> > > airfield outside Dallas, for the roll out
> > >
> > > of the CV-22 aircraft. The people arranging
> > >
> > > the ceremonies were warned that the runway
> > >
> > > could not handle an aircraft as heavy as
> > >
> > > the C-130. These warnings were ignored.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
And a C130 is tiny....you should see what happenned at an air show near my parents place when they decided to land a C-5 Galaxy on a runway that was not even close to being able to handle it....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Yeah those suckers are huge but the weight is spread out over lots and lots of wheels... not so with the U2 which has only 4 wheels.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
They fly the c5's into the airport by my house. My buddy spent the weekend cleaning one (he's in the reserves).
I'd rather get a free pontiac from Opra than wash a C5

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Bwahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I wonder if the owners manual says what to do in this kind of situation.

J

JRB

stosh said:
They fly the c5's into the airport by my house. My buddy spent the weekend cleaning one (he's in the reserves).
I'd rather get a free pontiac from Opra than wash a C5

Uhm - this thread is about C-130s.

J

JRB

Uhhh - ok

Four C-130 transports, full of dignitaries and other stuff, were flown to Textron's airfield outside Dallas, for the roll out of the CV-22 aircraft. The people arranging the ceremonies were warned that the runway could not handle an aircraft as heavy as the C-130. These warnings were ignored.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco-gringo said:
Uhhh - ok

Four C-130 transports, full of dignitaries and other stuff, were flown to Textron's airfield outside Dallas, for the roll out of the CV-22 aircraft. The people arranging the ceremonies were warned that the runway could not handle an aircraft as heavy as the C-130. These warnings were ignored.
imagine someone actually used the words "other stuff" in an article the wrote.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Transcend said:
That would be the one. Second largest transport in thr world i think behind that funky looking russian topulov one.
I think that technically that is not true. The Russian equivalent is larger, but they also have a one-off aircraft designed to haul around their now-defunct shuttle orbiter that is even bigger.
I believe that the actual cargo capacity of a C-5 is somewhere over 150 tons- just high enough to carry 2 M-1 tanks.
One of my neighbors is a retired C-5 pilot.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Repack said:
I think that technically that is not true. The Russian equivalent is larger, but they also have a one-off aircraft designed to haul around their now-defunct shuttle orbiter that is even bigger.
I believe that the actual cargo capacity of a C-5 is somewhere over 150 tons- just high enough to carry 2 M-1 tanks.
One of my neighbors is a retired C-5 pilot.
Here ya go it's called an Antonov AN-225 Dream.
Over 15olbs of rubber go up in smoke EVERYTIME it lands!!! :eek:

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Dimensions: span 88.4m (290ft); length 84.0 m (275ft 7 in). height 18.1 m (59 ft 43/4 in); tailplane span 32.65 m (107ft 11/2in); length of freight hold 43 m (141 ft