Quantcast

Calling all audiophiles! Earphone selection help!

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Photo on 2012-07-17 at 20.49 #2.jpg

Well I bought both about an 2 hours ago. I drove 30 minutes to get them lol....

I will give the monkey the lowdown then! They both sound great, but I need to compare/"burn them in". One will be getting returned.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
View attachment 111589

Well I bought both about an 2 hours ago. I drove 30 minutes to get them lol....

I will give the monkey the lowdown then! They both sound great, but I need to compare/"burn them in". One will be getting returned.
Coo. Try them with the different end pieces, you will know when the right one are on.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the small drivers in ear buds dont require as much break in as a bigger, full sized speaker does. they should "open up" fairly soon

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I should slap you for just mentioning Monster.

I have Etymotics. There are a bunch out there that are good. Just depends how much you want to spend. Check CNet for some good reviews. Velodynes always seem to get good reviews and are $90. They make nice subs...
yes. loved mine. busted them and haven't replaced them yet.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
You won't and you don't. While they can sound good, tiny drivers will never sound as good as regular drivers. Save yourself the money, it's not worth spending $200 on headphones. Even if you use them all the time, the money will better spent replacing pairs that break/wear out/get lost than anything else.
this.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
They both fit equally well. I wore the Shures tonight to the gym and did some power cleans, squats, deadlifts and leg press. All lighter and higher reps.

The Shure SE215 stayed in fine, it just will take getting used to putting them in. They sound good too. I can hear a slight change in quality of music between the Shures and the Bowers and Wilkins C5.

I read on other forums the C5 gets uncomfortable during prolonged periods of listening sessions, however thursday is back, biceps and trap day. So we'll see how they fair then seeing I'll be trying to murder some iron for an hour or two.

Inside I want the Shure's to be better because they are cheaper, but the Bowers and Wilkins sound better overall.

Both sets seem to stay in fine shaking my head around and doing squat thrusts/burpess.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
The UE TripleFi 10 IEMs are worth considering. MSRP is around $400 but you can find them for $175. You can also have them re-shelled for a custom fir for a reasonable amount of money. Sadly, I left mine on a plane. I'm not flying as much recently (I only wore them on planes), so I haven't replaced them. The only problem with them is that they can be difficult to fit. As was mentioned before, IEMS fit is critical to sound quality. I had some trouble with that so I was planning to have them re-shelled. But when they were properly sealed they sounded fantastic.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0019RBJOE

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Nope. A Zippo has a much longer lifespan, is re-usable, more reliable, durable and works better in the wind. Also, it's potentially the last lighter you ever need to buy. Over the course of several years it easily pays for itself.

And where the fvck do you buy a Bic lighter for $0.25?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sure I had Shure SE530's and they lasted a year before the insulation cracked of the wire, the new ones have detachable leads which is cool but at the end of the day they are still over priced pieces of Chinese plastic.

I have a couple of pairs of $50-$100 Sennheiser bud type ones and they don't sound quite as nice as the Shures but they are still going. I do find both pairs of Senns make a bit of wind noise on the bike and the silicone tip thingies aren't quite as good as the squishy foam tips on the Shure but they were 1/4 the price.

I also find the in line volume controls seem to give slightly different volume levels to each bud after they cop some sweat and water.

Like everyone else said get cheap buds and a decent set of full size headphones, my 11yo Sennheiser HD580's still work a treat and they don't get treated very well.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Pretty sure I had Shure SE530's and they lasted a year before the insulation cracked of the wire, the new ones have detachable leads which is cool but at the end of the day they are still over priced pieces of Chinese plastic.

I have a couple of pairs of $50-$100 Sennheiser bud type ones and they don't sound quite as nice as the Shures but they are still going. I do find both pairs of Senns make a bit of wind noise on the bike and the silicone tip thingies aren't quite as good as the squishy foam tips on the Shure but they were 1/4 the price.

I also find the in line volume controls seem to give slightly different volume levels to each bud after they cop some sweat and water.

Like everyone else said get cheap buds and a decent set of full size headphones, my 11yo Sennheiser HD580's still work a treat and they don't get treated very well.
Senns cx300s are rebranded creatives if I remember right. Not worth the price.

@ Bean you can get triple.fi 10s NEW for that price? I need to look more. Maybe instead of looking for a new cable for my 5s I will sell them and get a higher model

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

@ Bean you can get triple.fi 10s NEW for that price? I need to look more. Maybe instead of looking for a new cable for my 5s I will sell them and get a higher model
Had to check mine, I know one set is a CX-400II and I guess the other is the CX-300I, I do have some Creatives and they sound MUCH bassier than the Senns and are really good for a bundled phone.

