Quantcast

Canfield Brothers Balance sizing ?

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
Sizing Help?

The new canfield Balance frame has some unusual sizing. I am 5'8" and I normally rock a 22.5" tt frame. According to canfield balance geometry I would looking at a Large frame. Which I am not too sure about. Normally size Large frames are for people who are like 5'10" and up. Any suggestions? My type of riding is normally trail/all mountain. Do you guys normally go w/ a shorter tt for freeriding/dh?

depends on how you devide your time. Short for jumping, bigger for going fast, whatever, I am 5'7'' and go for a small, Chris Canfield is much taller than me (over six feet) and switches between a small and a medium canfeild, so I would think you would be more of a small/med not a med/large, it really comes down to if you like a bigger or a smaller bike. hope it helps.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I think the top tubes listed are actual not effective. not 100% though, look at wheel base too! but remember it has short chainstays

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
The geometry of the Balance is geared toward Dh / dirt jump so it runs small. The actual T-T lengths are S - 20.125, M - 21.125, L - 22.125 and XL - 23.125. I'm 6 foot and plan to ride more trail on this bike so I'm getting a large but I've been riding a small for DJ and park it I can fit on it but it's too small for extended rides. I would think you need a med or Large depending on how you want your bike to fit. The best way for you to know for sure how it will fit you is use our DH sizing to compare your current bike. Measure your B-B center - horizontal - to your top center of head tube. This is the true fit of the bike standing up regardless of seat angles and offsets.

gadafi

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
a question about sizing....i'm 5'10" and currently on a medium preston which feels just right....what size will fit me? the canfields measurements are a bit confusing...i usually run 22" top tubes on medium frames, the medium balance is supposed to have a 16" ST and a 22"TT as stated on their HP, but then i came across this:

here the medium has 20.5" which is kinda short!!! and the large has 21.75" instead of 23"???

Canfields: "The geometry of the Balance is geared toward Dh / dirt jump so it runs small. The actual T-T lengths are S - 20.125, M - 21.125, L - 22.125 and XL - 23.125."

Now which one is right???

your comments would be very helpful

Attachments

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
The effective T-T on the Balance frames are 21", 22", 23", 24". The actual T-T lengths are S - 20.125, M - 21.125, L - 22.125 and XL - 23.125."
That jpg is not correct.

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
I'm 5'11" and I own and ride a Large Balance. It feels perfect for me. I ride mostly all-mountain type trails, no big DJ's or freeride hucking for me.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
I have two Balance's and I'm 6'0". I run a 100mm on a large and a 60mm stem on a medium. The large is my AM/xc bike and the medium is for jumping and generally screwing around. The medium feels really small for me and is way too small to pedal for any extended time but jumps amazingly. The large is just right for extended rides but is a bit too stretched out to feel comfortable jumping alot. If I could only ride one I would use the large and get a shorter stem, like a 60-80mm.
The top tube size is the one to compare with other bikes. Our seat tube length's run short for better seat clearance.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
At 6' tall, it's the right setup for me. I'd go with a short stem whenever it doesn't hinder pedaling too much. A stem just long enough to not snag my shorts on the shifters.