Quantcast

Canfield F1 riders...

n00dlez

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
Woodbridge, New Jersey
How do you guys like the frame? Right now im riding a big hit and its great but im looking to upgrade sometime in the near future. I was looking at the F1 but wasn't sure, was hoping to maybe get some feedback from you guys.

Thanks alot.

L

luelling

I'll suggest it, since someone will....use the search feature. There have been plenty of bike reviews and the F1 has been talked about a lot.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
Ive got 2 and love em! :D
1 built and a spare. Cant have enough of a good thing! :thumb:

The white one is my ride for the moment.
I have all but a fork on the red one right now, the rest is broken down as a spare set up.
red=medium
white=large
not fair

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I'll throw out a suggestion... the Lucky builds up to be a DH ripper too, low, slack but with a shorter rear end. I've been riding mine since they first came out and I'm super happy with the bike, it really likes to be handled physically and ridden fast.

n00dlez

Chimp
Apr 4, 2007
Woodbridge, New Jersey

I have all but a fork on the red one right now, the rest is broken down as a spare set up.
red=medium
white=large
If im 5'8" which do you think is a better size for me? medium or large?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005

red=medium
white=large
your not rocking your own chain guards!
wth?
haha.
Mines still going strong, but doesnt cover the stay ALL the way, so I may cover her up for awhile... :-/

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I still am rocking my chain guards, these pics were from before. I have the cany skulls on a black background and I have the clear with the shocks on the hose routing for the avy and the clear with the forks for the cables up front. Oh yeah I also have the clear with the rotors on the rear left side where the brake cakble routing touches the frame.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If im 5'8" which do you think is a better size for me? medium or large?
Medium for sure, I am 6'3" and I rock a large for racing and really nasty stuff the med is a little small but a bomb proof freeride set up.
I would do a medium if I were your size its going to fit like a glove.

As far as ride, it gains speed in nasty stuff real quick and rolls through rockgardens extremely well. I hit stuff at beacon and the rearward arch allowed the bike to float over the stuff with no bucking or brake jack. That and it handles corners/single track and straight drops spot on.
Best bike I've owned to date!!!!:banana:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
I came from a BigHit long ago, then rode a Canfield F1 for 3.5 years, and now I'm on a Morewood Izimu.

The Canfield was a great ride, which is why I stuck with it for so long. It was a very stable bike, making it a great race bike for courses like Snowmass (wide open with huge brake bumps and long, sweeping corners). However, as I've recently discovered since owning the Morewood, the Canfield allowed me to slack on my riding form. A lot. It is stable enough that you can simply plow over anything without utilizing your body to increase your speed, corner without good form, etc. Basically, after all those years I ended up riding with the same bad habits day after day because the bike would go fast regardless. I'd suggest getting a bike that makes you earn it - this will dramatically help your riding. You'll find yourself turning better, pumping sections and gaining speed, and enjoying the ride more because of it.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
As far as ride, it gains speed in nasty stuff real quick and rolls through rockgardens extremely well. I hit stuff at beacon and the rearward arch allowed the bike to float over the stuff with no bucking or brake jack. That and it handles corners/single track and straight drops spot on.
Best bike I've owned to date!!!!:banana:
Have to echo the above comments...the bike always suprises me in how fast it accelerates and how good it is in the tight stuff. Can't manual or wheelie it if my life depended on it, however...not that you ever really need to.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Have to echo the above comments...the bike always suprises me in how fast it accelerates and how good it is in the tight stuff. Can't manual or wheelie it if my life depended on it, however...not that you ever really need to.
Practice; I can manuall over the whoops and wheelie it all over no problem. (disclaimer: do not try to wheelie a hardtail or short bike after mastering the F1. You will wheelie out :D)

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Practice; I can manuall over the whoops and wheelie it all over no problem. (disclaimer: do not try to wheelie a hardtail or short bike after mastering the F1. You will wheelie out :D)
It's weird, though...put me on any other bike and I can manual/wheelie for days no problem...hell, I can wheelie my commuter.

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
The way it picks up speed and pumps through rough tracks is surprising, you can pick the front of the bike up but lengthy manuals are still causing me some issues. Maybe if the bike was a touch shorter it might be better for that.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The way it picks up speed and pumps through rough tracks is surprising, you can pick the front of the bike up but lengthy manuals are still causing me some issues. Maybe if the bike was a touch shorter it might be better for that.
I have a set of prototype upper links that raise the BB .7" approx. and it allows a little better leverage to throw it down on a set. I dont know that there are any real advantages to the prototype links from Chris other than they raise the BB from 13.75 to 14.5. It has a small effect on it in handling but thats about it.
The F1 does go balls out through rough stuff, I actually can gain speed through rockgardns or maintain at worst. Love the bike!