Quantcast

Cam Zink on Corsair Bikes

Jester

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Beverly, MA
Sounds like someone is burning some bridges.

More importantly though, here is what Cameron has to say about the new partnership: "After being on such crap bikes for the last few years and convincing myself that they weren't crap, it's hard to express how amazing it feels to be on good suspension bikes again.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Him and Strait on small brands, kinda wierd.

Wonder why he's not on the Blackmarket Killswitch if hes riding their hardtails? Maybe so he can also run Corsairs DH bike and hopefully do some racing?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
hahahah, good publicity for felt!
Watching him riding in the last Rampage was kind of scary, he was on that Felt POS with a Boxxer. Just looked way sketchy, props to him for being able to make that thing work.

Glad he found a decent sponsor, hopefully it works out for him.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Hahaha! What a clown. Check out this quote from 2008 when he was super stoked to be riding for Felt:

"I am super-excited to be heading to Felt. Their products and reputation are absolutely first-rate", says Cam. "After speaking with their design and engineering group, it is very clear to me they really know what they are doing and are into continually developing their bikes and ideas with direct rider input. Look at what they have done in other areas of the sport. The whole thing is a bit of a dream come true."

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
Not very professional, but he doesn't seem to give a f*ck for bad publicity (past Decline photos?). If the Felts are as bad as he says, props to him for making it look good. Video parts the last few years have been good in my opinion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hahaha! What a clown. Check out this quote from 2008 when he was super stoked to be riding for Felt:

"I am super-excited to be heading to Felt. Their products and reputation are absolutely first-rate", says Cam. "After speaking with their design and engineering group, it is very clear to me they really know what they are doing and are into continually developing their bikes and ideas with direct rider input. Look at what they have done in other areas of the sport. The whole thing is a bit of a dream come true."
He just committed suicide in the bike sponsorship world. Whoops. :thumb:
Not very professional, but he doesn't seem to give a f*ck for bad publicity (past Decline photos?). If the Felts are as bad as he says, props to him for making it look good. Video parts the last few years have been good in my opinion.
Money talks. In a small sport like freestyle/freeride mtb, any paycheck is a good paycheck. I'm sure any of you would say some foolish stuff about x brand of bikes if it let you ride 7 days a week, paid the bills, and kept you from pushing papers in an office or hauling someone else's trash.

nolson450

Chimp
May 26, 2009
When Keeping it Real Goes wrong....

he better ride like the other Cam to get away with that nonsense...

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
Money talks. In a small sport like freestyle/freeride mtb, any paycheck is a good paycheck. I'm sure any of you would say some foolish stuff about x brand of bikes if it let you ride 7 days a week, paid the bills, and kept you from pushing papers in an office or hauling someone else's trash.
Ahhhh, no. Because it is such a small sport I wouldn't say something stupid and I doubt Corsair is paying him to dis other companies. You don't $hit where you eat and I am sure the next time he is looking for a sponsor the companies will remember this and wonder if after they invest so much in him if they are going to regret it. It's one thing to over embellish about the brands you support and are paying you, it is another thing to trash the brands you used to support. I can see why some are raising an eyebrow. Anyway, I may be making a bigger deal out of this than it is but I think it was a laps in judgment on Cam's part and he could have been more professional.

Anyway, good for him if he is happy and good for Corsair, they picked up a talented rider. Hopefully they are paying him to ride and not be a spokesperson.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
it's a two way street... if a brand signs is able to court an athlete based on promises they have made, and then do not deliver, shame on them

i am sure there are more sides to this and you are all reading into it way too much.

it would be one thing if Felt had held up there end of it, but none of you seem too concerned about that and are just jumping to conclusions

good for Cam moving on and speaking his mind

I have little respect that for companies that sign a rider to exploit their name but do nothing to support their career after the ink dries.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Never actually thought felt was part of the MTB scene... certainly not the DH/Freeride part anyway.

