Quantcast

Canadian monkeys... looking to stay in the Rockies for 5-6 months

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just thought I'd post a thread. We decided on our remote working nomad excursion to head up to the Canadian Rockies for 5-6 months. We really loved our vacation there several years ago.

We've been eying Canmore, BC and Golden, AB as bases if we can find a place, but would welcome other suggestions. Internet needs to be decent (~10-20 Mbps) but we don't have many other requirements. Needs to be some kind of okay grocery store nearby; Jenn's diet isn't going to cope with the small town mini-mart, but it's okay if it's a 20-30 minute drive to get there.

AirBnbs are pricey but there are some available. We've seen a site called "Rentola.ca" - reliable? Unknown?

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Why only 6 months you barely get to know the place? I would find something to far away from some lift accessed mountain biking :-) When I did a big tour of BC we also did a couple of days of riding in Williams Lake which was a interesting but thats 14 years ago of course.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What time of year are you going to be there?

We enjoyed the few weeks we spent in Banff, so I can see how Canmore would be appealing. It has all the trappings of a real town and is close to Banff, Jasper, and Yoho. The drive up to Jasper is actually pretty long, so don't let that fool you.

Be prepared though, if you are there come summer, its a damned zoo.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Golden seems like a really nice town. Let us know how things go and what you learn... these sort of shenanigans ate if great interest to me.
Was supposed to ride there last summer during our failed BC trip. Just so I could visit Golden :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We'll be there ~June through November.

I know it's a "zoo" in the summer, sort of. But we generally avoid the downtowns. We were there smack in the middle of the summer a few years ago, 10 days in Banff and Jasper, and had no problem finding isolated spaces once you get off the short trails and avoid the parking lots at the big lakes.

It's amazing how much the traffic drops off once you get on a trail that's more than 4 miles long.

We hadn't settled on a specific place, it just looked like Golden had decent accessibility to Banff, Jasper and Yoho. If we're spending 5-6 months in one place, we wanted access to multiple parks without a 5 hour drive to the trailhead.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
We'll be there ~June through November.

I know it's a "zoo" in the summer, sort of. But we generally avoid the downtowns. We were there smack in the middle of the summer a few years ago, 10 days in Banff and Jasper, and had no problem finding isolated spaces once you get off the short trails and avoid the parking lots at the big lakes.

It's amazing how much the traffic drops off once you get on a trail that's more than 4 miles long.

We hadn't settled on a specific place, it just looked like Golden had decent accessibility to Banff, Jasper and Yoho. If we're spending 5-6 months in one place, we wanted access to multiple parks without a 5 hour drive to the trailhead.
I was very impressed with revelstoke, had a small town feel but still had all the needs available plus it was right in the middle of some amazing county with all the big hotposts a short drive away.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Younger brother is a fire fighter in Sun Peaks, hoping to get up there and see him this summer, crossing fingers.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Hard to go wrong, really. My buddy from way back moved to Fernie 20 years or so ago and has become a bit of a local pillar of the bike community.

The riding is amazing and the skiing looks pretty damned good too. I think it's a bit of a cottage country of the Calgary oil barons who are willing to drive a while...

Think mining town, but with a brand new Walmart.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Hard to go wrong, really. My buddy from way back moved to Fernie 20 years or so ago and has become a bit of a local pillar of the bike community.

The riding is amazing and the skiing looks pretty damned good too. I think it's a bit of a cottage country of the Calgary oil barons who are willing to drive a while...

Think mining town, but with a brand new Walmart.
Fernie gets a lot of votes from a lot of my friends that have traveled to BC recently. It's on my hit list.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Welp. Found a place that just happened to come up and be relatively in our budget, right outside Golden, so... Canada, here we come for 6 months!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Welp. Found a place that just happened to come up and be relatively in our budget, right outside Golden, so... Canada, here we come for 6 months!

I assume you have already done your homework but FYI Canada has been cracking down on Americans working in the country in regards to taxes. I had to pay and file income taxes in Canada after working there for 3 weeks in 2019. Well my company paid my income taxes in Canada for 2019 but I never filed because I repress any motivation to complete bullshit paperwork. There is a chance I am now considered a criminal in Canada.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I assume you have already done your homework but FYI Canada has been cracking down on Americans working in the country in regards to taxes. I had to pay and file income taxes in Canada after working there for 3 weeks in 2019. Well my company paid my income taxes in Canada for 2019 but I never filed because I repress any motivation to complete bullshit paperwork. There is a chance I am now considered a criminal in Canada.
They mentioned that to me last time I was up there, I said I didnt know you. But they are aware.