Quantcast

Can you adjust a dual crown 27.5" fork to fit a 26" fork without geometry change?

Dh builder

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
I was wondering if you have a dual crown 27.5" fork, can you adjust the stanchions so that it will work just like a 26" fork?

I will be using 26" wheels.

The issue is that practically nobody sell 26" forks anymore.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You can move the stanchions obviously but you're you're still limited by travel. Plus 27.5 fork offsets with 26" wheels will be a little twitchy. Rockshox is better than fox in this regard.

Do you already own the fork? If not jut look a little harder. Lots of used 26 stuff around.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah, what 'woo said. The offset on most dual crowns is too high for the wheel size you're supposed to use in them. Putting a smaller wheel in won't be an improvement in that regard.

Can't be that hard to find a 26" fork.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Would have thought so long as you'd have had 15mm of stanchion between the lower crown and seals at full compression on the 26" fork you should be able to maintain the same head angle and axle to crown with the 27.5 version by adjusting stanchion height in the crowns.
You'd need to measure this to be sure though

I wouldn't worry at all about the difference in offset between a 26" and a 27.5" Boxxer.
Plenty DH 27.5 forks have different offset to each other and many even differ from single crown forks from the same brand.
I run 2x bikes with 27.5 170mm lyriks, each lyrik has a different offset (46mm and 42mm), One bike uses 27.5 wheels the other 26". both bikes have very similar geometry and trave and happen to share the same HAs.
Offset wise, Guess which fork is on which bike? Yeah... you guessed it, the 26" wheel bike has the OMG unrideabru with 26" wheels FORTY SIX MILLIMETER OFFSET.
it's 4mm difference FFS
You adapt to it in seconds each time you ride each bike. same as you would going from your DH bike to Derp/trail bikes

Back when most of us here rode/raced/lived DH and were probably faster than we are now we didn't GAF about offset.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Well, it shouldn't be that much of a deal.
26" 2008+ 888 had 48mm offsets and 581mm a2c
27.5" boxxer has 46mm offset and 581mm a2c
27.5" F40 has 48mm offset and 586 a2c

soo... unless You go with something like 52mm version (instead of 48) of fox 40 you are good to go...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Did you ever use a set of those? Looks like lots of creaky

When I referenced offsets, I was mainly thinking of fox.......which the 26" fork is still too much
No, never tried the Outsider ones. I've got a set of the Mojos, which have been great.