Quantcast

Canada Cup only for Canadians?

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Since I'm not going to Sonoma I was thinking about heading to Whistler a weekend early to race the Canada Cup and Crankworx. So my question is can you race the Canada Cup on Sunday July 23 without being a Canadian citizen?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Anyone can race the Canada Cups, you just need a UCI license($150) from USA Cycling. I have raced the Bromont Canada Cup a few times, easily one of the best races I have ever been to.

jus

Chimp
Nov 3, 2004
I'm not too sure about this one.... I know that you can race any Canada Cup series race, but the race at Whistler is the Canadian Nationals.... I'm not sure if you can race and your result won't count, or they will only allow Canadians to race? I'm sure Transcend will be able to answer your question, he seems to know alot about these types of rules.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
DHCorky said:
you just need a UCI license($150) from USA Cycling
Ouch. Can I get a one-day? Or is paying $150 my only option for racing in Canada? I remember I didn't need one for racing Crankworx last year.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Last year they did not let non Canadians race the National Championship, just as we were not allowed to race Mammoth. I am assuming this will be the case this year.

You cannot get a 1day to race internationally.

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
There was the same question last time the nationals were held at whistler. I think you can race, just not in elite. But you might want to contact the CCA and figure that one out.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Was just looking at the results from Fernie Canada Cup. Glyn O'Brien (Ireland) did race in the Elite division. Same case with the Canada Cup Final in Sun Peaks. So I guess you dont have to be Canadian to race.

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
this is the official word

Non Canadian citizens CANNOT race the national championships in whistler, every other race the CAN race

Glyn raced the canada cup final, this simply the final canada cup, not the nationals

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sirbikealot said:
this is the official word

Non Canadian citizens CANNOT race the national championships in whistler, every other race the CAN race

Glyn raced the canada cup final, this simply the final canada cup, not the nationals
There you have it. Any word on when Cworx is opening up registration?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Oh for chrissakes.....I'll go up that weekend anyway and ride the other open trails....or does Whistler shut the door on everyone for solidarity reasons during the 21st - 23rd???? Then I'll do Crankworkz after I've gotten my fill of goofing off.......:rolleyes:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Secret Squirrel said:
Oh for chrissakes.....I'll go up that weekend anyway and ride the other open trails....or does Whistler shut the door on everyone for solidarity reasons during the 21st - 23rd???? Then I'll do Crankworkz after I've gotten my fill of goofing off.......:rolleyes:
I highly doubt Whistler will close the park down. The race course will be Canadians only. Mid week there is the air DH, biker cross, slopestyle and then finally garbanzo the next weekend.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Transcend said:
I highly doubt Whistler will close the park down. The race course will be Canadians only. Mid week there is the air DH, biker cross, slopestyle and then finally garbanzo the next weekend.
Yeah...I kinda figured...I was just being an ass...I'm down for riding that weekend then doing the super d and air DH....have to go to a bachelor party while garbanzo is going on though....sigh....next year...

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Secret Squirrel said:

the canada cup course cuts off two other DH trails but all the high travel trails like A-line, Dirt merchant, , garbanzo, crabapple hits etc are fine, not to worry