Quantcast

Calling frame designers (BCD zedro DW etc) Cast Frame?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I have met one of the designers before and he knows his stuff when it comes to bikes. Im sure it will be a ripper.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
think of it as a massage for metal. it relieves stresses caused by machining and heat. Lots of info on the net if your interested.
Yes, I suppose it would toughen the surface level through work hardening.
it's basically the latter, but it helps reduce potential cracking caused by the former. Basically like tempered glass, it creates a surface under compression to help reduce fatigue/surface cracking

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Makes me want to cast some random stuff! (like a new wood stove)
We have been making cast iron gas stove for about 6-7 years. The firebox is actualy a riveted/bonded/glued sheet metal structure with a cast iron shell. So I guess it looks like its cast iron but it really isn't?

But, this year we introduced a cast iron woodstove that uses a cast iron firebox. I picture the pot-bellied stove to be cast as one piece (just an assumption) where-as ours is a series of bolted together panels.
We are just releasing a cast iron pellet stove but it too uses a sheetmetal firebox. Too expensive for the amout of appliances we build to make those parts from cast iron.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
The bike looks way sick. Reminds me a smidge of the Honda bike. Same kinda lines, and a similar single pivot lay out.

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
I like the look of it. I'm sure Craig an the guys up at Rideon will get it well an truly dialled...they are one of the best shops in the UK and have the experience of pretty much every top DH frame ever made.

Sorry for being dumb but what are the advantages to casting a frame?

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
are those the OLD Onza Ti cranks?
Yep- second generation prototypes. The first generation had the webs filled and had a round hole in the web. They tended to crack about one inch back from the end of the right crank arm. Both Herbold and Jake Watson cracked the first generation cranks. Only around fifteen sets of cast cranks were made and two sets were produced that were machined from solid billet. It took about five hours to make one crank arm....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
advantage of casting a frame is that once you have a good design and a good machine (as in, make a large capital investment) the unit cost is greatly reduced. Economies of scale that are impossible with a mitered tube/welded design mean that you can turn a profit on a frame with prices much lower than the competition. If it works, this will be the model t of downhill bikes. if it doesn't, those people just sunk a lot of money into a bunch of worthless designs and molds.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Maybe it is the angle, but the leverage ratio look a little on the high side to anyone else?
nah, dont think so. the top bolt for the shox is the one just below the seat mast.

cant wait to get more info on it. any riders gonna race it for the nps or anyhting?