Quantcast

Can a work place do this?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well I've about had it with this place I currently work at and their policy's and rules regarding overtime.........but that's just the start.

Our pay period is Friday-Thursday. I work the weekdays except sat & sun. Say.......they ask me to work a Saturday which is 4.5 hours, instead of paying me overtime they dictate when I have to take my 4.5 hours off which is before the next pay period. So I either come in late or go home early one day during that period. I don't mind that so much but it's still lame.

Now......if we have a mandatory meeting in the morning before work, we are paid the overtime (usually a half hour) and that's that. At least we are compensated.

Now.........today is another deal. They are having their annual meeting in which we were told we must attend. Ok......so that makes it mandatory right? Well work is from 7:45-4:45 with an hour lunch in there. Today, I have to take a 2.75 hour lunch because I'd be working "overtime" so they have stuck it to the hourly people and making them take long lunches. I don't think that is right along with everyone else and I'm sure that it is against some sort of labor violation to have us do this. If it was during the pay period they would have had us come in at different times the next day to make up for the "overtime".

Does this sound odd to you guys? I have nothing against being paid for things.........but to come to work, and have to take a 3 hour lunch because you can't get paid overtime? Seems retarded!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yes that's retarded, but it is what it is. I know of a lot worse things, but it's just part of what you do.

You could be salary and work from 7:30 until about 7:00 like I did last night and your paycheck is the same. Or better yet, I haven't had an hour for lunch in about 3 months.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
There was a really good article in Business Week just about how people are getting screwed on OT and what kind of class actions suits are being filed. You might look it up.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
At least you're not on salary and get paid "some" OT. I work overtime too... but you can't really call it overtime if you don't get paid for it.

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
I apllied for a job that they stated that overtime started at 50 hours since it was a salary to 50 hours but hourly after 50 hours. Now this company would work their employees 5-7 days straight with only a couple of hours between shifts about 5-6 months a year and the rest of the year they are lucky to get 20 hours a week

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I apllied for a job that they stated that overtime started at 50 hours since it was a salary to 50 hours but hourly after 50 hours. Now this company would work their employees 5-7 days straight with only a couple of hours between shifts about 5-6 months a year and the rest of the year they are lucky to get 20 hours a week
what type of business?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At least you're not on salary and get paid "some" OT. I work overtime too... but you can't really call it overtime if you don't get paid for it.
I average 50 hrs a week, not including time spent at home doing things at night/weekends. I make a good salary, but at times I wish I had billable hours for a little padding.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
where are you from? i see 805.. its funny sounds kinda like what my old place used to do.. especially those ****en meetings at 630 in the morning and no they didnt pay overtime... but they also had a nice legal team to make sure when they changed pay dates that it was legal it was... my advise to you brother is check out the cali labor board and see if you can find any info... i did unfortunately it only told me that they werent doing anything wrong... Fing corporate ****s

Sorry for my ranting... just thinking of that place pisses me off... which sucks because i met the guy that got me into DHing so i cant say it was a complete waste

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Same place Mauler.......Santa Barbara.

It really makes me wonder.........I will have to check out the labor laws and see.........and start looking for some place that is more "legit". This is a "legit" place by most standards (it's a BANK). But still........to force people to take a 2.75 hour lunch is nuts.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007

It really makes me wonder.........I will have to check out the labor laws and see.........and start looking for some place that is more "legit". This is a "legit" place by most standards (it's a BANK). But still........to force people to take a 2.75 hour lunch is nuts.
dang well whats up bro hehe, ya it sucks the fact that its a bank is like damn.... i meant legit in the way they treat there employees...

SCTreeHugger

Chimp
Apr 19, 2005

You are going to get sh*t on no matter where you work if you don't stick to your guns.

I wouldn't report it on my time card, but thats me. If my manager said something about it, I'd tell him what's up.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

almost 3 hours for lunch? sounds like a trip to the strip club and a few lap dances to me.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Well I've about had it with this place I currently work at and their policy's and rules regarding overtime.........but that's just the start.

Our pay period is Friday-Thursday. I work the weekdays except sat & sun. Say.......they ask me to work a Saturday which is 4.5 hours, instead of paying me overtime they dictate when I have to take my 4.5 hours off which is before the next pay period.
Don't know about your state but in Quebec that is indeed illegal. A pay period is 38.5 hours, anything after that is paid overtime unless you agree/request otherwise.

I had an empployer reported for it when they tried to screw me out of a bunch of hours and they got audited for my entire employment with them +4 years earlier for all employees. They got bent over in fines and back pay. It was awesome.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
You could be salary and work from 7:30 until about 7:00 like I did last night and your paycheck is the same. Or better yet, I haven't had an hour for lunch in about 3 months.

That **** sucks doesn't it? I can't remember the last time I had an hour for lunch. If I got paid for my overtime, damn could I buy a **** load of bike parts.

Then again, I had a nice 100% paid 3 week "vacation" while I recovered from knee surgery. Time off didn't count for any of my vacation time. :clapping:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It wasnt that he was getting cheated out of OT, he isnt going over the 40 hour mark, they are having him work two short days instead of his regular shift plus teh addded weekend hours. Instead they want him to work half a day on the weekend, then short a day during the week. keeping him under the OT level

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
depends on how you are defined as an employee. if you are non-exempt, which I believe hourly are, it is federal law that you get 1.5 time for anything over 40 hours.

companies break that all the time, but usually by giving you comp time in a way that makes you happy too.

the down side is if you speak up, your review or possibilities for promotion could be hindered.

This is an example of how share holders implement pressure for management to rape the middle and lower class. I know this because I was a supervisor for a pharm company and they made me do **** to employess (many of which helped build the company before J&J bought them and most even fought in nam) to "maximize efficiency." I quit and went back to my lowly union job, i make less, but i can look myself in the mirror and my family is priority.

sorry for the rant. if you pm me I'll forward you a labor law website- ironically it's on my work computer.

Yes that's retarded, but it is what it is. I know of a lot worse things, but it's just part of what you do.

I don't know whether luck or stubbornness has played more of a role, but since I started getting paid on a salary basis around 1975, I have done pretty well by looking managers in the eye and telling them that the engineering work week is 39.5 hours. There are of course exceptions, but I have to work harder to force myself to go home or take some time off than to fend off the managers.

As I have gotten to be an older and more senior dog, I have found that it's important to teach colleagues, junior and senior, that working twelve hour days is stupid and doesn't accomplish much. When you have some time in grade it's easier to speak out in a staff meeting and challenge the nutcase class A who's encouraging people to become robots.

Push back, folks!

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
Push back, folks!
You are right on the money with that statement. If you're a good employee don't let your employer lead through fear. I get so sick of people who complain but are afraid of an appropriate confrontation or writing an intelligent email about concerns.