Quantcast

California cops want to crush illegal street racing... literally!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
yeah I pretty much watch all forms of auto racing except Nascar..I wonder how the Camry is doing...do you follow it at all?...D
I might be a white male living in the midwest of the USA, but I'd rather poke my eyes out with a spoon than watch NASCAR.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Top gear? That's opinion based no? I'm talking about actual racing not driving....where the clock provides actual results. The 2 FWD cars in the top 10 have competed against the likes of Porsches, Skylines, 350z's, WRX's, Evo's etc....but you already have your mind made up....D
I'm talking the list they have based on track times for stock cars raced on the same track by the same driver. Opinions don't matter.

I guess you can make a Civic perform well, but how much money has been spent on those 2 FWD cars in order to make them compete at that level? How well would those drivers do in something like a stock S2000 or NSX?

I have seen a lot of people spend a lot of money trying to polish a turd only to end up with a brown rag. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I would rather start with a good known base than try to make something out of nothing.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Agreed and agreed.

Fluff, I guess I'm missing the transition from F1 tech to the "My V-Tech kicked in, YO" mindset and what it has to do with a US manufacturer winning an F1 race. I guess once Toyota starts detroying NASCAR we'll start to see some innovation in American cars?
The F1 question was posed simply cos it occurred to me and I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone new (cos I didn't without checking).

I see no correlation between F1 and road cars, and if anything I was trying to highlight the inevitability of this thread descending into pointless and irrelevant argument...

Still, anyone know? (and out of interest not a lot of Japanese or German built cars have won either in the last 50 years).

So.. clearly the Italians and the English build the best cars... :biggrin:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I'm talking the list they have based on track times for stock cars raced on the same track by the same driver. Opinions don't matter.

I guess you can make a Civic perform well, but how much money has been spent on those 2 FWD cars in order to make them compete at that level? How well would those drivers do in something like a stock S2000 or NSX?

I have seen a lot of people spend a lot of money trying to polish a turd only to end up with a brown rag. Maybe I'm just lazy, but I would rather start with a good known base than try to make something out of nothing.
true comparing stock cars with no mods I can see many FWD cars not doing so well...but I can see why the Civic is such a popular platform.

Step1- Buy a used civic/integra for 3 grand
Step 2- Drop $12,000 in performance mods.
Step 3- Smoke any S2000 or NSX that will cost you a minimum of 20$0,000 just to buy a stock version.

Don't get me wrong I know you can tune a NSX or S2000 to kill any Civic...but money become a huge factor. My Integra was stomping all over S2000's, NSX's, Camro's, Vette's etc....and I spend less than half on my car than the others....but now I'm trying to get ahold of a Skyline:monkeydance:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Still, anyone know? (and out of interest not a lot of Japanese or German built cars have won either in the last 50 years).
I assume you're not referring to engine manufacturers in F1? Honda straight up DOMINATED Formula 1 for a long time, and so did BMW and Mercedes if I remember correctly. Ferrari was mostly a laughing stock until Schumacher arrived.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I assume you're not referring to engine manufacturers in F1? Honda straight up DOMINATED Formula 1 for a long time, and so did BMW if I remember correctly. Ferrari was a lauging stock until Schumacher arrived.
Nope - chassis manufacturers, mostly they had success with different engines whilst the engines have not always done so well in their own companies cars (Honda being a great example).

Ferrari where in a bad patch before Schumacher but were still one of the most successful outfits over time, champs in '75, '77, '79 for example and close in '90.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah I dunno why Japanese companies haven't really made a solid stab at chassis development. I'd bet a solid number of the employees at McLaren/Sauber/Williams, etc are Japanese though.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
true comparing stock cars with no mods I can see many FWD cars not doing so well...but I can see why the Civic is such a popular platform.

Step1- Buy a used civic/integra for 3 grand
Step 2- Drop $12,000 in performance mods.
Step 3- Smoke any S2000 or NSX that will cost you a minimum of 20$0,000 just to buy a stock version.

Don't get me wrong I know you can tune a NSX or S2000 to kill any Civic...but money become a huge factor. My Integra was stomping all over S2000's, NSX's, Camro's, Vette's etc....and I spend less than half on my car than the others....but now I'm trying to get ahold of a Skyline:monkeydance:
And how much does that Civic/Integra sell for after you get bored? I see your point, but this is more of my idea.

Step 1- Buy a used 300zx twin turbo for $6000
Step 2- Drive it.
Step 3- Get bored after a few years and sell it for $5800

Or this:

Step 1- Buy a used RX7 turbo for $6000
Step 2- Spend $6000 in mods
Step 3- Smoke any civic with 12k in mods.

You end up saving $3k (maybe much more) when you start with a good known base. Rear wheel drive, independent rear suspension, rear disc brakes, factory turbo plumbing.

Again, maybe I'm just lazy, but my '83 Supra cost $300. Had I spent $1000 on a 7mgte engine and another $1000 in supporting upgrades, my guess is it would have done very well against any $12k Civic. I know how well my '72 240z did against just about ANYTHING and it was only $3000 when I was done.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Yeah I dunno why Japanese companies haven't really made a solid stab at chassis development. I'd bet a solid number of the employees at McLaren/Sauber/Williams, etc are Japanese though.
You'd be wrong about all three I think - I have passing acquaintance with employees of both McLaren and Williams and I know that they are predominantly English with some continental Europeans thrown in.

