Quantcast

California/Nevada and those that travel to the area.....need feedback

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm hoping to use this thread as info to the powers that be so I'd like some honest input.

Some friends and I have approached a ski area here in north Lake Tahoe about a mountain bike park and they're listening. As it stands, it sounds like they were already thinking of putting on some sort of event next year but without a clear idea of what yet. We'd like them to open up for at least weekend operations on a regular basis.......possibly have some sort of opening or even several events.

I'm not naming the spot because this is just now being discussed, but the area has a history of hosting sort of "less mainstream" activities. They've held mt board races, motorcycle trials, dh bike races, a 24 hr race and were one of the first places in the country to allow snowboards way back when.

The location could potentially put us in competition with the existing lift accessed mtn already here (Northstar). So what we're proposing to do is basically build the things that Northstar won't. Jumps, bridges, skinnies, as well as reopening a former dh course already on the property.....maybe change it up a bit.

So I'd like to know how much interest there would be in something like this. We're willing to do the trailwork for free in exchange just for having this stuff available since building in the area on public lands is impossible around here. Having a demonstrated client potential would certainly make turning the lifts in summer time more appealing if they can have a reasonable expectation to cover their costs and maybe make some money.

So a more 'freeride' oriented offering in the north Tahoe area........what do you think?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Are you kidding me?

I would sleep in my truck and dig from morning until night. I think it would kick ass.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
^i'd definately do the same, except i don't have a car, so i'd sleep outside.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Its safe to say yes

If the trails are built with a little thing called "flow" many peeps would skip gnar* up entirely
If it happens I'm moving up there, F**k my job.

Question: Is the land the ski resort on U.S.F.S. land? If yes, expect huge headaches trying to get it approved. See Mt Baldy thread in So-cal forum.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
As far a a client base... I know myself as well as at least a dozen other people from my locale would be up there at least a couple weekends a month...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The land is privately owned by the area. It would be impossible otherwise.

A-line might be a little ambitious at this point;) But I know for a fact that I and the rest of the crew that would be doing the building are extremely motivated and work hard to build things well. We'll be riding on whatever we create too so it will be fun.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
The land is privately owned by the area. It would be impossible otherwise.

A-line might be a little ambitious at this point;) But I know for a fact that I and the rest of the crew that would be doing the building are extremely motivated and work hard to build things well. We'll be riding on whatever we create too so it will be fun.
mr. amyd is a landscape architect. has offered his services for free to n* for assisting in laying out new trails and they've shown no interest. if you needed his assistance, i know he'd love to help out.

(fyi - he's done resort design work for n*, heavenly, squaw, kirkwood, etc....)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My experience as a member of the Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship, i.e. the people who maintain the Downieville trails, is that a good organization is critical to encouraging volunteers.

The last big Trail Daze in October had over 60 volunteers, including some people who didn't even ride, and the general consensus it was a well-organized event and a good time by everyone. The reason for the large turnout is the organizers spent a lot of time promoting this event as well as building the Stewardship over the years.

Now a lot can be done with a few dedicated volunteers, but ultimately a good organization, whether it is sponsored by the private resort or a non-profit, will ensure the work will get done.

Personally, you can count me in to dig.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'd make it up there. The trails don't even need any extra features as long as they are either fast or really, really curvy. IMO the best plan would be to also have a bunch of trails running down the mountain, but with a well developed bikepark as well. That way us XC nerds can get our DH flow on while the huckers can ride the skinnies all at the same place. This would make finding people to carpool with much easier. :)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'd be totally down for making a weekend trip or two in the summer if something like that happened and it beat Deel Varrey (Not hard...)

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
it's a bit of a drive for me, but i'd be up there a few time a summer with a car full of friends.

one point to bring up with them is all the skiers and snowboarders with nothing to do in the summer are potential cross over customers. same mentality, ready to spend money on tickets, food and gear.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
Well of course I'm down for some new construction, that is, as soon as I'm out of the weeds.

This is all probably not going to happen until snow melt... right?

Do I get to rehab the old dual course into something sweet??????:brows:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'd make it up there. The trails don't even need any extra features as long as they are either fast or really, really curvy. IMO the best plan would be to also have a bunch of trails running down the mountain, but with a well developed bikepark as well. That way us XC nerds can get our DH flow on while the huckers can ride the skinnies all at the same place. This would make finding people to carpool with much easier. :)
I totally agree.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Are you kidding me?

