Quantcast

Can anyone tell me anything about New Mexico?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So yeah,

Basically I just had a quite intriguing job opportunity put in front of me in Taos, New Mexico...and from what I can gather on the net...it basically looks like paradise to me. Fly fishing looks at least acceptable, there's lift assisted DH riding it seems...and its not a ****ing desert from what I can tell. Does anyone have any further info?

Basically Im looking at things like cost of living, rent prices, land prices, amount of hot, single women, and basically just what its like there.

I know they've held some DH races that monkeys have gone to, since I searched "Angelfire" the big resort there....so what's up?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
what the? they have a NEW mexico now?

damm, what will they think of next?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
quit bastardizing this thread. ive got a more days of indentured servitude left, so dont bring down my high.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
BurlySurly said:
quit bastardizing this thread. ive got a more days of indentured servitude left, so dont bring down my high.
really? that's pretty cool. do you get a pension? Northern NM is supposed to be really nice. my mom and her sisters spend a week there each year, my aunt owns a condo in angle fire (fire ahhhhahhh)
anyhoo good luck.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
The Toninator said:
really? that's pretty cool. do you get a pension? Northern NM is supposed to be really nice. my mom and her sisters spend a week there each year, my aunt owns a condo in angle fire (fire ahhhhahhh)
anyhoo good luck.
No pension here. Was only in 4 years...but I do get school paid for. BUT, i gotta go somewhere. I already am enrolled in school in TN, but Ill never turn down a chance to go somewhere better.

RM, i dont mind $500 treks, I only mind people asking the same questions about them 6,437 times in a row.

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Haha, I clicked this thread and while it was opening I was thinking about how awesome Taos was. We did a five week trip across the country last summer and we visited Taos. It was one of my favourite places. Really different, but awesome. Brian wouldn't like it because it is infested with hippies.
One night we went down to the center of town and there was this party type deal going on. Music and people dancing all over the place with cars going around and around. Pretty cool.

We tried a couple bike shops and none of them seemed exceptionally great or big, but were nice. We only tried one trail which was a really rocky climb to a flat trail along the side of some hills. There has to be more though.

Overall I give it :thumb: :thumb:

Great place!

-dAn

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Taos is overall pretty dang cool. The amount and availability of attractive women isn't ALL that high, but it isn't bad. The riding is pretty frikkin' rad, DH and XC style. Angel Fire is off the hizzy for DH and is like 20 minutes from Taos. And since it's all private land they encourage the locals to build build build aww yeah. Taos is fairly infested with hippies and artist types, and from what I understand a lot of money has moved there and driven the price of real estate and the cost of living up. A few hours from Santa Fe, a few hours from Durango. Overall, it's a thumbs up sort of place. Rock!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BurlySurly said:
So yeah,

<snip> Fly fishing looks at least acceptable, there's lift assisted DH riding it seems...and its not a ****ing desert from what I can tell. Does anyone have any further info?
Dude - it's a mountain town. Like Crested Butte, only........ well, closer to Santa Fe.

Basically Im looking at things like cost of living, rent prices, land prices,
Bwaaaaaaahahahahaha. Like I said - it's a mountain town. Everything will be expensive as ****. Unless you don't mind mobile homes that aren't in the mountains.

amount of hot, single women, and basically just what its like there.
Bwaaaaaaahhahahahha. Like I said - it's a mountain town. There are probably 6 hot women and 4,000 "mountain dudes" vying for their affections. It *is* pretty close to Santa Fe, though. There are probably 12 hot women there. They'll all be "new age" chicks.

The biggest advantage - no snowboarders at Taos ski area. ;)

-S.S.-

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
**** man....hippies?

Why is it that everywhere I want to go there always seem to be THAT catch. I cant ****ing escape these people.

Ok, does anyone know of anywhere that has good DHing, Good Flyfishing, few hippies, a non-sausaged-out population and a cost of living that wont end my hope of ever buying a home?

Yeah, haha, heavan of course, but other than that....?

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
BurlySurly said:
**** man....hippies?

Why is it that everywhere I want to go there always seem to be THAT catch. I cant ****ing escape these people.

Ok, does anyone know of anywhere that has good DHing, Good Flyfishing, few hippies, a non-sausaged-out population and a cost of living that wont end my hope of ever buying a home?

'

I didn't see too many hippies over all, I just have this image stuck in my head of a couple of them flying around at the party, like they were birds or something.

Don't worry about them, they won't hurt you.

-dAn

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
BurlySurly said:
**** man....hippies?

Attaching resumes and job applications to your clothes will help repel hippies.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Craw said:
Attaching resumes and job applications to your clothes will help repel hippies.
ha!
that's good.

I was thinking of getting a big firetruck full of febreze and driving around the country to neutralize the patchoulli stench wherever I could...I wonder if Febreze would sponsor me :think:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
BurlySurly said:
**** man....hippies?

Hmmmmm........... how's the DH'ing in Salt Lake? Anyone? You could probably find something like that in the panhandle of Idaho, too.

-S.S.-

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Hmmmmm........... how's the DH'ing in Salt Lake? Anyone? You could probably find something like that in the panhandle of Idaho, too.

-S.S.-
Salt Lake is Awesome! The cleanest city I have ever seen, not a piece of litter anywhere. Lots of street riding too.

Durango was my pick for best city/town over all though.

-dAn

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Deer Valley and Sundance both have lift served DH run crap. If you like to push the bike and/or shuttle, theres a few good trails as well.

Salt Lake isn't clean...unless you seal yourself away up on the east side.

There IS plenty of erbun, but good like finding people to do it with, and good luck not getting mown down by any number of vehicles. Utah=Not very bike friendly, cept near the universities.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
SkaredShtles said:
how's the DH'ing in Salt Lake? Anyone? You could probably find something like that in the panhandle of Idaho, too.
For the former, replace "hippies" with "mormons", and for the latter, replace "hippies" with "militant, armed psychos" :D

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Time to get this sucker back on track.

I'm from Santa Fe, and I miss the riding all the time. Good trails, cheap shops, and you gotta love the green chili. :devil:

If you're in SF, you should definitely hit my favorite ride. Have someone drive you about 3/4ths up the ski hill road to Aspen Vista. Ride the support road up to the top ~2000ft vert climb. You'll end up at the top of the last mountain in the rockies, and you can see hundreds of miles on a bad day.

When you're ready to start again, ride down any of the ski hill runs (depends how psycho you are) and at the bottom of the parking lot, catch the Windsor Trail, which follows the Tesuque River (you'll be amazed what we call rivers out there). It's about 15 miles, mostly singletrack, from about 12000, to about 6800ft, and ends up at The Bishop's Lodge which is a good place to have lunch.

If you're really in shape you can go UP the windsor the other way, then ride down the other way. On the way down, you can meet up with the Windsor from any of the trailheads on the ski road.

Anyway, enough rambling. Anyone wants any more suggestions, PM me.

-T

Colin

Monkey
Nov 5, 2001
in my tiny apartment
It's already been said, but, yeah...hippies. But, on the plus side there is a Guadalahara Grill on either end of town -- great food, cold beer. Almost makes up for the hippies. I was there last summer for field camp and the b & b manager was about to kick out our entire geology department.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Colin said:
It's already been said, but, yeah...hippies. But, on the plus side there is a Guadalahara Grill on either end of town -- great food, cold beer. Almost makes up for the hippies. I was there last summer for field camp and the b & b manager was about to kick out our entire geology department.

uh...you guys can let this thread die, i guess. I cant deal with the hippie factor.