Quantcast

Campy/shimano equvantcy list

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
would someone be so kind as to list the shimano and campy lines in order from highest end to lowerst end and what levels are closest to equal.

just thought it might be helpful to new road riders such as myself.

chriskaiser

Monkey
Jul 26, 2004
Toronto
Daytona is no longer

this is how it goes:

Record
Chorus
Centaur
Veloce
Mirage
Xenon

and all shimano is below.

just kidding, what Wumpus said above is pretty much right, but IMO i would say that chorus and dura-ace are pretty equal.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
DRB said:
Yeah that record is great stuff..... 1995 called it wants its square taper bottom bracket technology back.
I think Campy's square taper has a tighter tolerance than Shimano's splined doo-hickey. While some might say that a splined bb results in a stiffer blah, blah... some might also say the main reason Shimano went to splined "technology" was to save money in the manufacturing process; splined is easier and cheaper to manufacture.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
I think Campy's square taper has a tighter tolerance than Shimano's splined doo-hickey. While some might say that a splined bb results in a stiffer blah, blah... some might also say the main reason Shimano went to splined "technology" was to save money in the manufacturing process; splined is easier and cheaper to manufacture.
Isn't the BB shell more of a factor for stiffness than the BB itself?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
oh, to answer the original post...

most people think the two product lines are equal to each other from the bottom up...

sora=xenon
tiagra=mirage
105=veloce
ultegra=centaur
DA=chorus
... = record

I think what's more important than equivalency is ergonomics. Test ride both and see how the hoods feel. I prefer shimano, even if campy is 'better'.