Quantcast

Can Rhyno Lite XL handle racing?

L

luelling

I saw that Cody Warren was running Rhyno rims on his race bike at last years national champs (which he won)....my question is....what is your experience? I could save some weight on my bike by building two wheelsets, one for nasty courses and a lighter (rhyno lite) wheelset for pedaling and less rocky courses. I weigh about 165....do you think it would hold? I race Rhyno lites not prob back when I weighed around 140...but that was long ago

FREERDR4LF

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
FOLSOM, CA.
i ran rynos on my DH/FR bullit for 2 years and never had a problem. they are pretty tough, the only time i had a flat was from a really nasty thorn. other than that they withstood rockgardens, drops, roots and so on. i just wish i had purchased the black ones. and that's the other thing, there are so many websites selling them for such great deals.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
thats all ive been running for a while now...i like em cause id rather flatspot in a race run than pinchflat...thats what im gonna run on my new race bike

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Rhyno XLs are a great rim. They're pretty light and super tough. Just stay away from those regular Rhynos. If you're on a budget, they won't disappoint.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My main problem with them has been the fact that they're usually laced to a f'ing Shimano XT (or Deore) hub...Those cool, self loosening, axel breaking kind...The rims themselves have been OK overall for me...Goes w/o saying, but check spoke tension regularly...

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
First ride on a Rhyno XL up front and I dented it hard twice @25psi.
and I wasn't even on a ski mtn. Just my local fast rocky dh track.
Didn't get a flat tire though.
Granted I don't ride all that smooth but I can normally run a front Mavic D321/729 rim for 2 seasons or more without even trueing it.
RhynoXL for the ski mtn?
I guess it depends on how smooth you ride.
I know I'd completely toast a rear XL in one run at a ski mountain.
Other riders Iknow can run RhynoXL's for quite a long time w/o probs
If you start to kill them then raise your tire pressure.
What's your history with rims? you kill them often? I know I do.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I ran an XL for a while and had no issues. It got wrecked when the bike flew off a 10 ft drop without me on it and nosedived at Mt. Snow, but that could have taken out near anything.

ghettogt76

Monkey
Dec 5, 2001
Pleasant Hill, Kali'fo'nya
I rode one on the rear of my nicolai M pire all last season. I rode it pretty hard and I weigh about 210 lbs when suited up. I didn't even have to true it after 6 days at whistler and 7 days at N*. I'd say go for it.