Norbar just reminded me, Creative have some pretty good sales on their on line store- http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Aurvana-InEar2-Earphones/M/B0037LQY7M.htm

Seems we get better deals on the Aussie creative store than you guys.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Did you know? Everybody has a problem with everything.

I bought a $100 pair of shure earbuds several years ago. These fellas http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Isolating-Earphone-Balanced-Armature/dp/B000VHUE0S. They sounded significantly better than any cheapo set, but more importantly, the build quality is fantastic. They lasted me five or six years of daily use commuting on boston's ****ty T, then being wrapped over my mp3 player, then unwrapped, etc. After 5 years, the cable is starting to fray as it's a direct plug instead of angled and it's bent 180* to wrap around. Duh.

The foam plug is a great idea as it's passive noise cancelling and essentially the same as an earplug. Compress it, stick it in your head, then it expands and makes a really good fit. These are perhaps the only piece of electronics built in the last 10 years that I really like, and have no regrets over buying.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Had to check mine, I know one set is a CX-400II and I guess the other is the CX-300I, I do have some Creatives and they sound MUCH bassier than the Senns and are really good for a bundled phone.

Norbar just reminded me, Creative have some pretty good sales on their on line store- http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Aurvana-InEar2-Earphones/M/B0037LQY7M.htm

Seems we get better deals on the Aussie creative store than you guys.
You mean us polish guys? ;) Imho it's just placebo (the cx300 vs ep630s). Not sure about the model generation but the first gen 300s in blind tests sounded very alike to 630s. My friend was a bit mad about headphones and he tested it on some people and apparently they rarely found the differance.

Though I find all single driver non armature IEMs all sounding very bassy to me. If my ratio of podcast to music listening was back to where I was 3 years ago I'd probably ring my friend who makes custom triple driver phones on license from some us company. Somehow never wanted to go through the hassle of visiting an audiologist.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
besides...you can't engrave a fvcking bic.
Sure you can. In fact it's easier because it's plastic, not metal.

Edit: Top comment on YouTube vid: "this makes me feel like my zippo is worth alot less than I thought.. " Thanks for supporting my initial claim, random internet stranger.

Gold. :rofl:

Last edited:

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder

Yep. Amazon link with that price in my first post (with free shipping).

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Did you know? Everybody has a problem with everything.

I bought a $100 pair of shure earbuds several years ago. These fellas http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Isolating-Earphone-Balanced-Armature/dp/B000VHUE0S. They sounded significantly better than any cheapo set, but more importantly, the build quality is fantastic. They lasted me five or six years of daily use commuting on boston's ****ty T, then being wrapped over my mp3 player, then unwrapped, etc. After 5 years, the cable is starting to fray as it's a direct plug instead of angled and it's bent 180* to wrap around. Duh.

The foam plug is a great idea as it's passive noise cancelling and essentially the same as an earplug. Compress it, stick it in your head, then it expands and makes a really good fit. These are perhaps the only piece of electronics built in the last 10 years that I really like, and have no regrets over buying.
I bought a pair of Shures and abused the sh1t out of them. Stepped on, split beer on them on stage, they got yanked on in the studio multiple times. (standing up from the drum kit and forgetting I was wearing them...ouch)

I sent them in when their were any issues and got a new pair. Paid for them once, had reliable headphones for 4 years till I lost em on a plane. Any other phones would have died in a month.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
The best is when you wear the Shure foam buds and start to sweat real good. I wear mine on my rollers in the winter and foam +sweat= grossness.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The best is when you wear the Shure foam buds and start to sweat real good. I wear mine on my rollers in the winter and foam +sweat= grossness.
better is when you take them out and put them back in...yukka.

might be better to switch to the silicone for working out. FWIW I did NOT like mine for working out. The bulkiness of the cord got in the way or would swing and hit me in the chesticles while running. I typically use gimme buds that came with my sandisk/ithing/whatever. Much skimpier cord=less noticeable.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
better is when you take them out and put them back in...yukka.

