Quantcast

California Colleges

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
So I am taking a year off from school and then going somewhere else, after this semester. I need to go somewhere where I can actually ride, Chicago just isn't doing it for me. It would be great to be able to ride year round. I am looking at going to school in California somewhere. I know there are tons of great riding spots, but I wondered if anyone on here could recommend an area with great riding and good schools around. Preferably not in LA. Also I am a photographer, and photo major so I will be looking for a school with a photo program. Thanks for any advice or thoughts.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Cal Poly SLO, beautiful area, tons of riding and a great school. I am not sure about their photographer program, it might be within graphic arts...I would check it out. I would also check out some Bay area colleges if you don't like LA, or even san diego.

SuperJ

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Tahoe
clicky sierra nevada college would be my pick. there's a kickass photo program and you can ride year round no matter what anyone says. :thumb:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Definitely not Cal Poly SLO. The photo program is really hard to get into, and the riding will not be fun for you at all. I'm trying to take some photo classes, and I can't get any as an English major, you have to be an Art major. Once you get into the major, there are very fews classes offered in photography. I've had many a friend drop out/reconsider their major after suffering through our horrible photo depertment. Go check out SJSU or UCSC for a good photo program. Way better for what you are into. I'd say UCSC is the best for what you're looking for. Plus you'll like the riding way more.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Brooks in Ventura...the riding in Ventura is so-so....but you can get to all the good stuff with a short drive.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
UCSC is in Santa Cruz with some good riding spots around. I'm not sure about their photo program, but I think they have an established motion picture program. The campus is huge though, the lower campus has all the buildings and upper campus is all open space, with a bunch of sweet DH trails. And there are good DJ spots in Aptos.

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Chico State. Decent riding. Close to tahoe. great partying. Good bike team. And oh yeah, more partying. Dont know much about the photo program, but I am sure it is top notch.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If your porftolio is strong enough look into CalArts. It is in valenica, which is suburbuan hell, but that happens to be where hi-torque and some other publishers are located, so there is the potential for killer internships that involve free bikeparts and taking pictures of pro DH/moto riders. There is good enough riding in the hills around there. I'd look for a place in Ventura

justhuckit

Chimp
Feb 6, 2005
san jose, ca
santa cruz(ucsc). my faverite ridings all around there. theres a bus that runs fromk the bottom of the trails to the top, and theres some good photo omps over there. theres also carlmont about and hr drive from there. then u got da lavaga and post office.
-kyle

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
marlopez said:
i say cal poly slo.
jeff: why wouldnt he like the riding?
Seriously... riding is out the back door of the school (i.e. closer than when in SB) and is just as good as anywhere. The scene, at least when I was there 2 years ago, is growing SO fast. Some of the riders for near-by Santa Margarita are building crazy trails all over the ridge. Dirt jumps (TORKER, which is crazy) are relatively close, and the riding up on Cuesta Ridge is bad-a$$. How many school-towns in CA have a trail like Face? The team is huge, and there are always people to ride with.

Now if your argument is primarily with the photo prgm, then I understand.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
guys thanks very much for the info. Yes the photo program is very important, where ever I go there has to be a decent photo program. I am looking to go out on the West Coast because I want to be able to ride a lot. I am also looking at school in vancouver, but the whole thing getting a job and such in a different country is real difficult. It would be nice to not have to deal with winter anymore coming from Vermont. I will research what you guys have said and if you have any other ideas in the surrounding warmer areas tell me. i.e. Arizona, Utah, etc.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Brian HCM#1 said:
Great riding go to UC Santa Barbara.
:stupid:

Seeing as I'm a UCSB student, the riding here puts pretty much everything else to shame. The school ain't too bad either, and a campus directly on the beach is a nice bonus. :thumb:

L

Lightninleana

Does anyone know what the Cal Poly business program is like... I'm looking to go to school somewhere warm next fall.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
the business program at cal poly is huuuuuuge. the guy that started kinko's and the people that started jamba juice all went here and started those companies as senior projects. the guy that started kinko's donates millions and built a huge business building.

SuperJ

Chimp
Feb 2, 2003
Tahoe
dexterq20 said:
:stupid:

Seeing as I'm a UCSB student, the riding here puts pretty much everything else to shame. The school ain't too bad either, and a campus directly on the beach is a nice bonus. :thumb:

it doesnt put the riding here to shame. :thumb: