Quantcast

Can an E-bike Outrun a Bear?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, but this isn't Kodiak or Brooks Lodge. These are mangy black bears for the most part and they aren't very impressed by bikers. I was taking a call from work a week ago and a 400lb black bear just cruised by 20 feet behind me.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Right click the image, pick copy image address. Paste it into the image tab next to the smilies at the top of the reply window

done!

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Run a bear bell, or turn your clutch off, if you are actually worried.

I’ve come across dozens of blacks in my life, and all the ones not in suburbia fear noisy, fast moving bicycles, and run from weirdo humans doing fast, noisy stuff.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
How heavy is an e-bike? I bet it's too heavy to swing at a bear like a weapon. So you can't ride from the bear since it'll just chase you, and you can't fight the bear because your bike is too heavy. Not good.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
How heavy is an e-bike? I bet it's too heavy to swing at a bear like a weapon. So you can't ride from the bear since it'll just chase you, and you can't fight the bear because your bike is too heavy. Not good.
Maybe I'll make a handlebar mounted Taser-Gun.
Imagine the voltage it could pack with that battery (when regular tasers are wallet sized).
Anyone in on a kickstarter campaign?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Bears are the most manly animals around. Thus they'd refuse to ride an e-bike. You'd probably beat one riding an e-bike, but more importantly even if you couldn't the bear wouldn't want to be associated with one and would stay away.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bears are the most manly animals around. Thus they'd refuse to ride an e-bike. You'd probably beat one riding an e-bike, but more importantly even if you couldn't the bear wouldn't want to be associated with one and would stay away.

Agreed

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
/\/\/\/\/\/\ I think those bears would beat each other.

The high frequency switching from the ESC drives bears nuts and they attack E-Bikers quite frequently.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Goddamnit, I'm pretty sure I've become the new "I've said to much" ridemonkey meme.

Oh well, I guess there are worse things in life.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Black bears are almost like squirrels at Mtn Creek

do NOT run away from bears....
My 29r steel trail bike is basically a bear safety cage in itself. the huge dumb 29" wheels cover a whole lot of me and the steel frame doesn't tear like any of my previous carbon frames. Pro-core is not bear claw resistant. 9 spd chain is thicker/ stronger against a bear attack. Add an additional 3 more bottle cages in your front triangle so theres not as much room for paw slamming.