might be better to switch to the silicone for working out. FWIW I did NOT like mine for working out. The bulkiness of the cord got in the way or would swing and hit me in the chesticles while running. I typically use gimme buds that came with my sandisk/ithing/whatever. Much skimpier cord=less noticeable.
Whenever I wore buds working out/running/riding, I always snake the cord under my shirt to avoid it swinging around and hitting me/getting snagged. Of course my bluetooth headphones eliminated that altogether.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Whenever I wore buds working out/running/riding, I always snake the cord under my shirt to avoid it swinging around and hitting me/getting snagged. Of course my bluetooth headphones eliminated that altogether.
I'm yet to find bluetooth headphones with decent quality.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm yet to find bluetooth headphones with decent quality.
I don't think they exist really. I just wanted a wireless pair of headphones I could use with my phone to listen to music while doing labor intensive house-oriented things...snowblowing, mowing, landscaping, etc. Loud noises are going on anyway so quality was far from a concern, so might as well go wireless and have full mobility.

Edit - they are these. Cheap but work surprisingly well for what they are.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish™+Mobile+-+RF-MAB2+High-Definition+Stereo+Bluetooth+Headphones+-+Black/9246862.p?id=1218068108153&skuId=9246862&st=*rocketfish&cp=1&lp=5

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought about getting something like these: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-NWZW262BLK-Walkman-MP3-player/dp/B005EQS9KI/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_0 but I ended up grabbing a sandisk clip back when woot was cool for like 10 or 15 bucks. I've owned it for three years now and have charged it maybe 3 or 4 times. It's really cool and so freaking light it's impossible to complain.

I typically don't have a problem with the clean and my earbuds provided ****'s arranged right. Clip on the right hip, no problem. The shure's have like a 2mm thick cord though, and a junction right between the tittays that's 5mm or so thick and 5cm long. It bonks off your chest when you run, but it's fine for walking or hanging around.

Retardless, I don't care about nor really want sound isolation nor quality sound when I'm working out. I want something that lets me hear the pack of wild coyotes on my heels or the sweaty bald guy grunting in the gym. There's nothing more irritating than people who aren't paying attention, especially while working out.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
One time I ran our usual riding loop in Harold Parker.

Emphasis on "one time"
I'm currently training for a half marathon, it's probably one of the worst things i've ever done. And you know how many bad decisions i've made.

I bought a pair of $9 wraparound earbuds at Best Buy. Music comes out of them, they don't fall off. Solid buy.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm currently training for a half marathon, it's probably one of the worst things i've ever done. And you know how many bad decisions i've made.

I bought a pair of $9 wraparound earbuds at Best Buy. Music comes out of them, they don't fall off. Solid buy.
Was this brought about by Lauren? If so your texts the other day might be negated.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Was this brought about by Lauren? If so your texts the other day might be negated.
Lauren was already signed up to run it, I wanted nothing to do with it. Drunk Adam takes over the reigns one night, log into my email the next day at work - wouldn't ya know i'm registered for a half marathon. You know how it goes. Same reason I own that night vision scope thing. And a couple dozen headlamps.

You can never own enough headlamps.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Lauren was already signed up to run it, I wanted nothing to do with it. Drunk Adam takes over the reigns one night, log into my email the next day at work - wouldn't ya know i'm registered for a half marathon. You know how it goes. Same reason I own that night vision scope thing. And a couple dozen headlamps.

You can never own enough headlamps.
Me - *opens door* "Hmmm....a package from Chainlove"
You - "What did you order?"
Me - "I didn't order anything, it must be yours"
You - "Really?"
Me - *reads package* "Ship to Adam King"
You - "What did I get!?!"

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I kept the Shures and returned the Bowers and Wilkins headphones... About 15 hours of personal use and I heard static-like noise coming from the bud. I was glad I brought the Shures to the gym. I also think the Shures stay in slightly better.

Lowdown:
Shures=$100, longer cord (maybe a little too long, stronger cord, detachable head phones/replaceable cord.

Bowers and Wilkins=$180, shorter cord but still fairly durable material, pretty good fit as well, good sound but a little more bass, flaked out on me and sound bad.

That will be all.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I kept the Shures and returned the Bowers and Wilkins headphones... About 15 hours of personal use and I heard static-like noise coming from the bud. I was glad I brought the Shures to the gym. I also think the Shures stay in slightly better.

Lowdown:
Shures=$100, longer cord (maybe a little too long, stronger cord, detachable head phones/replaceable cord.

Bowers and Wilkins=$180, shorter cord but still fairly durable material, pretty good fit as well, good sound but a little more bass, flaked out on me and sound bad.

That will be all.
This has never failed with my Shure's. I sweat them out. Just box the up and send them off to Illinois. No RMA nothing. 2 - 3 weeks later.... New Headphones.