Quantcast

Can anyone recommend a U.S. suspension service center for a Vivid Air?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I have a 2011 Rockshox Vivid Air R2C that needs an air can service, and a tune change. From what I can see on the Push website, they don't offer service for them. and Suspension Experts in NC do, but after a phone call I learned they actually don't anymore. Suspension Experts full service price is $260!! I don't need a full service, which requires the $100+ parts kit, just an air can service and shim stack swap.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Gave them a call. They want $250 as well. I just can't stomach spending $250 on a shock I paid $300 for. I find it absurd that Rockshox makes the rebuild so complex that tech centers won't touch it or charge an astronomical amount of money to service it. I sent dirtlabs an email as well, trying to make it clear I don't need the full service, just an air can service. We'll see if they reply with a cheaper price. For $250, I can just buy a different shock, I might as well have a paper weight.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
dirtlabs is a solid choice.

but, I just glanced at the service docs (sram website) for that shock and the air can service procedure looks really straightforward and simple. why not do it yourself?

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
dirtlabs is a solid choice.

but, I just glanced at the service docs (sram website) for that shock and the air can service procedure looks really straightforward and simple. why not do it yourself?
Having never serviced a damper before, I was lead to believe the Vivid Air isn't the place to start. I know its an air can service but to do it you have to empty the damper oil, thus having to refill and bleed it, set the IFP depth, charge the IFP, etc etc. I am pretty mechanically inclined but it seems daunting.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^Exactly. That's why it costs so much. You can clean and regrease the air can seals but to change them you have to pull the damper rod and end cap off. Have you called Rockshox? They warrantied my leaking 2011 Vivid Air.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
^Exactly. That's why it costs so much. You can clean and regrease the air can seals but to change them you have to pull the damper rod and end cap off. Have you called Rockshox? They warrantied my leaking 2011 Vivid Air.
I have not called Rockshox. How recently did they warranty it? Was it replaced with the new model?

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Yeah, the problem with the Vivid Air is that you need to pull the seal head and shaft to access the main wiper and negative air seal, so you have to basically do a full rebuild if you want to do the air sleeve rebuild. Also, the 2011-2013 "basic air can service kit" from Rock Shox doesn't include all the parts required to service the air can so service centers have to pull out a full rebuild kit which is like 10 times more expensive.

In the 2014 Vivid Air, Rock Shox has released a much better "basic air can service kit" that even includes a shaft seal and wiper so doing full rebuilds on it should be much more sensible price-wise.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
hmm. I think I may call Rockshox and bitch and moan and see if I can make them feel bad enough to warranty me out a new one. What a bummer. Had no idea what can of worms I would be getting into.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
So from what I am gathering, what Rockshox has listed in their service manual as "routine service" actually requires a parts kit that is over $100, proprietary tools, and a complete tear down of the damper. I bought this shock based on all the positive, raving reviews of the performance without giving a thought to serviceability. No one of the forums anywhere or in the reviews said anything about "routine service" being so flawed. Rockshox is showing zero end user support in terms of user-friendly serviceability. Routine service would be an air can rebuild once a year...You are telling me that I have to spend upwards of $250 at a suspension service center, every year just to keep it performing properly? If I do it myself, I will have to buy a parts kit for $100, an air can wrench and IFP adapter for $50, the necessary oils, and then rely on my own inexperience with dampers to rebuild it. Fox air shocks can be rebuilt much easier by any dumb ass for $20-$30 in parts. This is unacceptable in my opinion.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I was also pretty disappointed to learn I couldn't remove the air can and change its seal without disassembling the damper. Major design flaw. How does CCDB deal with this?
you'd think for how often their sh*t breaks, sram would make it more user friendly for service :think:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I know people that have had some awesome warranty experience with sram stuff so I'll try my luck

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Talked to lbs, they said I would need proof of purchase, which I don't have.

Anybody dealt with garage works? I got a real reasonable quote from them.. Relatively speaking of course

Jan 23, 2013
Talked to lbs, they said I would need proof of purchase, which I don't have.

Anybody dealt with garage works? I got a real reasonable quote from them.. Relatively speaking of course
Yep, I use them when I blow up my double barrel air shocks. They're great to work with and usually have a 1 day turn around. Highly recommended.