Quantcast

Canadian Road Trip Recommendations (Bromont & Whistler) ??

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
alright folks, I've spent the last couple of summers racing around Europe, but this year is my first as a Master, so rather than do the world cups, a couple of mates and me want to come and spend a few weeks in Canada, ride and then finish the trip at Bromont for the Masters World Champs.

Only plan is to ride Whistler as a couple of my team mates rode there last year before the World Cup at vancover and I've been told I have to go.

Other than that we are looking for inspiration.

Anyone got any tips - where is the best place to fly to / from? We need to book flights this month really to get everything sorted for the summer of racing - so any advice would be much appreciated.

ta.

Col.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Road trip it... Get an RV.
Fly into Vancouver and drive to Whistler, stopping at Squamish on the way. Ride Whistler for a few days. Head out via Pemberton doing a ride there. Head to Kamloops, ride there (Sunpeaks has a lift too) and then continue on out, maybe head to Golden and ride there, ride Kicking horse. Then hit Calgary and ride COP. Maybe fly from Calgary to Quebec?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Flying from Calgary to Quebec would be nice...

I'm planning to drive to Victoria, BC (from Montreal, QC) soon and I'm not looking forward to that Ontario-Saskatchewan stretch.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jon-boy has a sweet itinerary but it seems like a lot to squeeze into the time you have, personally I would rather have more time to really get to know a smaller number of places. I've spent about 10 days in and around Sqaumish and Whistler each of the last couple of years and still felt like it wasn't enough time. The RV is a good idea too if you want to keep it flexible, much easier to change plans if you are your own hotel. Just my $.02 but as long as you plan some time in Whistler (and allow for a day or two of bad weather) you will be happy, very happy. Ahhh, Whistler...

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
bad weather! we are from the UK - if we stopped riding for bad weather do you think we'd ever get to ride! :p

anyway I've got to agree, whilst jon's suggestion does sound like a dream plan, I'm not sure we'd actually get anytime to ride, and just spend the whole couple of weeks on the road! - we are pretty flexible with our schedule so could probably spend up to three weeks over there, but don't want to waste anytime.

so really need to find a big map and works out what is possible in the time allowed, with the cash we have.

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
oh and is there a website for the Canadian National DH series - cos if we are coming over it'd be good to do a local ride whilst we are with you guys!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
There's two options for races, the BC Cups are good fun (cyclingbc.ca) as well as the Canada Cups.
I think if you can then go to Kamloops and ride. There's some really great riding there and I enjoyed riding Sunpeaks a lot. The Canada Cup goes there this year again I think. The course is so good, it's addictive. So fast at points, so steep at times, so good all round.
Whistler/Squamish/Pemberton will keep you busy for a good while too.
Not to mention Williams Lake area, Kelowna....
Basically you can find great riding all over BC.
I know my itinery was a little packed, I was just throwing out an idea to start.

BTW I moved here from the UK 3.5 years ago. That's the best idea, rather than packing it into 3 weeks. ;)

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
spend a whack of time in the sea to sky, Vancouver (shore!), squampton, whistler, pemberton, spruce lake.....then go back to the airport and fly to quebec....the S2S will fill up so much time and you'll only scratch the surface of what's around....come back next year and do the rest of BC!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Cheers to that Col, but I should have clarified - if the weather is bad enough they close trails at Whistler. You might be totally game and still end up hoisting pints instead of riding...not that there's anything wrong with that...not sure when you're going - happened to me last year in the beginning of June, but if you're going later on in the summer it's probably not an issue at all.

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
OGRipper said:
Cheers to that Col, but I should have clarified - if the weather is bad enough they close trails at Whistler. You might be totally game and still end up hoisting pints instead of riding...not that there's anything wrong with that...not sure when you're going - happened to me last year in the beginning of June, but if you're going later on in the summer it's probably not an issue at all.
to be honest I had a feelin that was what you meant!

well I think the World Champs are last week in August, but I'm struggling to get the details confirmed at the moment. So plan is to fly in, have 10-14 days to ride some of the best spots and then head over to Bromont race there and then fly home.

Jon-boy, totally appreciate where you are coming from. I'm just about to finish my teacher training and after I've got a year or so under my belt, I can't see me hanging around over this side of the pond for long! Thanks for the links to the websites, much appreciated. We tend to try and do a race where ever we go as its a great way to meet local riders and then hook up for some riding during the week. Cos only the locals know the best spots!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i'm gonna say Williams Lake. those kids were nice to me, and had good riding. but instead of going east to Kamloops, you'd go west to Williams Lake, so it's kinda of out of the way. by the way, the drive from Whistler to Pemberton to Lillooet is amazing. to a Texas boy, at least.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
bromont is thousands of miles away from whistler and the lot.
It will take a huuuge effort te get there. And -personally- i don't think it's worth the trip. It's a nice place, with good tracks but there were only 2 Great ones whil i was there last summer. One was the masters DH world championschips, and then aonther one, that was very near to it, can't remember the name. The other ones were okay, but not wikkid enough to make such a trip.
I mean, there were even black diamond tracks where i nearly hit XC riders trying it uphill.......

If you do make it to the east of canada Mont Sainte Anne is a must.
The variation, lenght, and technical challenge is much bigger. The world cup track is the nicestone i've ever done. Hard, rough with lots of flow and speed.
Then theres a 1378 or something, very technical. From here you can start the Worldcup track that ends in the 4X. Biking candy!
The ho chi min is a nice freeride to cool off your hands after a few of the above mentioned, but the scenery is gorgeous.

Without some time in Mont Sainte Anne, i don't think you should shuttle all the way east

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
to be honest mate - the masters worlds @ Bromont is the whole reason for the trip. so we'll probably book return flights to as near there as we can and then get an internal flight west to ride some of the other places that have been mentioned above, before returning to Bromont for the race.

I'm going to invest in a huge map of canada and then see if I can plan something.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
The time of year that your planning on being here will {hopefully} mean that it'll be dry and hot in Whistler. Good times.
If it does rain they close some of the knarlier trails on Whistler because of the rock sections getting slick. On these days go ride in Pemberton as it's so damned dry there a little rain makes the trails grippier!

Have fun planning the trip. You're guaranteed a good time.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
BadFastard said:
If you do make it to the east of canada Mont Sainte Anne is a must.
The variation, lenght, and technical challenge is much bigger. The world cup track is the nicestone i've ever done. Hard, rough with lots of flow and speed.
Then theres a 1378 or something, very technical. From here you can start the Worldcup track that ends in the 4X. Biking candy!
The ho chi min is a nice freeride to cool off your hands after a few of the above mentioned, but the scenery is gorgeous.

Without some time in Mont Sainte Anne, i don't think you should shuttle all the way east
Very true! :thumb:

The name of the track you're looking for is the 1837. The numbers were right but not the order... ;) :)

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
col said:
alright folks, I've spent the last couple of summers racing around Europe, but this year is my first as a Master, so rather than do the world cups, a couple of mates and me want to come and spend a few weeks in Canada, ride and then finish the trip at Bromont for the Masters World Champs.

Only plan is to ride Whistler as a couple of my team mates rode there last year before the World Cup at vancover and I've been told I have to go.

Other than that we are looking for inspiration.

Anyone got any tips - where is the best place to fly to / from? We need to book flights this month really to get everything sorted for the summer of racing - so any advice would be much appreciated.

ta.

Col.

Hi Col,

I race DH "Masters" level in Quebec and was at last year's Worlds in Bromont.
There may also be a race on the Quebec circuit just prior to the World's at Bromont that might be of interest also ?
I am also pretty familar with a number of areas out in BC.
Send me a PM with specific questions and I will try and help you out if I can.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI

snoopz666

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
now residing in kamloops
whistler is a for sure then you should go to kamloops, theres so much there you could spend an entire summer there there, tonnes of singletrack, lots of big and fast stuff too. if youve ever watched the collective, the part with Romaniuk, most of that is in kamloops and thats just a little bit of it. talk to sum of the locals, go to one of the bike shops there. i would suggest full boar. the people there are awesome, wherever you decide to go im sure you have an awesome time.

-peace

ggb

Chimp
May 14, 2002
I would not book your trip until the date and location of World Masters has been confirmed. Mondial du velo is the organizer but the exact date and location has not yet been confirmed

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
If you're going just for fun, check out Woodlot, a little east of Vancouver. It's a hike-a-bike all the way up a old road turned stream-bed so you couldn't bike up if you wanted to. The trails are pretty refined and lots of stunts. It's worth a look, some of the most fun I've ever had. The North Shore is fun, though Fromme gets pretty nasty at the bottom with a lot of rocks. One trail is literally paved with rocks. Lots of good stunts though. The closest thing across the boarder is Lookout Mt just south of Bellingham WA.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
jon-boy said:
The time of year that your planning on being here will {hopefully} mean that it'll be dry and hot in Whistler. Good times.
If it does rain they close some of the knarlier trails on Whistler because of the rock sections getting slick. On these days go ride in Pemberton as it's so damned dry there a little rain makes the trails grippier!

Have fun planning the trip. You're guaranteed a good time.
yup, best time to ride pemby is after a week of rain....so much traction and some seriously killer trails....mmmmm gravitron.....

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
seriously guys - thanks for all the help!

I'm currently trying to get the date and venue confirmed for the world champs and then we can start planning seriously. I'm liking the sound of combining it with a NORBA, as I've ALWAYS wanted to race one of those. So perhaps we can fit that in aswell.

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
ggb said:
I would not book your trip until the date and location of World Masters has been confirmed. Mondial du velo is the organizer but the exact date and location has not yet been confirmed
just heard from a mate, that the World Masters is going to be at Sun Peaks Resort on the 12th/13th of August? This would be good as it saves travelling all the way back across Canada for the race after we've ridden in BC.

But can anyone confirm this, as info about the event seems pretty hard to come by and the website for the organisors hasn't been updated and they are not responding to my email!

I wanna get this thing planned so I can sit back and look forward to it!!!!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I can't help you too much, but the Canada Cup and BC Cup rounds are planned for Sun Peaks on that date. I can't imagine that they'd have all three events there at once. That would be a LOT of racers.
If it was that weekend it would work well for you. You could also get to see the Whistler Cranworx races before you drive out to Kamloops.

Jon.

col

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
I have some confirmation that might interest people thinking of entering the World Masters.

"We can now confirm that the 2005 World Masters Championships will be held at
Sun Peaks Resort, in British Columbia, Canada, from August 9th to 14th 2005"

so now it means I don't need to trek across to Bromont - Happy Days!!!!

so plans got a little easier!

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Wow that's worked out really well for you. I'll be booking some vacation for that. I wanted to race there after riding Sunpeaks last summer. It's a wickedly fun course.
See you there.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Fly into Calgary, then ride Fernie Resort, Panarama Resort, Kicking Horse Resort, Golden local, Sun Peaks resort, Kamloops local, Pemberton local, Whistler resort, North Shore local and fly out of Vancouver. This would be the perfect trip.... If you had enough time you could hit Nelson, Rossland and Whitefish Montana, which are all within a few hours of each other.