Quantcast

Cane Creek Blues....

NEGladeRider

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
metheun,ma
I have a Cane Creek Double Xc headset. For those who don't know it's a 1.5 bearing set with a inch and an 1/8th conversion for inch and an 1/8th forks. I have a 2003 super T fork mounted on my Gemini frame. My problem is that the lower race keeps pulling by the lower bearing. It's happened to me 3 times now. I ovalized the lower bearing on my first headset. So I had a shop install the second one just to be sure I didn't do something wrong the first time. But just this past weekend it happened again. What has caused it is jumping about 5ft to flat. I know the headset was tight enough because I check it before every ride. Has anybody had this problem with their headset? I don't have much options as far as 1.5 headsets go. The lower race looks real shallow to me. With only about 2mm’s of a bevel to hold the race in the bearing doesn't seem right. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Don't listen to that p1 guy apparently he doesn't know anything about the 1.5 system because you really have the only headset that will let you use a DC fork on your bike.

If I understand your problem right you are pulling the bearing out of the cup right? Are your crowns tight? It doesn't seem like you should be able to get enough movement to actually pull the bearing out of the cup, you may see if you can get a different lower cup as the one you have may be just a little too big and the bearing won't press in tight. you may want to make sure that your lower race is seated properly on the fork too, I've never seen that done wrong but I guess there's a first time for everything.

If all else fails you can try getting those reducers that fit in the headtube and allow you to use a standard 1.125 headset but then again if there is something else that isn't right you may have the same problem with a 1.125 headset as well.

NEGladeRider

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
metheun,ma
I explained my problem and described what headset I had and what fork. They told me that the lower crown race I have is not designed for a dual crown fork. They make another race with a larger more tapered race. They are sending me out a new warrenty headset with the right race. If only I would have called them before I bought the second one.... Oh well.. live and learn... thanks for the reply though..