Quantcast

Calling all Sequoia and Kings canyon locals...HELP!!

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
Hiking trails? As far as I know bikes are not allowed on most of the trails within the Sequoia or Kings Canyon National Parks.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
That's a big park w/hundreds (Thousand's ?) of trails (All are no riding tho).
Specifically what area/camprgound?

I'll be backpacking in the Mineral King area July 24-25

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I know that the two campgrounds in Mineral King are first-come first-serve & if you drive up {on a normal weekend} Friday night you might get a campspot. If you drive up Friday-Day it's likley you will get a spot (Now forget it during a extended weekend like July 4'th... Etc...) :nopity:

As far as the Giant Grove/Redwood areas... There are more than just two campgrounds, some are first-come, some you can reserve...
Try here:
http://www.nps.gov/seki/

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
If you're not going to reserve a spot, drive up during the week or try to get there as early as possible on Friday. I like camping in the Cedar grove area of Kings Canyon. You can get spots on the river and I would try to find a spot as far in as possible. I think Morraine is the last compground (there's several in a row) but when I was there at the beginning of June, they only had an RV's OK campground and a tent campground open. A couple of nice hikes in that area are Mist Falls (drive to the end of the road) and the Don Cecil trail (accessible from campgrounds) Mineral King is nice too because it's one road in so there's less traffic. I've never stayed in the main Sequoia loop. Friends of our have and they complained about how busy/noisy/crowded it was.

If you want to bike, I would suggest camping in the national forest instead of within the parks.