Quantcast

camping / lodging @ Snowshoe, WV ??

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm hitting it up this weekend. Can anyone point me toward a good (CHEAP) option on where to spend the night?

I suspect they don't let you camp in the parking lot like p-kill.

ridingdown

Chimp
Aug 13, 2007
hey man,
just camp down the valley in slatyfork. there's a logging road called mine road that is all forest land with roadside camping. it's right off the main highway, 215? can't remember the name.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Or if you don't want to drive up and down the mountain, you can camp in the parking lot at Silvercreek and ride the shuttle bus up top when you're ready to ride.
Just don't put your tent near the dumpster. The bears at night dig in it non-stop. Yes...I"m serious. They're pretty frickin' harmless, but it's a guarantee they'll be in it.

Or just hit up Stoneysnake on here to stay at his house or Trevyn's. Since they are the trailbuilders I'm sure they'd love to be included in your ride documentary!!!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Camp at Silvercreek. Its free and about 3/4 way up the mtn on the left. Make sure to hit up the trails behind the guardrail on your way up. Ask the bus driver to drop you off. Those trails are incredible.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Camp at Silvercreek. Its free and about 3/4 way up the mtn on the left. Make sure to hit up the trails behind the guardrail on your way up. Ask the bus driver to drop you off. Those trails are incredible.
ha.. those are the old XC trails. In the 90s we used to drive 5 hours to ride snowshoe xc because it had the most amazing and technically challenging trail network. If you're talking about what I think you are, it's a steep chute down away from the guard rail on the right hand side if you're going up. I remember that being a good one... steep!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
They have gone in there and cut long traverses across that step chute. The trail is super flowy and full of prizes. Plus it still has inches of deep rich loam.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
camping at silvercreek is your only camping option "on" the mountain (unless you want to hike out the ridge trail near Top of the World), and there is no such thing as cheap ANYTHING at Snowshoe; especially lodging. the 'cheapest' is the Inn @ Snowshoe at the bottom of the mountain. still over $100 a night i'm sure. not saying i don't love the place to death, but plan to spend some dough.

the highway at the bottom is US 219. if you don't mind staying off the mountain and in the valley, Mine Road in Slatyfork has some very good camping as well. tons of spots alongside the road and you can also get direct access to a huge network of trails, most of them consisting of the ones maintained by Elk River Touring Company, so you know they're buff. best all-around XC riding in the East (minus NC) in my opinion.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
not saying i don't love the place to death, but plan to spend some dough.
I never spend anything more than the cost for lift access. I camp at Silvercreek and bring my own food. Granted it was much easier this year with the toy hauler, but I have tent camped and camp stoved it for years.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
For cheaper lodging options, look at Spruce reality's website: http://www.sprucerealty.com/snowshoe_vacation_rentals/snowshoe_mountain_lodging_rentals/wv_west_virginia/rental_search_rentals.aspx

That is who we book through. We had a house for 4 nights last weekend for $60/person total and everyone had a bed. I forgot to grab the booklet that they had on the table. However, they had some places under $100/night. More like $70/night and they slept 4 people.

The pod place right next to the lift only goes for $125/night and it was pretty big. It would probably fit 6 people. I got to see the inside of it for the first time last weekend. Just as interesting as the outside.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I never spend anything more than the cost for lift access. I camp at Silvercreek and bring my own food. Granted it was much easier this year with the toy hauler, but I have tent camped and camp stoved it for years.
the man has a point. no problem with roughing it in a place that beautiful. camping at silvercreek is more attractive than staring at a hotel wall to me anyday.

Err

Chimp
Aug 28, 2008
I have always camped at Silvercreek in the past. It works well enough. If you ask at the office at the base of the mountain, you can pay a few bucks to get access to the showers/bathrooms in the Silvercreek lodge. In years past there were always free showers at the base of the mountain as well.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
We stayed at the Inn at Snowshoe this past weekend for $92 a night including taxes. And their phones are messed up so you can make all the calls you want for free.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
funny. I think we just walk in the side door outside the indoor pool & jacuzzi, go in the bathroom and straight to the shower at Silvercreek. No key needed if you knock during hours when people are in the pool. :thumb:

Oh...and we stayed in Shamrock #55 last weekend...5 people for 80.00 night..but really 4 is best. If you can find the owner (he's on the internet), tell him you know that the hot tub only runs when the downstairs kitchen light is on, the mattress in the couch is from 1970 and utterly useless, the downstairs toilet drools in the floor all day and that the dishwasher pours water into the kitchen if you try to use it...then offer him $40.00 to stay in it...?

Last edited: