Quantcast

Calling All PNW Riders!

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Hey guys, I know most of you don't have much or anything to do with NORBA but DH needs your help. If you haven't already heard National Championships have been switched from Mammoth Mt. CA to Sonoma, CA. This means that we have been moved from a 10,000' peak to a literaly 700' elevation hill. Anyone who can please take the time out of your schedule to send USA Cycling and email or two. This situation is affecting the future of racing. If we don't show them that this won't work for us they will just assume that it is one more thing that they can do that we will just let pass. Please everyone, help your sport and contact NORBA.
Thanks Everyone
Nathan Hoch
Fluidride
(425) 765-6796

It sounds like articles are pointing to lingering snow as the reason for the move. If this is the case I don't know what could have been done to hold the event at Mammoth this year. I realize that the event is a ways out still but they have to make a decision on an event this large well in advance of the date to allow people to make their own travel plans. If this is a one time occurrence due to mother nature acting up I don't see a big problem.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
mcoomer said:
It sounds like articles are pointing to lingering snow as the reason for the move. If this is the case I don't know what could have been done to hold the event at Mammoth this year. I realize that the event is a ways out still but they have to make a decision on an event this large well in advance of the date to allow people to make their own travel plans. If this is a one time occurrence due to mother nature acting up I don't see a big problem.
Umm...there's nothing that can or could be done to race at Mammoth in July...That's why they've always raced in late August or September...The fact that they didn't make a smarter decision as to the National Championship venue shows a complete lack of respect to a significant part of their following.

There's a couple reasons why this situation was completely avoidable...

Oversight #1. They moved the event up 2 months...Because we would like to have a crowned national champ before the Worlds happen...This was a bad decision because the extra 2 months allows enough of the snow to melt.

Oversight #2. Why not move it up another week and just dub Deer Valley the Championship??!?? Ya know,...where there's actual terrain...The fact that NORBA picked a lamer DH course than Fontana (which was pretty lame in regards to a NATIONAL LEVEL DH course, trust me...I rode it...) to pick the best in the nation is unacceptable.

I dislike the fact that Adam Craig will be able to win the DH, XC, Super D, and get 3rd in the MTX all on the same bike...

I'll be at Crankworx instead.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Letters are great guys but everyone has to remember, posting email addresses of USA Cycling upper "management" can cause all kinds of negative impacts if the information isn't clear.

I agree, there is something to be said for the negatives caused by the decisions that were made however from the promoter side, there are all kinds of forces going against them that 99% of racers/riders don't even have a clue about.

My only recommendations when you decide to write an email to USA Cycling (or any one of this sort for that matter) would be to be polite, get your facts straight and don't make blatent claims without cold hard facts to back them up, if you don't have those facts try asking questions rather then pointing fingers - you might learn something.

In the mean time, consider thinking of ways to help local promoters get the racing scene back on it's feet? Go support the Beacon event, it's the only DH in the state this year.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Remember too that a lot of the decisions are not made by USA Cycling/NORBA per se, but by the race promoter, which is Team Big Bear. Frosty and co. have been doing some goofy things in the last couple years that seem counterproductive to growing the gravity end of NORBA racing. When that facet of the sport is the fastest-growing segment in both interest and participation, they seem to be treating it more and more like a bastard stepchild.

Look at the decision to hold a National at Fontana. Yes, they wanted a SoCal national; yes, they could not use Big Bear any more; but Southridge (Fontana)? That would be like holding a Nat at Beacon. Great regional-level course, but not nearly the technicality or vertical drop to be National-caliber.

Have you listened to the announcing/PA at a National? You have two guys in the booth working themselves into a froth over the minute-by-minute of the XC races. If you closed your eyes and just listened to them, you'd think it was a Supercross going on. Excuse me, but spectating an XC race is like watching paint dry. All the while that's going on, the guys in the booth have their backs turned to the real action on the DH course (where most of the spectators are lining the course top to bottom).

Sorry for the rant, but I agree with all of the above posters. Something needs to be done about the future of NORBA DH; but the problem is systemic in how: #1 USA Cycling treats the gravity discipline and; #2 as a result, they leave running the whole affair to a promoter that is seemingly not committed to growing the ENTIRE spectrum of the sport.

If you want to make an impact, first write to Frosty and the Team Big Bear folks with your (constructive) input on the NCS.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
So...I probably shouldn't have sent those e-mails saying "I'd eat your babies, but since you're impotent and can't make babies then I'll just eat your cats and dogs", hmmmmm?:wonky2:

;) <-------- this means I'm just kidding.

Hopefully there are rational explanations to the situation being faced. Looking on the bright side of things, I suppose that it can't get much worse so perhaps things HAVE to get better soon.
Or else...:dead:

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
First, the emails posted are availible to the public. And second, guys I know there are quite a few things going against Nationals however the one thing that we as riders really can do is let NORBA know that we don't find Sonoma an acceptable venue. So please don't post with comments about how difficult it is for NORBA because that is a granted. However it is the job of USA Cycling as a business to provide us , their customers, with a good product.

Thanks for the Input guys.
Nathan Hoch
(425) 765-6796