Quantcast

Camping at Whiteface or Highland?

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Pretty simple really... anyone know if you can camp at Whiteface and Highland? Couldn't find anything on either web sites. Planning a road trip and would rather camp if possible. Any help is appreciated.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Something I need to check into as well. I'm heading up to Highland from PA in the middle of August. You can always call and ask, I just haven't had a chance to yet.
I was going to do that as well but figured I'd throw it up here since we are still planning the details and it is no rush. We are heading up around the same time as you. We are planning on riding Highland Fri/Sat, drive to Whiteface Sat night and ride there Sun/Mon. Should be a fun trip since i've never been to either of them.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There is no camping AT whiteface, but there's a state campsite down the road 100yds. That would be ideal and you could probably ride your bike right to the mountain, although I'd drive to have my tools and such. I think it's $25 a night. DownhillMike may also be able to help you out with recommendations for camping or hotelling, just ask.

Highland is rumored to allow camping in the lot, but it's not discussed on their site and they don't advertise it. I bet if you ask nice and buy lots of beer there, they won't mind.

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
There is no camping AT whiteface, but there's a state campsite down the road 100yds. That would be ideal and you could probably ride your bike right to the mountain, although I'd drive to have my tools and such. I think it's $25 a night. DownhillMike may also be able to help you out with recommendations for camping or hotelling, just ask.

Highland is rumored to allow camping in the lot, but it's not discussed on their site and they don't advertise it. I bet if you ask nice and buy lots of beer there, they won't mind.
Thank you sir. Is there anywhere else up there worth hitting? We were thinking about Bromont but might want to avoid a border crossing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Don't know where you're from, but if you're distant and making a one-time trip up nawth, I highly suggest you check out bromont, superb terrain and a commitment to biking, plus they're cheap and open during the week. I don't know anything about camping there. I think you'd be silly not to include plattekill in your trip as well, but Whiteface, Bromont, and Highland will give you a good variety of terrain. Plattekill is one of the originators and is worth the trip.

In my opinion, I'd skip Killington and Mt. Snow unless there's a race there. Killington is not nearly as satisfying to ride unless you love WFO ski runs. I haven't been to attitash or sunday river. Highland is great if you like bike "parks" and less pure DH. Everything is built and groomed but they lack vert and natural terrain. Oh yeah, everything is built about as well as you can possibly imagine, they do a lot with their trails. Jiminy peak is good for natural terrain, but it's not as gnar as Platty, as long as whiteface, or as perfect as bromont, it's just kind of a low-key place to ride. They're open weekdays but only the smaller lift runs.

Hope that helps some.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Highland does allow camping. No fires, No bathrooms, No booze, and no noise. Other than that they said we could camp there. We passed on it but others camped out from what I could remember when pulling up in the early AM to the lot.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think there is a local campsite that is much less lawsuit-phobic than highland...plus they have a lake to swim in which isn't invested with aids/mosquitos.....YMMV

NJHCx4xLIFE

Monkey
Jan 23, 2007
Central Jersey
Noise isn't needed but fire and booze are a camping necessity.

Sandwich, do you by any chance remember the name of that other local joint? Also on the other mountains we mentioned I think we might hit kingdom trails in VT but don't really know much about it. Platty is for sure fun but that is a whole different trip altogether for a race weekend hopefully.

Thanks for the info Mike. Any campground you recommend?