You often hear, "he committed suicide, that's it, he's done..." and they always turn out just fine.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
well put, exactly what i was thinking, if someone is paying you to promote the brand YOU PROMOTE THE BRAND...all this 'selling out' stuff is crap, money is tough to find in this industry...

Something happened here that pissed him off...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
well put, exactly what i was thinking, if someone is paying you to promote the brand YOU PROMOTE THE BRAND...all this 'selling out' stuff is crap, money is tough to find in this industry...
Not blaming him for taking money or shilling products, but you can promote a brand without talking crap about a prior sponsor. It's a small world and people move around - someone at Felt could end up being a key decision-maker at his next potential sponsor. But whatever, Cam has found a way to survive as a pro and that's more than a lot can say. Hell, we wouldn't be talking about him if not for this comment, so maybe he figures any publicity is good.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
it's a two way street... if a brand signs is able to court an athlete based on promises they have made, and then do not deliver, shame on them

i am sure there are more sides to this and you are all reading into it way too much.

it would be one thing if Felt had held up there end of it, but none of you seem too concerned about that and are just jumping to conclusions

I have little respect that for companies that sign a rider to exploit their name but do nothing to support their career after the ink dries.
Very fair point, there is definitely a side to the story we aren't hearing and may never hear. It may be justified but it is still a slippery slope. Hopefully this won't come back to him down the road.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not blaming him for taking money or shilling products, but you can promote a brand without talking crap about a prior sponsor.
True, and I'm not trying to argue that what he did wasn't unprofessional - it certainly was, but there was obviously something about his relationship with that company (or their bikes) that left him so unhappy and bitter that he could not hold his tongue.

It's a small world and people move around - someone at Felt could end up being a key decision-maker at his next potential sponsor.
Eh not so sure about this one. Felt doesn't seem particularly focused on the mountain sector, yet alone the DH/FR/Street/DJ sector.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
What's good about complaining about previous sponsors? I am no PR expert but focusing on you future and staying positive seems like a smarter move in this small business. I am all for speaking my mind but when its business it often pays off being a little more strategic.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't know him, but I when I have been around him he seems like a punk. I would expect something like this. Its totally his call how he acts, but I would not want him to speak for my company. There are so many other talented riders I would pick before him.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Uumm, how much money is there in actually doing a couple of slopestyle contests a year and a video segment?
Maybe he is not worrying about about his next contract, because it may just be for 9 peanuts instead of 10.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore

There was def. a lot of "buzz" about Felt after they signed Cam Zink, I remember watching videos if their equilink suspension soon after Zink was signed. But I looked at their bikes like 6 months later and didn't see a single FR/DH-related bike(just checked today, and still don't).. I wouldn't be suprised if that was the case, they made promises and never followed through. I really don't think Felt has much respect(if any) in the FR/DH segment, so I doubt anybody would really disagree with what he said about their bikes.

It's also good to see some honesty, it's hard to come by "real" opinions on products in the MTB industry. Everybody seems to be too afraid to hurt manufacturer's "feelings". I don't expect pro riders to start bashing their sponsor's bikes, but it's refreshing..

Good to see him on Corsair, seems to be a much better fit..

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I never understood that felt sponsorship. Why sign him if you don't even have a bike for him to promote? They could as well hire Joe the Plumber. One of Polish most respected and titled riders also rides a felt only because of the sponsorship/working for the dealer. I really don't understand why they didn't enter the fr/dh market yet. If they don't want to design something they could rebadge an Astro and maybe add some little tweaks to suit their riders. Not that hard and no one would sling poo their way.
If they promiced him a good bike at the begining of the contract I totaly understand his frustration.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's also good to see some honesty, it's hard to come by "real" opinions on products in the MTB industry. Everybody seems to be too afraid to hurt manufacturer's "feelings". I don't expect pro riders to start bashing their sponsor's bikes, but it's refreshing..
Well, the horse is dead or dying here, but honesty? Flip-flopping as soon as the deal is done allows him to maintain his cred? Where was the honest opinion during the sponsorship? What about the groms that bought a felt 'cuz he was riding one and talking about how awesome it was? (There must be 2 or 3. :D)

