for some shuttle runs...
I still have my '86 GMC 4x4 so we are covered on that. But in a pinch see the link above...

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
That trailer's kinda cool, hmmmm :think:

Who was your salesperson at Carter? I bought mine at Carter too and worked w/ Rose. I had to wait a couple of weeks for my TDI, but it was worth it - then again this was last summer. I couldn't haggle on the price because of the demand. I like that blue color! A friend of mine got a Jetta Sedan a few months ago - I guess he had to get it from Idaho or something. He didn't have much choice on the color...so his is silver.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
I'm feeling the $$ bite. I drove the family mini-van (2000 Mazda MPV) to Sun Peaks and slept in the back in the parking lot. I love driving my truck, but damn, costs a fortune.

The sleeping in the back of the van totally kicked over sleepin in a tent. No setup, level, dry, quiet (I can snore as loud as I want). It needs a hitch on it for rackin.

Back when we bought it, I hated the idea of getting a "mini-van". But with a couple kids and hauling them around it made scense. Now it might make scense for my own selfish needs.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
ggrubb said:
Back when we bought it, I hated the idea of getting a "mini-van". But with a couple kids and hauling them around it made scense. Now it might make scense for my own selfish needs.
I have always liked the '95 and up Chev Astro vans, especially with the AWD. But they are only good for just under 20mpg. And I hate to say this, but other than trucks I tend to stay away from american made cars. There are a few cars that have/would get the better of my best judgement - Buick Grand National, GMC Typhoon, anything Saleen built, etc.

As far as the only finding VW's in silver I hear ya'! We even told the guy when we were looking at it that we wanted anything but silver (and the wheat biege) :nope: . I forgot his name but he was pretty low key. We pretty much sold ourselves on the car so he didn't have much to do.
One thing, next time I'm leaving Amy at home when I go looking at cars because she's willing to give up the house - she doesn't understand the whole back and forth thing that goes on when negotiating things. They said "all we can give you is X" and she says OK! Probably could have got a few $1000 more on the trade :mumble:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
trailhacker said:
One thing, next time I'm leaving Amy at home when I go looking at cars because she's willing to give up the house - she doesn't understand the whole back and forth thing that goes on when negotiating things. They said "all we can give you is X" and she says OK! Probably could have got a few $1000 more on the trade :mumble:
Hey! I was just being nice! :monkey:

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
Five said:
2 words - "ear plugs"

believe me - it works!
When we were at Crankworx, I saw the panic look when you told Rainier that you only had one set of ear plugs, none for him.

Besides, it keeps the bears away.

But really, how bad could it be? I never hear it.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
trailhacker said:
silver (and the wheat biege)
I wanted the blue you guys got or the red, but my options were silver or wheat beige. Wheat beige - a couple of days wait, it's on the truck. Silver - couple of weeks. Blue or Red - oh, a month or two maybe longer. I hate the wheat beige. Hmmm, I got silver.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
ggrubb said:
When we were at Crankworx, I saw the panic look when you told Rainier that you only had one set of ear plugs, none for him.

Besides, it keeps the bears away.

But really, how bad could it be? I never hear it.
hahaha - it worked so well, I didn't hear you get up, take a shower and leave. I should've held out on the ear plugs until the very last moment - that would've been wrong though.