Quantcast

Can you run a single speed on vertical drop outs?

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Just like the topic said, can you run a single speed on vertical drop outs?

Do I need a chain tensioner? If so why?

This might be a dumb question, but I am new to the single speed mtb world.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Just like the topic said, can you run a single speed on vertical drop outs?

Do I need a chain tensioner? If so why?

This might be a dumb question, but I am new to the single speed mtb world.
Yes, you need a chain tensioner. DMR makes a good bolt on tensioner that mounts on to your drop outs. I feel like this has become a drill on the DJ forum.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Very rarely can you find the perfect gearing to run it with decent tension and no tensioner. It is possible to do it without a tensioner, usually with the use of a half link. Otherwise a tensioner is needed because there is not enough slack to use a half link, but too much to leave it alone. Lot of tensioners suuuuuck. The surly one for instance.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
cheah you do other wise the chain will always be coming loose and slapping around and snapping.
I just typed this into google translator and my computer started smoking.

I ran a chase frame singlespeed for a few years. Get a rennen chain tensioner. The product is called a rollenlager. It's big thick ass chunk of aluminum that isn't going to move, unlike those dumb spring loaded pieces of crap everyone else makes. The DMR thing looks like a pretty similar idea.

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
I was lucky to use a half link on a Evil Imperial and no tensioner. I broke one chain in 2 years. I had to play with the cog size to get it right.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Yeah the reason I am asking is because I have a YESS chain tensioner and for some reason the rear cog wants to derail almost every pedal stroke. It looks like the tensioner is causing the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am running a 36t up front and a 16t in the back.

Again this is my first single speed mtb build so I am pretty rookie.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Yeah the reason I am asking is because I have a YESS chain tensioner and for some reason the rear cog wants to derail almost every pedal stroke. It looks like the tensioner is causing the problem.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am running a 36t up front and a 16t in the back.

Again this is my first single speed mtb build so I am pretty rookie.
get a half link, if you are dedicated and have half a brain, you can just keep a chainstay protector on, watch the chain stretch, cut a link, force it back onto the teeth(not good for teeth but with a huge bmx style sprocket its fine.)

After a few months it will stretch and become the "perfect" length. might sound ghetto but i have had this done and it works great. same chain 2 years later.

If done correctly you will have to take your cranks off to take off you rear wheel.

*it is a real pain in the ass doing it this way, but it pays off greatly

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
The chain line is actually pretty great.

It seems like the tensioner might be causing a part of the problem along with the chain just coming off of the rear cog with pedaling.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Are you using a ramped cog like from a casette? If so those should be avoided as well since they cause such issues, not to mention it will dig into your casette body and ruin it. I also recommend investing in a 1/8" sprocket, cog and chain if you are currently running a standard 3/32 setup. If you are running a chain that isn't intended for singlespeed use, that could also cause problems.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Get a rennen chain tensioner. The product is called a rollenlager. It's big thick ass chunk of aluminum that isn't going to move, unlike those dumb spring loaded pieces of crap everyone else makes. The DMR thing looks like a pretty similar idea.
'nuff said!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Are you using a ramped cog like from a casette? If so those should be avoided as well since they cause such issues, not to mention it will dig into your casette body and ruin it. I also recommend investing in a 1/8" sprocket, cog and chain if you are currently running a standard 3/32 setup. If you are running a chain that isn't intended for singlespeed use, that could also cause problems.
I am using a single speed rear cog. I am curious if the guy I got this chain off of sent me the wrong chain. It looks identical to my regular 9 speed chains. Is there much of a difference on link spacing?

Who would have thought eliminating gears would cause so much trouble...

GTscoob

Chimp
Mar 9, 2010
Atlanta
Any tensioner will only work as well as the prep work you put into it. Try and play with different cogs/rings and use a half link if necessary to get your chain as short as possible. Single pulley tensioners cant take up near the slack that a dual pulley derailleur can so you have to get the chain length as short as possible, the slack is what is causing your chain to jump teeth.

9spd or singlespeed chain really makes no difference. SS chain advocates will say that their chains are stiffer, stronger, last longer. 9spd guys will say that their pins/plates are more advanced, lighter, slightly easier to work with.

A Forward Components eccentric bottom bracket is the best option but it is also pricey and requires the use of an external bearing BB. Or the Yess ETR-B tensioner, that is BB mounted like a chainguide. I still think that a Blackspire Stinger could work well as a tensioner, it would just require some additional setup time to get it in the correct position.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Got it worked out. Looks like a single speed chain fixed the issues.

Wish the seller of the chain I got didn't send the the wrong chain in the first place.

Thanks for the help everyone. I got to ride the bike for the first time yesterday. Pretty dang pumped about it.

I had a front rotor on there when I first built it, but the adapter I had was for 8inch rotors.

First time riding dirt jumps in 5 years (last time I did I broke and dislocated my right shoulder). Riding the small line for the first time:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i personally hate the look of a tensioner on a hard tail, to get around this i used a lower chainguide, got the chain short as possible and then rammed the guide into the chain to suck up the slack!! worked awesome and looked pretty clean i'll see if i can dig up a pic

this is my new frame with horizontal but i was using my guide plate for a bb spacer...anyways you get the idea i hope!

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks for the advice guys. I could probably actually get away with taking a whole link out. Might get a half link too. Well see how things go.

Again I really appreciate the advice. I am pumped to ride a dj bike again, even if I am not great at it and kind of afraid for my safety. haha

I am WAY more comfortable on my DH.