Quantcast

Can a different wireless antennae help reception?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
My router is on the other side of my very long apartment, and I get a pretty weak signal with my desktop and the Rosewill wireless card it has. The card has a removeable antennae (little screw-on connector) that appears quite craptastic. Are there any different antennaes that could help with reception?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Sure, there are lots of high gain antennae that you can buy.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10403540

You can make your own directional antenna out of a coffee can, too. Is your weak signal actually affecting performance or are you just noticing that the bars are low?
Definitely affecting performance...Currently DLing a 220mb file at 20k/second on what should be a 5mbps cable hookup, amongst the hanging website loads etc etc...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Definitely affecting performance...Currently DLing a 220mb file at 20k/second on what should be a 5mbps cable hookup, amongst the hanging website loads etc etc...
Check out the tinfoil thing. Supposedly it works on pretty much any radio antenna. (wi-fi, stereo, walkie talkie, etc)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Tinfoil did no good, so I bought a 7dbi antennae from CumguzzlerUSA. Does absolutely no good for my network either on my computer or AP, but I now pick up a bajillion networks that aren't mine. Perhaps it's time to learn how to crack WEP...

They had a 12dbi monstrosity that cost $50, I think I'm going to return this one and perhaps try that one out.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
What kind of router?

And are you absolutely sure it's the router distance that's causing a problem? What if you move the computer closer, does your connection improve?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
What kind of router?

And are you absolutely sure it's the router distance that's causing a problem? What if you move the computer closer, does your connection improve?
Linksys...and moving my gf's laptop around makes it much better.

I blame the plaster and lead paint in this old place. I am reminded of an old Simpsons episode. I really don't want to move my PC, but I guess if I have to...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I bought a thousand ft. of Cat5 for like $30, you could always run a really long wire :D
Oh dude, I have like 9 billion feet of that chit...but running a network cable through the length of my apartment just feels...mildly geeky. :D

If I DO move the computer to the other side of the haus, there's an unlocked network that picks up really strong there. I may just ditch my own internets altogether...maybe setup my AP as a repeater.