Quantcast

Canfield One - AM setup

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Finally my Canfield One is done.
Took some weeks, but this All Mountain rig is now ready for the trails.

Posting in Freeride, since there is no AM area here - and the bike is packing a massive 7" of rear travel (8" if you move the shock).

Got it tested around my house yesterday, to adjust shocks, forks, breaks and gears - and this test ride really got some weight from my shoulders. You're always wondering how a new bike will handle, how you'll like it and if it feels up for your type of riding style.

But I only got one word (several more in Norwegian): AWESOME!

;)

The bike pedals with no bob and a very direct power transfer to the rear wheel. The custom built Roco on my bike (thanks to marzocchi norway for that one!!) is a Roco WC with TST R internals, and it works really well with the rear suspension - firm, but still plush.

My build weighs 31lbs, but with lighter cranks and forks it would be easy to build a sub 30 lbs bike with 7" - 8" of travel.

If you're looking at buying this frame, there are some tweaks you'll have to do while building. A good example is the front derailleur. The frame doesn't have room for the XTR dual pull, but you'll have to try with XT dual pulls or move down to LX (didn't test SRAM). With XT on my bike, you only have about 2mm of space between the derailleur and the links...so tight!

Some pictures just prior to finishing it (this is from when I realized that the XTR didn't fit). On these pictures, the wiring isn't done, no front break and some other stuff is missing. But you get a view on where it went from here. I'm heading for a ride the coming week, and we'll bring cameras. :)

Previous bikes:
Zaskar LE, Kula, KillerV, Stinky, DHS Tube, vpfree, idrive5 etc.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
That bike is freakin spectacular- post a ride review when you get a chance. I'm interested how a 7 inch travel bike pedals and performs for trail/all mountain type riding.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
And then - first ride today.
Took it through my favorite trail, to compare it with my now retired iDrive5 - who's helped me through that one hundreds of times.

And what can I say...
First; the One can really climb. Seriously!
Lowering the U Turn forks, and I could point the tire on whatever hill I wanna go up.

I don't agree with the Canfield brothers in regards of pedal platform though, as the bike felt much more solid on the steep climbs with at least some pedal platform adjustment on the shock. Though not much, and I currently run the Roco at a lower air pressure than recommended for my weight, but only 10psi (which looked more correct in regards of sag).

When you lift the forks back up, and turn of all pedal platform on the shock - you have a full on FR bike underneath yourself. And here is where this bike really shines. It packs tons of confidence when you're going back down again - and since the angles and the 7" of travel are suddenly there for you, I found myself to be the limit on this first ride, not the bike. It's so steady and solid in high speeds, you just need to test one to belive that you just climbed up these hills on this thing...

So my conclusion is that I without a doubt feel that I got what I wanted. I was looking for a trailbike that would climb like my iDrive5 did - but would be a bit more fun back down again. The One climbs like my iDrive5 did, but is just awesome back down again. I need nothing more for my type of riding.

Bullseye!

Playdeep

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
St George, Utah
We look forward to more thoughts. I cant wait to come visit Norway. I plan to visit some friends in Finland. My business partner was in Norway this past summer and is making me go there if I get as close as Finland.

On the bike....how do you feel about the long stays for slow moves like wheelie drops and such ? I am concerned about this since I do alot of urban and shore type riding in slow techy areas. How plush does the bike feel also ? I was not a fan of the Nomad and it seems this bike would be a better version of a Nomad.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Hi there!

To be totally honest, this is not the bike I'd use for urban riding.
This is an AM/FR bike, more than a urban toy (if you by urban mean the same as me).

I'd look at more like a 4x bike for urban riding myself, like the Blur 4x. Even though I use a bmx personally. You need fast response in a low and tight package. This bike is not that.

If you like the suspension on this, have a look at the CanCan or Can Diggle. But for most fun on the shores and techy urban riding (and no slopestyle or FR stuff) I'd check out bikes with less suspension, or narrow it down to the CanCan.

If you ride more "massive" stuff, maybe the CanDiggle.

You can see all the models here:

http://seaotter.mtbr.com/2008/04/23/2008-canfield-brothers-bikes/

Playdeep

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
St George, Utah
I wouldnt be getting the One for the heavy freeriding or urban.It would be an aggressive trailbike with 5 footers often and 6-7 foot drops on occasion, tons of steep techy climbing. that would be the other bike I plan on getting , whatever it ends up being. How do you feel it is with the long chainstays ? So much of the riding in the southern part of Utah is rocky and ledgy, tons of pedal kick and wheelie drops. I am not sure a 17.5" is best for this.

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Hehehehe...might seem like it.

No, this story is a bit different.
The One frame was great, but after some riding I discovered a flaw in the frame I got. Lance and Chris worked their ass off trying to get me a new one, but after waiting for 3 weeks without even an ETA - and the season already here, I couldn't wait longer.

So when the local Foes distributor offered me an FXR frame with a discount, the choice was an easy one.

Nothing bad to say about the One....but then, a Foes has been a dream since 2001. ;)

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Well you might as well tell us how the Foes compares to the One.
So far:

Pedals better uphill.
A bit less DH'ish down again.

But the Curnutt is not broken in yet, and still feels a bit sticky. When that is gone, I guess it will feel more precise going down as well.

:cheers:

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Hehehehe...might seem like it.

No, this story is a bit different.
The One frame was great, but after some riding I discovered a flaw in the frame I got. Lance and Chris worked their ass off trying to get me a new one, but after waiting for 3 weeks without even an ETA - and the season already here, I couldn't wait longer.

So when the local Foes distributor offered me an FXR frame with a discount, the choice was an easy one.

Nothing bad to say about the One....but then, a Foes has been a dream since 2001. ;)
Would that major flaw be the frame hitting itself on full compression in 8 inch mode? Looks like a tight fit where a little flex would allow contact where the rear triangle comes near the seat tube.

MattP.

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Would that major flaw be the frame hitting itself on full compression in 8 inch mode? Looks like a tight fit where a little flex would allow contact where the rear triangle comes near the seat tube.
I highly doubt it.... I've been on my Can Diggle for a while now, and have never had that happen while in the 8" mode...

But I am curious, what is this major flaw?

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
The flaw has noting to do with frame design or One frames in general.
My frame came pre-assembled from the distributor, who had done a flaw during assembly.

Nothing to do with the frame itself, canfield or anything else.
But Canfield and the distributor tried to get me a new frame, but couldn't even dig up an ETA for 3 weeks. We've had the best spring for years in Norway, and I wanted to ride - so I canceled.

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
I'm thinking the FXR is my new bike. Anybody else (big boys) got anything to tell me about how this bike will take abuse.