Sauber I am less familiar with but as they were until recently a midfield Swiss team and are now owned by BMW I would expect few Japanese there.

The prevailing wisdom is that the Japanese corporate ethos does not translate well to the team need (read chassis/aero as opposed to engine/power).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've done plenty of research. I have also driven a lot of cars. My CRX was "sporty", but it was far from a sports car. How many FWD cars are on the Top Gear list?

I guess my idea of performance is different than yours.

Not sure what Corvettes people are referring to as HUGE or FAT:

2005 Corvette
Wheelbase (mm):2686

Overall length (mm):4435

Overall width (mm):1844

Track (mm):front: 1577 rear: 1542

Curb weight (kg): est. 1470

2005 Civic
Wheelbase (mm):2635

Overall length (mm):4250

Overall width (mm): 1760

Track (mm):front: 1504 rear: 1510

Curb weight (kg): est. 1310
The 05-newer 'Vette is the only decent sports car Detroit has ever produced...Unless you count the Ford GT.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
And how much does that Civic/Integra sell for after you get bored? I see your point, but this is more of my idea.

Step 1- Buy a used 300zx twin turbo for $6000
Step 2- Drive it.
Step 3- Get bored after a few years and sell it for $5800

Or this:

Step 1- Buy a used RX7 turbo for $6000
Step 2- Spend $6000 in mods
Step 3- Smoke any civic with 12k in mods.

You end up saving $3k (maybe much more) when you start with a good known base. Rear wheel drive, independent rear suspension, rear disc brakes, factory turbo plumbing.

Again, maybe I'm just lazy, but my '83 Supra cost $300. Had I spent $1000 on a 7mgte engine and another $1000 in supporting upgrades, my guess is it would have done very well against any $12k Civic. I know how well my '72 240z did against just about ANYTHING and it was only $3000 when I was done.
I see your point, the Z and the RX7 are both very solid and quick platforms, but there's a few factors you aren't thinking about when you see the prevalence of compact FWD tuner cars:

A) Availability - If I were to look around Salt Lake today, I'd be willing to bet 50$ I couldn't locate a used TT 300ZX or RX7 (newest gens), but I'd probably be able to find 1000 Civics/Integras/Corollas/etcs around.

B) Insurance costs - My VW costs $400 every six months to insure. I'm too lazy to check, but I'm damn near positive anything fast stock isn't going to fit that bill.

C) Practicality - You can use a tuned compact as a daily driver, drive it in the canyons, in the snow, haul bikes, etc...

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
Not all rice burners are FWD civics. I have a 240sx, and it handles much better than a stock mustang or camaro. Now a corvette is in a different catagory, a skyline or supra is a better match if you are going to be comparing cars.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
yeah insurance on my Teg was 1200 a year for full coverage and they new I raced it...D
My Supra was $82 a month for full coverage (multi car discount and I have renters insurance too, but still).

After driving my friends 350z last week, I need to get myself one. I just sold my Supra to buy a bike, but that 6 speed setup is bad ass! The throw on the shifter is awesome. He got the base model (enthusiast?) and I wouldn't change a thing!

I miss my '72 240z though, I just don't know if I can find another that isn't either a rust bucket, or so overpriced it's a joke. I want to built it out like this:

Datsun Z based kit. It's the hotness.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
My Supra was $82 a month for full coverage (multi car discount and I have renters insurance too, but still).

After driving my friends 350z last week, I need to get myself one. I just sold my Supra to buy a bike, but that 6 speed setup is bad ass! The throw on the shifter is awesome. He got the base model (enthusiast?) and I wouldn't change a thing!

I miss my '72 240z though, I just don't know if I can find another that isn't either a rust bucket, or so overpriced it's a joke. I want to built it out like this:

Datsun Z based kit. It's the hotness.
now that's a sweet ride...D

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Again, maybe I'm just lazy, but my '83 Supra cost $300. Had I spent $1000 on a 7mgte engine and another $1000 in supporting upgrades, my guess is it would have done very well against any $12k Civic.
An old supra has an outrageous price/performance ratio. So ridiculously easy to make it fast... and relatively easy to make it handle.

However, for autocross, I think a CRX with the same investment might win by virtue of weight and wheelbase...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
...but now I'm trying to get ahold of a Skyline:monkeydance:
rad. love those cars. i'm seeing quite a few around these days (along with swarms of the funny little japanese market micro vans & cars). i imagine the r33's should be coming over here soon (assuming the 15 year import restriction). is servicing / getting parts for these cars an issue?

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't think so...I'm looking into that now...but companies like HKS and Blitz offer a good selection not to mention a few others. I went to the local Nissan dealer and they said they can get and fix about 90% of whatever I may need. As soon as I buy a house the Skyline is next...D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
The prevailing wisdom is that the Japanese corporate ethos does not translate well to the team need (read chassis/aero as opposed to engine/power).
Which is odd, because Honda is an English team and Toyota is a German team...

There really aren't any "Japanese" F1 teams. There are Japanese companies that pay through the nose to come in 12-20th place though :D