I would sleep in my truck and dig from morning until night. I think it would kick ass.
I totally agree with that and the guy below the quote. I'll camp out like no other. I'll be heading down to Santa Cruz for school this fall, but if digging continues, I'd probably still be down.

Not to mention, I've got at least two cats who'd be down for digging.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my family has a house over the kingsbury grade in markleville, about 20 minutes from kirkwood. i have been attempting some trail work up there on the existing singletracks around there and have been planning some work on some of the surrounding passes. now that this may be working, i'm seriously going to see if i can get up there often to help out. i'm getting my license 3 months late, March 23, but I'll be up there a lot once I have my car. just let me know where and when and i'll be there with my rake and shovel.

freerider858

Chimp
Aug 14, 2005
Bay Area
Im on the South Shore in the summer and have a plethora of power tools and lots of building experieince with north shore stuff. I would definatley help out despite the long drive.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I would sell my brother-in-law, along with my wife's entire family, into white slavery if it would help this to happen.

I'll be out there for the summer, 'cause I'm not loving it out here, so I'd gladly camp and dig for the whole thing.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I you were behind the design? yes. With your background of riding and racing, I know that you would be able to design fun, challenging, techinical courses that flow and make you want to go back. I stopped rding n* except for races becausee all it did was hurt me and my bike. Not worth it imho. However, a Kevin designed course? One with jumps, burms, tech, wide open, catwalks, and multilines? I'd dust my dh off for that.

I like the idea and think it would be great. But If there are 2 Resorts in Tahoe the Business will be split between the 2. If one resort starts to get more business the other resort will lose business, and if the losing resort loses enough business it could shut down leaving us with one resort again.

Now if this new resort builds everything N* doesn;t have It will be SICK, but will it also Have what N* has? N* has been an AMAZING place to go to and ride at for a weekend, the trails are SWEET, technical, difficult, and fun. It is also has the best trails to train on in NorCal. the rock gardens are INTENSE, if you can pin N*'s Rock gardens, you can pin almost anything out there. However much i would love to have a place that has more slopestyle/shore riding, i think it would be a negative solution to N*'s lack of Slopestyle/shore riding.

Rather than trying to get a WHOLE other resort to build these things, we should be working togeather to bring Slopestyle and shore riding to N*. So when the Original trails of N* are combined with Slopestyle and shore riding, N* will become THE destination Spot for Lift access riding In NOR-CAL; which in turn, will boost N*'s business further incouraging N* to up their support and contribution to fueling the Sports of Gravity Riders.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Yea, and then when sh!t* leaves you high and dry again for another season to build a Ritz for the Bay Area soccer mommies you can be SOL and JWF.

When it comes to N*, I tell you what, sh!t in one hand and hope in the other, and see which fills up first.

And when did Truckee become "NOR-CAL?"

Racerx7734

Monkey
Mar 4, 2002
Hostile Sausage
Sweet............we have a HUGE community of freeriders, DH racers and just good old trail riders..........this is one example of one group in the area..............we would be all over it..............even though I still gotta give props to N*.

www.dhreno.com

Jan 6, 2007
Nice to see that this ski resort is on board. I know which one it is but will respect Kevin, and what he's trying to do.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Rather than trying to get a WHOLE other resort to build these things, we should be working togeather to bring Slopestyle and shore riding to N*. .
I already know the answer because the question has been asked for years. It's much more difficult to start from scratch....we do realize that. But it's also the only way to get it done before we're too old to ride. Northstar isn't listening to anyone but Northstar. There was talk of hiring a friend of mine (who posts in the norcal board every now and again) to spice up the place but they left him hanging last year. But they do have a niche......gnarly, rough and dusty. I usually ride there every weekend in the summer (when they'r open) but you can't deny there's nowhere there to take a break and just cruise over some jumps.

But yes, like I said in my original post, the goal is to differentiate what we build from northstar's terrain. I think it might even increase northstar's business since there will be more motivation to stay for a weekend in the area to get both experiences. People like the joker^ might be more motivated to get up here if there's another option to beating up your rims for two days straight.

