Quantcast

Call me a fanboy...

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Specialized just released a program called the S-Card, it allows multiple different levels of financing for bikes and equipment. I'm going to be using a 24 month same as cash program to purchase this...

I wasn't planning on getting a Demo as my new DH rig but seeing as the 2010 is 800 cheaper than the 09, arguably better spec'd, and now I have the ability to pay for it over the next 2 years it's hard to turn down. All of the 2010 bikes showed up on the dealer website today so I called my spesh rep and was put on the waiting list for a Large.

Flame on!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I was also considering the 2010 Glory because my shop sells Giant as well, but when I saw the terms of the new S-card program I was sold. Hopefully the Demos will be shipping soon so I can catch some late season races.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
who cares about fanboy status... its a big to ride and yet it allows you to LIVE under a roof and pay it off over time. sweet deal! good luck with it man.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
2yrs, no ****? i didn't notice that. i'll have to call up the rep tomorrow and chat. been craving something...

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Sick, sounds like the 90's financial system all over again!

Please remember this simple rule of life..."Do not buy something unless you have the cash to pay for it".

Damn sweet bike anyways.

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Ah what the heck, as long as you know you can handle the bills go for it.

I got my credit combany to thank for 2 seasons of lovely riding on my Demo. ^^

I hope these S-cards will be available in Sweden aswell, might be a nice argument to make my bosses sell Specialized again.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sick, sounds like the 90's financial system all over again!

Please remember this simple rule of life..."Do not buy something unless you have the cash to pay for it".

Damn sweet bike anyways.
yup..and exactly why i had no DH bike for almost 2 seasons now. MY dumb arse walked in a bank with my new house as collateral and took out a whopping chunk of money with nothing more than a signature and a smile.

I gotta agree - don't buy something unless you have the cash to pay for it. The only exception being a house. Anything that depreciates in value should not be financed, including a car if it can be avoided.

At least it's interest free - will you really have it paid off in 24 months though?? If not you'll likely transfer to a high % rate card or get dinged for all back interest at like 22%.

You won't be disappointed in the bike. I'm loving mine and all of it's swingarms and pivots:D

greenhood

Turbo Monkey
Jun 12, 2006
SEATTLE-MINNEAPOLIS
Nice ride.

Is specialized hurting for business? Or are the bikes so expensive now that they have to offer financing?

I will never finance a bike, but to each his own.

matsO

Monkey
Aug 26, 2006
interest free but with extra fee for multiple mini-payments as usual or something completely new and unheard of??? It never is as good as it sounds, or am I just negative. Seriously though, check out the full terms of this deal.

The demo is nice!

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Nice ride.

Is specialized hurting for business? Or are the bikes so expensive now that they have to offer financing?

I will never finance a bike, but to each his own.
Pretty sure trek was offering a similar program this year as well. Yeah bikes are stupid expensive but they are getting better and better.

nenjarickard

Monkey
Feb 14, 2009
Gothenburg, Sweden.
Here in Sweden i think most of the shops already offer this.

There is like a 50$ starting fee and 3$ billing fee every month, other then that you pay for what you buy. Also you can pay it of as soon as you want to.

To me that is a good deal, since i'm not one of those guys who actually can save his money. If i want it, i want it now. :)

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Specialized isn't hurting for business. As of last year with the spike in bicycle prices, I'm told Specialized took a step back and decided to do what they could to lower prices on some of their complete bikes to make them more affordable.

Specialized might often times be "The Big Bad S", but they're smart in their marketing and business tactics.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
All of the 2010 bikes showed up on the dealer website today so I called my spesh rep and was put on the waiting list for a Large.
Any chance there's a geometry table there you can post up? Curious to know top tube lengths of the large and medium.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
A little hard to read, but you can figure it out.

