Quantcast

Can anyone recommend a good HR monitor

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
I tried a Polar but all of the features fried my little pea-brain.....

I tried one from performance, and liked it, but it would go all wacky when I'd ride around high-tension wires.....

I tried Vetta, but it stopped working during a rain ride....

I don't need one the size (or with the functions) of a lap-top, and I don't need one that cost $1,000,000....

All I want is one that tells me current, max and average HR.

Is that too much to ask? Sugestions pulheeze.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
One of the simplistic Polar models would work for that. Which one did you try? They have some very fancy models on the market.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
I've used the basic polar pacer for years. upper and lower range settings, but no stopwatch. Very basic unit.

I'm with you, keep them simple so you can use them.

Also - power lines will mess up my Polar HRM as well.

teambender

Chimp
Jan 11, 2004
Casa de Motionboy
Originally posted by Heidi
One of the simplistic Polar models would work for that. Which one did you try? They have some very fancy models on the market.
I tried a 520 -- I think. Man, it was like you needed a degree from ITT tech to figure out how to even turn it on.

I also had some experience w the new 720i Polar model that has the chainstay mounted monitor for power and such...I installed one when I used to work at Excel on a GIOS and it made a nice looking bike into a birds nest of wires....:mad:

I've been looking at the 120, but I wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for one that's a little easier on the pocket book...Gotta watch the finaces ya know.

Thanks for the suggestions!

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
the Polar's are great... even the lower end simpler ones.

I have the S150, and love it.

The A1 is good entry level not a lot of thought to work it monitor, and is affordable.

Mocha

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver Island
I bought one of the 'upper end' Polar monitors and took it back when I realized I would need another degree to figure out how to use it. I took it back and got a simple model for half the price, and I couldn't be happier. I use it everyday and love it!!! :thumb:

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I have a Polar one too. Not sure of the model number, paid around $80.00 for it.

I was a little worried about learning how to use it, but like every else I just read the directions and it was a snap! It's really nice to know where your at with you heart rate and all.
:)