I REALLY appreciate the offers to help but until we figure out the insurance situation (and if it even happens since this is VERY preliminary), our crew may to have to be set at whom we have living here and can get on the work on a daily basis. I can't say one way or the other at this point though.......but I do appreciate it. The biggest help will obviously be showing up ride.:)

Thanks for the support guys.....this thread will be used as a showing of interest. If you're reading this and think this might be something you'd like to see happen.......post it up:thumb:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like the idea and think it would be great. But If there are 2 Resorts in Tahoe the Business will be split between the 2. If one resort starts to get more business the other resort will lose business, and if the losing resort loses enough business it could shut down leaving us with one resort again.

Now if this new resort builds everything N* doesn;t have It will be SICK, but will it also Have what N* has? N* has been an AMAZING place to go to and ride at for a weekend, the trails are SWEET, technical, difficult, and fun. It is also has the best trails to train on in NorCal. the rock gardens are INTENSE, if you can pin N*'s Rock gardens, you can pin almost anything out there. However much i would love to have a place that has more slopestyle/shore riding, i think it would be a negative solution to N*'s lack of Slopestyle/shore riding.

Rather than trying to get a WHOLE other resort to build these things, we should be working togeather to bring Slopestyle and shore riding to N*. So when the Original trails of N* are combined with Slopestyle and shore riding, N* will become THE destination Spot for Lift access riding In NOR-CAL; which in turn, will boost N*'s business further incouraging N* to up their support and contribution to fueling the Sports of Gravity Riders.
I am not too concerned about Northstar's business. They didn't seem very interested in my riding last year, and the riding community should respond in kind.

I hope whatever resort Kevin is talking to sees a huge opportunity to steal away Northstar's business. One reason why I like Downieville so much is the personal treatment. You go there, hang out with the shop owners, ride with the shuttle drivers, and have a drink with the mechanics.

I have heard about the hard time trail builders and race organizers have had with N*, and I know my riding was directly affected when they didn't open. Business comes before riders interest at N*, and it shows.

I am going to N* if and when they open, but I expect the same disinterested treatment I received before. I hope the new place will treat its customers better.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
I'm interested for sure. It would be great to have a better place to go and to have some flowy trails/freeride trails instead of n* beat m' trails. I sure hope this thing can go through.

george

Chimp
Sep 14, 2001
Boston MA
I travel from Boston to Bootleg a couple times a year.

I have wanted to go to the Tahoe area for quite some time now, but have been discouraged w/ Northstar not being travel friendly (ie web site is a bit vague w/ information) & I believe they may have been closed this year, or limited riding?

In short, I am sure I would travel to the area for (2) lift serviced destinations.

Also, good call w/ the limited weekends. Bolton Valley in VT is on that program & that has helped them ease into the DH arena.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I am one of the trailbuilders st Bolton and the weekend intro has worked well. I also lived in Squaw last season and have an idea of what mountain were talking about and its great to hear. I have plenty of friends out there still who would be psyched to help out and I will let them know for sure. Finally the possibility of a mountain built by riders for riders in Tahoe! There is infinite terrain to work with and plenty of rock. I was planning a trip out in late summer and would gladly dig for a day or two when I'm out there. Please keep us updated and thanks again!!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think it comes down to "bike park" vs. natural terrain, or maybe "freeride" vs. DH racing. Northstar is great for a day of smashing through rocks and inhaling dust, but it definitely lacks fast flowy lines with well-built jumps and proper shore-style action. Whistler is the obvious example, but everyone knows that. Getting our own Dirt Merchant or A-Line or Schleyer or Clown Shoes may be too much to ask but a few sections with that kind of stuff would be killer.

A DJ park would be good too eh?

And I totally agree with your approach of differentiating the offerings and selling both as complimentary. It's a tough enough battle without alienating anyone willing to open resorts to bikes. Yeah, Northstar may have their own priorities but we're all better off making the area a destination, not just one resort.

Oh, and tell them to open a friggin place to buy lunch and after-ride beers and more food. Northstar shuts everything down, gives you no place to spend money, and then bitches that they don't make any money from downhillers.

ryanxj

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Count me in as another rider willing and eager to help build and who would be there no fewer than 3 weekends a month during open season :cheers: