Quantcast

can anyone suggest some trails?

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Hey all.. I'm new to this sport and extremely out of shape (don't have patience to lift weights :P ).. I was wondering if anybody could suggest some beginner trails for me in the LA County area?

I hitup the golden valley trail in Santa Clarita yesterday (just off the 14 freeway) and that was perfect.. I did some searches and couldn't find too many beginner trails out there without having to drive at least an hour. I'm looking for something closer to Burbank/Glendale that has gradual ascents.. The golden valley trail was perfect because it would ascend, then even out, then ascend, then even out..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-jp

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I don't know the exact name of the trail but everyone meets at the parking lot by JPL. its on the border of La Canada and Pasadena. From Glendale take the 2 north to the 210 east until you get to Arroyo. Exit and make a left..there should be a Jack in the box in the vacinity. GO north and there will be a parking lot on your left over looking JPL. Lots of bikers there in the afternoon/evening.

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Awesome, thanks. I'll have to check these places out. I'd love to eventually meet up with people and start riding with them, but for now i'm just too much of a noob. I get winded way too easily right now and i'd hate to slow down a group of riders. :)

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
If you don't mind fireroads, there are a lot of roads in the Verdugo Hills above Brand Park and Stough Park that you can make into a loop. You can look for trail info on La Tuna Canyon Loop too----it's a fire road ascent and a nice singletrack descent. That ride links in with Stough Park (up Walnut in Burbank) or Brand Park (Grandview in Glendale). The fireroads are shown in the Thomas Guide.

Edit: There are some demanding sections but once you get to the ridge, it evens out more. The La Tuna side starts with a tough 0.25 mile pavement climb but once you're through that it's a lot more mellow.

jpz

Chimp
Jun 14, 2004
Yeah, the day I got my bike I went up to the Stough trail off Walnut. That was a little much for a beginner such as myself. I was up there riding around for about 2 hours, but there was a lot of stopping for 5 minutes at a time to catch my breath and rehydrate. I never realized how badly out of shape I was. :) Now that basketball season is over, i'll probably head up to Stough after work every couple of days until I can conquer it without stopping.

Thanks again for the trail ideas.

-jp

bikebabe said:
If you don't mind fireroads, there are a lot of roads in the Verdugo Hills above Brand Park and Stough Park that you can make into a loop. You can look for trail info on La Tuna Canyon Loop too----it's a fire road ascent and a nice singletrack descent. That ride links in with Stough Park (up Walnut in Burbank) or Brand Park (Grandview in Glendale). The fireroads are shown in the Thomas Guide.

Edit: There are some demanding sections but once you get to the ridge, it evens out more. The La Tuna side starts with a tough 0.25 mile pavement climb but once you're through that it's a lot more mellow.

snaila4

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
SoCal
hey, i just found the las flores trail friday. I was up there at dusk so turned around and went home. Went out early saturday morning and rode the trail over to where it drops off into brand park in glendale. great ride. i like that it is closer to home so i can leave from the house rather than driving all the way to jpl in pasadena. Saw 4 or 5 hikers but no riders.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Ride Hummingbird on Rocky Peak between Chatsworth and Simi Valley. If you have a buddy with a truck you can semi-shuttle it, leave one vehicle in Simi on Kuhner St. and the 118 and drive up to the Santa Susana road to the Hwy 118 overpass, ride/push up the fireroad about a mile, the 'Bird trail is on your left and is well-marked with a park bench and tall post that says Hummingbird. Wear a good helmet and bring spare tubes. Look out for hikers and snakes. A super fun night ride with HID.

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
So what's the story, is it legal or not? I hear rumor you'll get ticketed if you ride it and that folks are riding something else these days. Last time I was on it we had no problems, but saw no one else on it.

Helius

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
So Cal
Well as far as I know I think it's illegal. But only untill you get under the bridge and then the rest of the dh is legal.... One time when I got tot the bottom there was a cop by the train tracks... And while we were loading up to shuttle it again he came by and talked to us.... He had no problem and didn't say we couldn't do it. I think we were just got lucky.

What other trail are people riding? Is it in the same place?

|S2|

Chimp
May 1, 2003
Ventura
I've been seeing a lot of photos of it lately, interesting that only half is illegal. I have not gotten the complete beta on the other trail. From what I understand it is on the other side of the pass.

Helius

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
So Cal
Ya... where have you been seeing a lot of pics of it? The other half under the underpass is stage coach which is legal I think.

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
:thumb: Hey, jpz,

Just get out and ride, and I mean that in the best way possible. Ride bike paths, tool along the beach or around parks and cemeteries. Just get out and ride, preferably 3 or 4 times a week. You'll build up your legs and endurance pretty easily if you keep at it.

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
One word...TUNNEL. Super badass DH trail in SB, well worth the trip up there. Watch out for hikers...and by that I mean aim well. :evil:

Helius

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
So Cal
Oh ya they tested the Dh comp, Gt DHi, and the Santa Cruz Vp-Free. Are there any other trails in this area besides G-Spot?

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
So tunnel is in the front country straight back from downtown SB. You have to shuttle up to the top pretty much, which is like 11 miles up this windy ass little road called Gibralter to the east of Tunnel. If you can't shuttle, just ride it, but start at like 6 in the morning and try to get to the top by about 9 or 10. My idiot friend did it once on his 42 lb Bullit...he ain't real bright like that. I chose to wait a few weeks and get a lift up. Gibralter merges with East Camino Cielo, but you probably won't realize it because its basically a really long driveway that goes along the top of the mountains. Just watch out for a small metal sign with the word "Tunnel" carved out of it, and its near a dirt track for dirt bikes. Watch for gray sand "dunes" at the top, thats basically where it starts, lots o rattlers. Then enjoy and say a few prayers before you head down, because it gets fast and it gets hairy QUICK.

Helius

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
So Cal
Nice I will have to get out there when I get my new bike in the next couple of weeks. How long is the trail?

DHGH

Chimp
Aug 31, 2004
4.5 miles if I remember correctly, not counting the couple miles of access road you coast down at the bottom to get back to the mission. The fastest time I've ever heard of anyone completing it in is a little under 15 minutes, which is incomprendable. It takes average riders like myself around 25 minutes probably, newbies 35-40, and every minute is a f'in blast.

jack123

Chimp
Oct 27, 2003
santa barbara
DHGH said:
4.5 miles if I remember correctly, not counting the couple miles of access road you coast down at the bottom to get back to the mission. The fastest time I've ever heard of anyone completing it in is a little under 15 minutes, which is incomprendable. It takes average riders like myself around 25 minutes probably, newbies 35-40, and every minute is a f'in blast.
someone told me duncan riffle does it in about ten minutes :eek: