Quantcast

Cane Creek Preloader. What?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's to replace the plastic preloader that some cranks come with e.g. SRAM DUB. Does the same as the doohicky on the outside of Shimano cranks, preload the bearing and then tighten the appropriate bolts to hold the crankarms in place.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, those are the crank spindle preloader for their eewings cranks. apparently also works on some other cranks w/ a 30mm spindle.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
They are nice. I used to go through one of the shitty plastic ones that Race Face uses every few months, but the one that came on my eeWings is doing great after 2 years. I used to buy multiples of the RF ones at a time because I knew how easy the stupid things stripped out (not just the bolt, but he ring itself).

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I didn't buy new bike for a few years and they managed to fuck up cranks so now you either constantly replace parts or you need fancy cc gear to fix it?

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
They do work well. I did notice the SixC cranks came with an aluminum ring, whereas the Next SL and maybe the Next R come with a plastic one.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So I didn't buy new bike for a few years and they managed to fuck up cranks so now you either constantly replace parts or you need fancy cc gear to fix it?
Not really, I mean the industry was fucking stuff up from even back then.

This is just nice bling.

I can only speak for the RaceFace ring, which is plastic and has a tiny 2mm shitty steel bolt on it. I've always been worried about the plastic breaking or stripping that little screw, but its never actually happened. But the fear is real.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not really, I mean the industry was fucking stuff up from even back then.

This is just nice bling.

I can only speak for the RaceFace ring, which is plastic and has a tiny 2mm shitty steel bolt on it. I've always been worried about the plastic breaking or stripping that little screw, but its never actually happened. But the fear is real.
It was but I remember the good old days where the number of standards was getting smaller. Good old days of every bike having same rear hub, bb, seatpost size with only 2 headset options. All was threaded. No internal cable bs.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
QUOTE="Jm_, post: 4632913, member: 1359"]
Or just use shimz
[/QUOTE] I usually lathe some. Barstock and leave an 0.020" gap, and use the good ol wheels mfg wave washer that's about 0.018" to do my preloading

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
QUOTE="Jm_, post: 4632913, member: 1359"]
Or just use shimz
I usually lathe some. Barstock and leave an 0.020" gap, and use the good ol wheels mfg wave washer that's about 0.018" to do my preloading
[/QUOTE]

Anyone who uses lathe as a verb needs to have their machines confiscated and sent to a proper home.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
While I am a confirmed hater of the cinch interface, I'm still on the fence with the actual assembly of RF 30mm cranks. I use shims to space my driveside crankarm and get enough tension on the NDS, but I haven't had a problem with the plastic retainer. It needs a gentle touch, and I understand why this part exists, but I haven't had to buy one yet.

MTB has SLX cranks so I'll never have to worry

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
I usually lathe some. Barstock and leave an 0.020" gap, and use the good ol wheels mfg wave washer that's about 0.018" to do my preloading
Anyone who uses lathe as a verb needs to have their machines confiscated and sent to a proper home.
[/QUOTE]
Lol.
I only use that terminology here on the Interwebz go along with catch phrases like moar shimz.

My brother and I make fun of the phrase "just bore it out bro" it's idiot for "perform various machine operation"

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Those days are never comin' back... as good as they were. :D
Naah it's still kinda doable to build a bike like this it's just stupid expensive now. Some Avy and Vorsprung Susp. Buy some old brakes when they used to be reliable (or splash on trickstuff since I hear they work good). Save weight only on parts that usually don't collapse and it should be good. If I could build a reliable 16.5kg DH bike in 2010 no reason this should not be possible with an enduro bike in 2022

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Bikes 10 years ago were lighter because the frames were smaller & weaker, the wheels / tires were smaller, the tires weren't as burly, and the suspension wasn't as stout / durable.

I had a 2013 Nomad setup with a DHX2, 36, and flat pedals that weighed right at 30 lbs. Of course that was with wimpy EXO tires. I don't even know what my current setup weighs but it's got to be something like 35 lbs (not even with inserts). The current bike is durable as fuck though.

Pneuma

Chimp
Nov 5, 2021
^ New uphillable bikes are also stiff as fuck. My Megatrail feels like a DH bike in this regard. The enduro it replaced was a noodle and that was final straw to replace that dumb thing.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Bikes 10 years ago were lighter because the frames were smaller & weaker, the wheels / tires were smaller, the tires weren't as burly, and the suspension wasn't as stout / durable.

I had a 2013 Nomad setup with a DHX2, 36, and flat pedals that weighed right at 30 lbs. Of course that was with wimpy EXO tires. I don't even know what my current setup weighs but it's got to be something like 35 lbs (not even with inserts). The current bike is durable as fuck though.
While I agree on frames and wheels being smaller the claim the suspension wasn't as stout was BS. Especially that I was talking DH bikes. Not my fault you have built your bike on weak components. It's your choice not a change in trends.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
XKCD FTW every day.

Still The mistake is thining a standard to be universal needs to be developed from scratch. Somehow we never had this issue with cassetes and discs. One always won. No one tried to make a universal casette that's not vhs or beta.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
the tires weren't as burly
Eh? where do you get that idea?
26" DH tyres from maxxis are more burly than their wobble prone 29" versions.
and BITD a few other manufacturers made super heavy 26" 4 ply DH tyres. If that sort of casing were a thing now you'd have 1600g+ 29x2.5" tyres

Personally I still like lighter bikes (around 30lb ish) and still think DH casings, low pressures and soft compounds ride horribly uphill or anywhere flatter that requires pedaling or accelerations. i realise mountainbiking has changed and puts me firmly in the minority surrounded by endurbros on 36lb trail bikes but with less than 10% of most days trail riding actually spent riding downhill a heavy bike and heavy draggy tyres just makes the other 90% of ride less enjoyable.
Obviously this will differ dependant on your local trails.

Anodised Alu BB30 pre-load collars have been available on ebay/Aliexpress for a while. About a tenner shipped

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I personally hate people who use "drill" or "hammer" as verbs instead of "rotary method hole production technique" and "percussion tune"

But drill and hammer are verbs, the proper nouns for the tools are drill motor/spindle and adjustable wrench.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
and BITD a few other manufacturers made super heavy 26" 4 ply DH tyres. If that sort of casing were a thing now you'd have 1600g+ 29x2.5" tyres

Personally I still like lighter bikes (around 30lb ish) and still think DH casings, low pressures and soft compounds ride horribly uphill or anywhere flatter that requires pedaling or accelerations. i realise mountainbiking has changed and puts me firmly in the minority surrounded by endurbros on 36lb trail bikes but with less than 10% of most days trail riding actually spent riding downhill a heavy bike and heavy draggy tyres just makes the other 90% of ride less enjoyable.

Anodised Alu BB30 pre-load collars have been available on ebay/Aliexpress for a while. About a tenner shipped
:stupid:

ahhh wahh my bike is heavier....yeah but your bike can now downhill as well as downhill bikes from that time period and climb as well as bikes from that period.

I'm over here with a bike I haven't upgraded in a couple of years that weighs under 30 and climbs better than anything else I've owned. Super capable bikes out there, you just need to build the right one. Sacrifice a little DH ability for some climbing and I bet you can still get a 24lb bike that would have set records back in the day.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
:stupid:

ahhh wahh my bike is heavier....yeah but your bike can now downhill as well as downhill bikes from that time period and climb as well as bikes from that period.

I'm over here with a bike I haven't upgraded in a couple of years that weighs under 30 and climbs better than anything else I've owned. Super capable bikes out there, you just need to build the right one. Sacrifice a little DH ability for some climbing and I bet you can still get a 24lb bike that would have set records back in the day.
24lb? My cat with a sock on his head weighs that. I get 14-15kg but sub 11?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

This. Generally I would still use soft tires for uplift days but yeah In the good old days 99% of the people you met used proper burly sidewall tires. Hell if someone used anything different he got pineapple on pizza looks.