Quantcast

Can you hear this?

Can you hear this ringtone and how old are you?

• Yes I can hear it and I am under 21

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • No I can't hear it and I am under 21

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Yes I can hear it and I am over 21

Votes: 37 60.7%
  • No I can't hear it and I am over 21

Votes: 9 14.8%

• Total voters

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
stosh said:
I think you're jsut old.
I'm not deaf! I turned my speakers to max and put my head close to one of the speakers. Not a pleasant sound. Oddly enough I could hear it better with my right ear.

Maybe, I'm only "mostly" deaf. And old.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
I was reading an article on this and it said 40-50 years old was when you started to not be able to hear it. Not 21.

I'm 36 and I heard it. It seemed to quickly become background noise though, due to the constant tone.

Maybe I spent too much time listening to Metallica in my youth. :rolleyes:

J

JRB

34 and I didn't hear a thing.

edit - I hear it with the speakers on. :clue:

J

JRB

johnbryanpeters said:
Can't hear sh1t, but my co-worker heard it in her cube - "Did somebody just turn on a monitor?"
Maybe your hearing aid is shorted out. :D

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Damn, too much time running straight pipes. I can't hear it unless the volume is cranked all of the way up.

My kid could hear it from the other room at normal volume levels.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I guess I heard it when I cranked the volume all the way up on the internal speakers on my PC and put my ear right next to the PC. Otherwise I could not hear it.

Is it good enough to torment the youth with? (i'm only 34, guess I had my headphones on too loud as a kid)

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I heard it and am 33.

Although it reminds me of the tone generator that Winamp used to package with its early versions. I used to drive people nuts with high pitched tones for hours. :p

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I can barely hear it with the speakers cranked. A few people a few offices down (my door was closed) were all: "WTF, yo?" I'm 26. Too many hours on an angle grinder in a fab shop, I guess. Girls talking is another one that gets me...I ask my GF "WTF did you just say" at least twice a day. :(

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
jonKranked said:
22. heard it. then again i can tell when a TV is on, sometimes up to 3 rooms away. they emit a very high pitch sound.
Yep, I can identify a television on no matter where it is in the house or if the sound is down to zero.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i heard it coming from my headphones even as they were sitting on the table. it's very similar to the sound that televisions make when they're turned on but displaying no signal. i hate that sound.

i do wear earplugs when i go to (non-classical :D) concerts and clubs, and when my car was truly loud, with an unplumbed external wastegate, i made sure to either be wearing hearing protection or a helmet.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
like tenchiro said, a lot of speakers will have tons of fall-off in the upper freqency ranges so don't take the "results" too seriously :) .

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife couldn't hear it, so she took an online hearing test and found where her range is.

Just goes to show, hearing loss can happen from years of exposure to overly-loud hair metal during the 80's!