Quantcast

camp+trails

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
does anybody know of any campgrounds around VA WV or MD? We have a 34' travel trailer but I would rather use a tent, but we would like it to be dog friendly also. I also would like some decent hiking/biking trails. thank you.

FlyKiwi

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
SE Virginia
I was at Douthat this weekend :weee: and asked in the office about dogs. They charge $5 per day for animals. What animal other than a dog would anyone bring camping? :huh: Lo and behold, a pick-up truck pulled up with a dog and a GOAT!!! :confused::crazy:

FlyKiwi

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
SE Virginia
All of the trails are open to hikers and as far as I know the only trail that is closed to bikes is the one that goes around the lake. I think it's called Heron Run. It's never crowded with riders or hikers, and the hikers are always friendly.

The trails are not overly technical or steep, just long. All trails can be ridden in both directions. The easiest way to the top on the lake side is up Stony Run. On the ranger station side go up Mountainside and down Brushy Hollow to the suspension bridge. Brushy Hollow is the best downhill there.