Seriously, I don't know the guy and I'm not saying he should do anything else - it's his career and all, and these are his choices to make and own - but spare me the stuff about his honesty and cred.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Uumm, how much money is there in actually doing a couple of slopestyle contests a year and a video segment?
Maybe he is not worrying about about his next contract, because it may just be for 9 peanuts instead of 10.
Plus who really cares at the end of the day. This is all forgotten when this thread lands on page two.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
What's good about complaining about previous sponsors? I am no PR expert but focusing on you future and staying positive seems like a smarter move in this small business. I am all for speaking my mind but when its business it often pays off being a little more strategic.
turns out I am a PR expert...has become part of my R&D job...and 100% for sure anyone who understands how these things work knows that his choice of words benefited no one, for reasons that have already been listed in this thread.

whatever, hope it works out for him. hopefully someone takes him aside and turns this into a Teachable Moment TM for him.

czink

Chimp
May 12, 2010
Due to the serious backlash by my "quote" I am finding myself doing my first post on RideMonkey... Or any Mountain Bike forum.
The quote was talking, jokingly in a casual situation, with absolutely no intention of it going anywhere. Of course it is irresponsible to even let words like that come out of my mouth, and the majority of the hating I've received on the forum is well deserved. In contrast, thanks to all the people who have my back and defended my "official quote." It means a lot to me!

Truthfully, Felts bikes were not crap. People thought I was probably insinuating they are sub-par for what Freeriders are doing nowadays. Regardless, that isn't why it was said, intended to be confidential. It was said jokingly to make someone at Corsair laugh, letting them know in excess of how truly stoked I am to be riding their bike.
Other news blogs refused to post it because they know it isn't professional and didn't want something like this getting out with my name on it; they know me better than that.
I don't know how it slipped by the sites that did post it.

On a positive note: The hold on loosely tour is back this year. Here is the show produced from the last tour. I hope I didn't leave too bad of taste in your mouth to enjoy it.
Hold On Loosely Tour on Vimeo

Thesensus.com

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
If anything it says something about Corsair's new marketing manager. Who in their right mind would let something like that leave their desk? I think that's who should take the blame (if anyone). It's not like Corsair and Felt are direct competitors, so why bash em? SUPERB marketing thus far :rolleyes:

Good on ya Cam for posting up.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
I think this is proof positive that RM, and other forums for that matter, should start more negative rumors about the pros. It is a great recruiting mechanism for getting the pros to give us a little much sought after attention from them. Think about it, Steve Smith commented on his DH bike from last season, Jared Graves defended Blinky last season and that is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment. Now we have Cameron Zink recruited....awesome :D

Ok, I am kidding about that of course.

Cam - thanks for the follow up and setting the record straight. A true test in character isn't about not making mistakes, it is about how you handle them. Good job and best of luck w/Corsair :thumb::thumb:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Due to the serious backlash by my "quote" I am finding myself doing my first post on RideMonkey... Or any Mountain Bike forum.
The quote was talking, jokingly in a casual situation, with absolutely no intention of it going anywhere. Of course it is irresponsible to even let words like that come out of my mouth, and the majority of the hating I've received on the forum is well deserved. In contrast, thanks to all the people who have my back and defended my "official quote." It means a lot to me!

Truthfully, Felts bikes were not crap. People thought I was probably insinuating they are sub-par for what Freeriders are doing nowadays. Regardless, that isn't why it was said, intended to be confidential. It was said jokingly to make someone at Corsair laugh, letting them know in excess of how truly stoked I am to be riding their bike.
Other news blogs refused to post it because they know it isn't professional and didn't want something like this getting out with my name on it; they know me better than that.
I don't know how it slipped by the sites that did post it.

On a positive note: The hold on loosely tour is back this year. Here is the show produced from the last tour. I hope I didn't leave too bad of taste in your mouth to enjoy it.
http://vimeo.com/3243788

Thesensus.com
Thanks for stepping up and addressing things! I'll delete my post.