Quantcast

Camera glass

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i have that lens for my canon, and it's excellent.

just be aware that there enough reports about front- and back-focusing that you may want to thoroughly check it when you get it to make sure your copy is good. sigma is supposedly good @ re-calibrating and sending it back, though. luckily, i didn't have to deal w/ that.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
also, 30mm is not wide on a 1.5x crop (nikon) camera. it's a normal lens. still useful but don't expect to get crazy with it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
not sure if nikon works the same way, but i've set my canon to number the images sequentially. i'm at about 24K in the 12 months i've had my 30D.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
not sure if nikon works the same way, but i've set my canon to number the images sequentially. i'm at about 24K in the 12 months i've had my 30D.
Nikons do the same, sequentially in total or per card format.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
How do people edit through over 1000 images /day? I consider myself a fast editor, I can get an initial take of 150 or so images down to 20 in a matter of minutes, but there's no fvcking way I can deal with 10k per week.

Most I've ever shot in a day was 2880 (1 frame every 30sec. for 24 hours) and they just got dumped into FinalCut Pro.

Blue, to answer your question, you're fvcked in low light. You can't really utilise Nikon's fast primes and you can't bump up the ISO enough to use a slow zoom. Start carrying a tripod and learning to manualy focus. You are in luck for macro though, the 105VR is a great lens, but a pricey one, combine that with some extension tubes and you'll be set.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
How do people edit through over 1000 images /day? I consider myself a fast editor, I can get an initial take of 150 or so images down to 20 in a matter of minutes, but there's no fvcking way I can deal with 10k per week.

Most I've ever shot in a day was 2880 (1 frame every 30sec. for 24 hours) and they just got dumped into FinalCut Pro.

Blue, to answer your question, you're fvcked in low light. You can't really utilise Nikon's fast primes and you can't bump up the ISO enough to use a slow zoom. Start carrying a tripod and learning to manualy focus. You are in luck for macro though, the 105VR is a great lens, but a pricey one, combine that with some extension tubes and you'll be set.
Adobe. Lightroom.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

I'm well acquainted with tripods...I've been shooting in pitch black situations for the past 2 years with a point and shoot... ;)

Manually focusing at night on a tripod (whilst trying to avoid detection) is difficult, to say the least.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
D40 -
Very low light, manually focused w/ that 50mm f/1.8 - 1/40" @ ISO 200.

If you hunt around the f/1.4's are on eBay as well.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW - one tip: with the 50mm wide open like that, concentrate on focusing on the eyes, not the nose - the DOF is only a few mm so it makes a big difference. In the above pic I think I got the bridge of the nose so it could have been better. I love the expression though.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
D40 -
Very low light, manually focused w/ that 50mm f/1.8 - 1/40" @ ISO 200.

If you hunt around the f/1.4's are on eBay as well.
Nice shot...How low is very? Just indoors, dark outside, any interior lighting...I ask as I absolutely love handholding for taking pictures. Tripods really cut down on the volume of stuff I shoot, I've noticed, simply because it's a massive PITA to transport and setup a shot with one. At least in abandoned buildings where you're always under threat of getting chased/spooked by the proverbial "man".

These are the kinds of places I take pictures in, for reference:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I can get maybe a couple stops in ideal situations with a monopod and I've got pretty steady hands. A stop reliably, two with patience and careful technique. I wouldn't say that a monopod would be even a usable, let alone good, substitute for a tripod in terms of getting low light shots.

For long lenses, though... a godsend! Framing and waiting is a hell of a lot easier when you don't have to prop the lens up for long periods of time.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
A monopod doesn't do much for stability at low shutter seeds. It does however give you something to rest against!
It will eliminate some up and down jitters. It doesn't help drunken swaying though.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
no split focusing screen == no ability to manually focus, imo.
Doesn't matter. The AF sensor in the camera still works, and it knows if whatever is in the AF area is in focus or not. Just get it in the ball park and look for the little green dot in the lower left of the viewfinder. Works every time.

If you really need it you can buy an aftermarket focusing screen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
no split focusing screen == no ability to manually focus, imo.
There are several aftermarket split prism focusing screens. I've got pretty good eyes and haven't had much trouble with the several Nikons I've used but the split prism would definitely be an asset.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah. Monopod not so hot for anything longer than about half a second...

I need a setup that allows me to unhook the camera from the tripod, stash it in a safe place on my person, and completely collapse the tripod for carrying (eg, sprinting)...

All in about 10 seconds.

Anyone make a springloaded tripod like a backwards umbrella?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just get a tripod with flip locks. Manfrotto makes some. The flip locks can be popped open and shut as quick as you need.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yeah. Monopod not so hot for anything longer than about half a second...

I need a setup that allows me to unhook the camera from the tripod, stash it in a safe place on my person, and completely collapse the tripod for carrying (eg, sprinting)...

All in about 10 seconds.

Anyone make a springloaded tripod like a backwards umbrella?
Actually, manfrotto has a monopod with spring loaded mini tripod legs. Get that along with a quick release head and you are all set.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
This is around $450 with a head :shocked:
I spent less than that for a whole drumset worth of DW cymbal stands. Not crappy ones mind you, nice ones.

Photo stuff is ridiculously priced.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
$450 with a head is pretty budget level for a good tripod...
It doesn't need to hold three tons, it just needs to go up and down quickly... :disgust: Just the Bogen/Manfrotto stuff seems to be that expensive (and they do have much more affordable options - the monopod is $120 with a head).

The tripod I use currently was $20 from BestBuy. It's fairly flexy, but holds the camera without concern. For $450 I could fab my own jiggy jiggy out of carbon, pixie dust, and titanium bits...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I use the tripod my mom gave me from the 70's. It's a machined aluminum tank.