Quantcast

Cal-State Course

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It looks like Donnie Jackson of Southridge Racing is going to make a nice course for the Cal State series race. According to the buzz, he will take out the wall and make a much more technical course...sounds good to me!

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
lovebunny said:
well dude, thats good for you, less time on the course is less chances you have to fall :eviltongu
hahaha lol

Hopefully it's longer than a minute! haha They might have to make some new trails on their to lengthen that dh part, if they wanna make up for takin out the wall.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Short doesn't mean bad. I for one am glad about that, since I have been injured the last 3 weeks (ankle).

People were running 1:30s at firestone and nobody really complained about the course.

D....Do you think I could get a way with medium DH tube and single-ply if I'm careful?

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Bacardi said:
Short doesn't mean bad. I for one am glad about that, since I have been injured the last 3 weeks (ankle).

People were running 1:30s at firestone and nobody really complained about the course.

D....Do you think I could get a way with medium DH tube and single-ply if I'm careful?
It might be too rocky...

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
If you run a single ply, I'd run a a thicker DH tube. Like what is medium to you? Avenir's DH tube's are 1.2mm thick, where as Intense's DH tubes are frickin thick at 1.7mm. I got a pinch flat in an Avenir DH tube while runnin a 2ply Hutchison tire. I've been riding these Intense tubes with 2 ply tires for a couple weeks now, and I haven't and don't expect to have any problems with them for awhile. I would only run a thinner DH tube with a 4ply tire, to reduce weight. I only weigh 140 lbs, and I ride pretty much like an average DH beginner. Run some nice Maxxis minion 2.5/2.3 or Intense 909 EX 2.5/2.3's with a nice maxxis or intense tubes. I honestly think those would be some of the better tire and tube combo's for Fontana.

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
I use IRC DH tubes, I guess they are Light for DH (says so Go-ride.com Tube page ). Don't know thickness or weight in grams.

For those who have been riding/racing Fontana I was wondering if the rocks can be maneuvered through or if the rock gardens are too long and have sharp edges and/or you will hit some no matter what.

I'll be riding the expert course. I know it changes all the time though. FWIW I'm not a rock plower, but am kinda smooth (still working on this though).

At any rate, I'll bring both 2.5" 2-ply tires and and 2.35" singles.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Bacardi said:
I use IRC DH tubes, I guess they are Light for DH (says so Go-ride.com Tube page ). Don't know thickness or weight in grams.

For those who have been riding/racing Fontana I was wondering if the rocks can be maneuvered through or if the rock gardens are too long and have sharp edges and/or you will hit some no matter what.

I'll be riding the expert course. I know it changes all the time though. FWIW I'm not a rock plower, but am kinda smooth (still working on this though).

At any rate, I'll bring both 2.5" 2-ply tires and and 2.35" singles.
On the normal course they have been running throughout the winter and spring series there has been nothing with long sharp rock sections, it's been more like a few rocks every now and then that are negotiated around/through. BUT, who knows with this new course.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well from my experience, the rock gardens are small in length, but you can't really go around them. It's really loose/sandy there, flat corners and switchbacks, a couple rock faces, some small drops, and a couple of jumps. It's a short course, and normally has a portion known as the "wall", which is mostly flat and a lot of pedaling with a couple rock sections, but word has it Don Jackson the organizer, is going to take that out for the Cal State Race. Most people run 2.5" and a lot run 2.7 up front with a 2.5 or 2.3/2.35 in the back. It's some pretty good technical riding and pretty fun, but with the summer just about here, it get's really hot out.

Alex966

Monkey
May 6, 2005
Charlotte, NC
My first race was the 2nd Spring fling race at fontana, and last weekend at fontana for the #3 spring fling was my 2nd race. I only have one mtn bike, and it's my everything bike. A Giant NRS XTC3, we some upgrades for DH. It sucks doin downhill on it, I especially hate the Rock Shox Psylo XC that i have on it. I wish I had a Marzocchi Z or a manitou sherman something, any of the sherman's I'd be happy with.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I think it's better to be safe than sorry...I will be running DH tires only...It would suck to drive all that way to contest the Cal. State Championship just to flat during a run....D

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I couldn't make it to the Cal State DH course construction party this weekend, did anybody go out and help? If so, any word on the new course, where it starts, ends, etc?

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Fonzie18 said:
I'm running 3.0 Gazzalodis with DH slime tubes and liners. I'm getting ready to plow straight through all the "technical" rock gardens and huck everything possible. Smooth is fast? Pshhhh, PIN IT BITCH!! :evil:
You better run heavy tires or the wind will blow you over.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
downhillzeypher said:
All I know is what my friend who was there told me... the wall is most def. not part of the course... (so it's not a rumor!)
I can't wait to ride it. Now that the wall is gone I might do semi decent :D

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
They'll prolly just have it at the road crossing.

Bring all of them... I dunno how tech it's supposed to be, but hell it's Fontana, not Bootleg. You could probably get away with a little bike.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Heath Sherratt said:
How will they run the finish if there is no wall? there seems to be no way around it to the end. Please tell me, please. Small bike, big bike, or medium bike?
My thoughts too, I'm a little skeptical...Maybe getting rid of the wall means hiking up even higher in the 100-degree heat?

Is it possible they could be running the course down the other side of the mountain and cutting a totally new trail?

I would just bring the medium bike, it's not like they can bring in WC gnar to the course.