Quantcast

CAD Programms

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
I know many of u work with cad...was interested to know what programms u use and in what country u are...just curious...I m in switzerland and use NX4

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
2006 Autocad LT
Architect from Virginia

Just went to a seminar yesterday on Autocad Revit, powerful program but the learning curve would be rather severe from switching from regular Autocad.

trialsmasta

Monkey
Oct 19, 2001
Austin TX
I'm in the US, we use Pro/E Wildfire 2.0, sometimes Solidworks and I have about 3-1/2 years of Inventor use.

I've learned over the years no matter what CAD program you're using it always sucks for some reason. Pro/E is a powerful tool, but it takes the cake for sucking. It comes with snazzy features like the 80Hz refresh rate power close, and intuitive memory erase when your mouse hovers over the save button. And oh god do I love the new hole wizard wizard :banghead:

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
In any given day I use: Cadkey, Autocad, Mastercam, Surfcam, Illustrator (I convert cad into AI all the time for artists). We also have Solidworks and I think we may be starting to do some things on that platform too.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
so no fellow NX4 users?...is it me or it s only used here in europe?:S
I used it in the capacity of being a "checker" of military aerospace (F-15 laser guided fastener) models. All I was doing was using the measurement functions, but it didn't seem too bad.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
my client has seats of many of them:
Solidworks, Rhino, Alias, Surfacer, ProE i2, ProE Wildfire and I use SurfCAM for them. I dabble in Wildfire mainly for file translation and analysis because I haven't found anything that does a better job.

They have a tight relationship with PTC and the power users rarely complain about Wildfire. In fact, they mainly complain about Solidworks. I hear Wildfire 4.0 is supposed to have some powerful surfacing tools.
We just brought a new Eden 350V online that is pretty sweet so far. The software, Objet Studio is pretty clunky though which is surprising given the $175K price tag of the machine.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Solidworks now and no reason to have Autocad around for legacy stuff anymore with the SW drawing editor.

Last job was some SW, some Pro/E Wildfire, and they were starting in with Catia 5 when I left. I'm sure that is going over wonderfully since the old engineering crew was used to SW, the tooling/lofting department used Pro/E exclusively, the CMM department had to convert everything to another format for the Brown & Sharpe software, and the new division was on Catia since they have to share drawings with other locations around the world.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
United States

I use Pro-E Wildfire. I haven't used SW since V8. I like Pro-E pretty well, but without having used SW in such a long time, I can't make a fair comparison.

I use it for oilfield product design.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Grew up on Autocad (father is an engineer too)
After graduating college it was Pro/E
Last job was Unigraphics
Now solidworks.

I miss UG... so freaking smart and easy once you start learn how the system interprets things.

from the US

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Can anyone reccomend a CAD program that is MAC compatible? Does such a thing exist?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Haha, no. Somebody made a Photoshop plug-in once that operates like cad. That's probably the closest you'll get.

Been using Solid Works and AutoCAD for about 4 years now, in the U.S.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Proficient in Pro-E, AutoCAD, SolidWorks.
OK with Rhino.

Prefer SolidWorks immensely. Every bike part that I have ever worked on was processed through Solidworks at some point.