Quantcast

camel backs.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I think just about every xc rider has a hydration pack for at least extended rides. I use mine for every ride (I hate water bottles). Camelback Mule (most mtb rides), Camelback Hawg (extended mtb rides where an extra water bladder (for the group) and food is needed), and Camelback Lobo for road rides.

UNHrider

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Epping, NH
i also ride with a camel back mule. 100 oz bladder for the longer days, and plenty of room for a couple spare tubes, tools, food and a coat if nec.

i hate racing with one though.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
I use a Mule. I prefer bottles, but some my bikes don't have bottle mounts, or more than one mount.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
I got a Mule for $25 and the Hawg for $27.50 at last year's REI fall clearance sale. The Lobo I won from the Kenda Bikefest.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I prefer riding without a pack, but carrying tools and stuff becomes a pain on any ride of decent length. Plus, my FS bike has only one bottle mount under the DT- very crappy.

So I have a Mule and a Hawg. Got both on a kind of back of the truck deal from a Camelbak rep when I worked at a shop. They are designed reasonably well and have lasted a long time. I've had both for a while (7+ years) and they've done pretty well. Only thing I don't like about Camelbaks I've had is that the water that comes from the bladder always tastes a bit like plastic. Maybe they've gotten better, but the ones I've had (replaced the original ones) seem to have the same issues. The Platypus bladder I had worked fine and tasted better. I've used the Hawg for a lot of day hikes too and it has done well.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
i use a mule on mid-distance rides and a Deuter Alpine for longer / multiday rides.
The Deuter has a compartment for a bladder (not included) and is generally my favourite backpack.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I used to have a MULE. Got it around Bootleg Canyon for $50 about 4 years ago. I wanted something new this year because the MULE was set up a bit weird. I couldn't carry much stuff with it. So i got a huge one online. I think it was from pricepoint. It's the HAVOC. Huge. It cost me $47.

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
I have a Mule. It's nice, but the space is kind of hard to use...

My wife has a Deuter and it is INFINITELY better designed:

Do you know which one she has? I saw they have a Compact EX 6 and an 8. I initially wanted the 8, but am afraid it might be too big or bulky.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Do you know which one she has? I saw they have a Compact EX 6 and an 8. I initially wanted the 8, but am afraid it might be too big or bulky.
She has the 8. It's about as "bulky" as the Mule, but much more functional from a pack standpoint. The only minus I could find was the mesh shoulder straps were a bit uncomfortable with a large-ish load after about 25 miles.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
I just found out that my Camelbak model is the Blowfish :D It's exactly what I wanted in a pack, tons of room, tons of water capacity, but it doesn't fit exactly how I'd like it to. Bounces around on my back and the waist strap doesn't do much. I wish I had looked into Dakine and Deuter before I bought this, still works really nicely though.

Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va
I run a Camelback Origon 8 (I'll hafta shoot pics later),it's carnivorous,I can rarely tell it's there,and hold all the (way-too-much) crap I carry when I ride.

I rarely use the bladder tho...mostly H2O bottles,unless I'm going on a 3-4 + hour ride,then I use both.:D

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
keeping the funk out of the bladder is the trick. DO NOT put anything but water in it, rinse it with cold tap water (chlorine in the water) after every use and stick in freezer mine is 4 years old with no funk growing in tube

BumnAccic

Chimp
Dec 20, 2009
Belgium
Alchemy is a beast. Been playing with it for a while and its hard to get your head around at first but the benefits are very fruitful.

Camel Phat is pretty good for kicks and the filters are great.

swoody

Chimp
Mar 25, 2008
Chicago, USA
I do like my mini Camelbak, but I do agree that it is quite a hassle to clean, fill, use, etc. I really like the idea of the packs, but wish they were designed for easier use. What are these butt-packs everyone is mentioning? I'd really like to get something that's off my back (so it can breathe better) and lowers my center of gravity a little as well - I'm 6'4", so my weight is already far off the ground without adding the weight of a Camelbak.

-Woody

GhostX

Chimp
Sep 12, 2010
Oceanside, California
I have used two generations of MULEs, and really find them to be a good pack. Ditto on the finding them on sale, mostly look for last years or two years ago models, or an odd color.

I got my latest (an '07) in orange from REI on clearance sale for $49. It is very comfortable and had a backing system that promotes air flow over the back, so the "sweat" contact patches are smaller, rather than one big spot. :weee:

nauc

Monkey
May 14, 2007
i have the Blowfish (100 oz), got it for $70 at Amazon

freakin love it. i use it every time i ride

as far as cleaning, i just rinse it out and let it air dry. no problems since last Jan, when i got it

Last edited:

-RJP-

Chimp
Sep 19, 2010
SW PA
i got a camelbak lobo. picked it up new for under $35 a couple months back. i like it so far, it's a fairly small pack but still holds 100oz of water.