Demo 8 II Bike Geometry
Size S M L
Seat Tube Length - Center to Top 432mm 432mm 457mm
Top Tube Length (Horizontal) 587mm 607mm 624mm
Top Tube Length (Actual) 523mm 532mm 545mm
Chainstay Length 422mm 422mm 422mm
Bottom Bracket Height - Low Setting 343mm 343mm 343mm
Seat Tube Angle (Actual) - Low Setting 62.5° 62.5° 62.5°
Seat Tube Angle (Effective) - Low Setting 73.5° 73.5° 73.5°
Head Tube Angle - Low Setting 64° 64° 64°
Wheel Base 1175mm 1195mm 1212mm
Standover Height 735mm 734mm 747mm
Head Tube Height 120mm 120mm 120mm
Handlebar Width 750mm 750mm 750mm
Stem Length 40mm 40mm 40mm
Crank Length 170mm 170mm 170mm
Seatpost Length 367mm 367mm 367mm
Stack 600mm 600mm 600mm
Reach 409mm 429mm 446mm
Ground-Top 943mm 943mm 943mm

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
This is some tempting news!

I wanna new DH rig so bad.

But then I think what happens in 2 years when I want a new bike but I'm still paying for a two year old ride?

Why are there so many difficult decisions in life?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Do you really want to be making payments for two years on something you're going to rally into a bunch of rocks?? I think after the first year you might not be too stoked to still be paying for something that's hammered.

Kind of like people financing $10k KTM's. Why? All you're going to do is redline the thing into a bunch of rocks and hillclimbs and beat the ever living piss out of it - all on credit for the next 4-5 years???

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Do you really want to be making payments for two years on something you're going to rally into a bunch of rocks?? I think after the first year you might not be too stoked to still be paying for something that's hammered.

Kind of like people financing $10k KTM's. Why? All you're going to do is redline the thing into a bunch of rocks and hillclimbs and beat the ever living piss out of it - all on credit for the next 4-5 years???
I pay for my s**t all up front, 2 5+ year old bikes that have been hammered and 'rallied' and still rock.

Would have loved to finance them.

Awesome.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
5 years is quite the exception for a DH bike being used year round every week multiple times. At least around these parts it is. All these lightweight little racerbitch bikes are cooked after a year of what I'd call "real" riding. Even the toughest builds around aren't putting up with 5 years of legitimate abuse.

mfreak

Chimp
Feb 12, 2009
if and or when i get to move my happiness out west where i can ride something like that year round i may look into that. ive always wanted a new bike and i always wanted a demo.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
5 years is quite the exception for a DH bike being used year round every week multiple times. At least around these parts it is. All these lightweight little racerbitch bikes are cooked after a year of what I'd call "real" riding. Even the toughest builds around aren't putting up with 5 years of legitimate abuse.
whats the difference paying 6200 up front or over a year or 2? your still beating your 6200 dollar bike thru rocks weather you have it paid off or not.

does it make you ride faster thru rocks if you drop 6200 all at once?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Nah but I sure would feel better about not having to keep on paying for something that was broken.

Great move by Specialized, but probably not a great move for a consumer. I wonder how they'd go about re-possessing a bike that had late payments on it, and assessing damage to it. I will wager $5 now that someone will get nailed with some hefty surcharges if that has to happen.

Nah but I sure would feel better about not having to keep on paying for something that was broken.

Great move by Specialized, but probably not a great move for a consumer. I wonder how they'd go about re-possessing a bike that had late payments on it, and assessing damage to it. I will wager $5 now that someone will get nailed with some hefty surcharges if that has to happen.
There is not any collateral with these deals. Financed like it's an unsecured non-revolving credit card. If you have any balance at the end of the interest free period they charge you interest back to the 1st day of the loan and compute average balances month by month plus assorted fees.

I agree with you that it's a bad decision for the consumer even if it's interest free. Most people say they will pay it off and I'm sure have good intentions, but then that money is used for a couple bike trips then maybe a race or two, or the dog needs surgery or your car needs brakes/tires/timing chain. You get my point. Before you know it your DH rig which isn't worth jack just cost you $800 - $1,200 in interest a year.

On the flip side it's a great way to get a bike when you can't afford it which we all like - instant gratification. Mattmatt is probably ok as he sounds like a shop employee so it's probably a reasonable amount to handle if he puts half down. Just discipline yourself to pay X amount so it's paid in a year. I graduated college with a ton of debt (school loans + credit cards) and it sucked for 5 years paying it off.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Plus if your a 17-18 year old kid and you dont make that much money to throw down 6200 bucks all at once . It will allow alot more kids to throw their leg over a brand new whip and throw their old one in the classifieds.