Quantcast

Canfield Yelli Screamy info?

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
Its just a rad frame. Short rear end standard geo. What else do you want to know?
Call Chris for more info.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I had been thinking about a rigid single speed 29 as part of my rehab and retirement from dh. It looks like it would handle well for someone coming from a dh background. Wondering if building this up as a rigid would be realistic, or just dumb. Also wondering about the single speed thing. I spotted a review that said it can fit a 32 by 21 without a tensioner. .

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm sure you could build it up rigid - but it seems designed to be optimally ridden with at least 100mm if not more of suspension up front.

Plenty of other inexpensive rigid SS offerings out there. Check out the geometry on the new Kona Units - fairly slack and supposed to be quite nice. Complete bike for only a couple hundred more than just the Yelli Screamy frame alone.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Kinda what I thought.

I asked in the lounge but didn't get much feedback.. If I have a set of hubs that had been built on 26 hoops, would I have any serious issues rebuilding them on 29 hoops? Considering it for this possible future option.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Kinda what I thought.

I asked in the lounge but didn't get much feedback.. If I have a set of hubs that had been built on 26 hoops, would I have any serious issues rebuilding them on 29 hoops? Considering it for this possible future option.
No issues that I can think of - nope.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Cool. Thought the spoke grooves might be an issue.

Good news is that my therapist said I shouldn't go rigid and that I should go suspension. Now to figure single speed or 1x9.

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
If your thinking SS. Canfield Brothers Nimble 9 is the ticket. The Yelli and the Nimble both have the same geo. One is alu the other steel. Both front derailleur compatible. The Nimble has sliding dropouts to run SS. Its a really cool design. The short rear end of both these bikes is pretty noticeable. The bike corners like a 26'' but rolls like the big do. Check out some pics :

http://gollub01.pinkbike.com/album/29ers/

Sep 13, 2011
I have had a YS for a while and love it, I do most my local trails with it and even a lot of light DH and it is comfortable doing just about anything and i have no regrets on my purchase.

I was originally going s.s. but glad i went 1x9 as i even find myself commuting to work (19miles each way) with some looong climbs 1-2 x a week. let me know if you have any question's or need more pictures.

Build list:

RS reba rlt ti 120mm
sunringle charger expert wheels
ardent f/ignitor r
12x36 991 cassette(was 11x32 modified w/36)
RS reverb
truvativ noir cranks 32 ring
elixir cr's
thompson 50mm stem
kore bars cut to 745mm
x7 shifter/der.

Attachments

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I have had a YS for a while and love it, I do most my local trails with it and even a lot of light DH and it is comfortable doing just about anything and i have no regrets on my purchase.

I was originally going s.s. but glad i went 1x9 as i even find myself commuting to work (19miles each way) with some looong climbs 1-2 x a week. let me know if you have any question's or need more pictures.

Build list:

RS reba rlt ti 120mm
sunringle charger expert wheels
ardent f/ignitor r
12x36 991 cassette(was 11x32 modified w/36)
RS reverb
truvativ noir cranks 32 ring
elixir cr's
thompson 50mm stem
kore bars cut to 745mm
x7 shifter/der.
That bike is RAD!
Very interested in the YS. Might be a good replacement for my current 29er HT.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I have 3 of them sitting in my basement right now along with 5 Yelli Screamy's, 2 sets of DH wheels and all the pedals. Just shot them all for Lance/Chris. Super rad looking big bike though.

All but the frames are going back to them this week.

i'm very happy with my Yelli Screamy. kinda dispelled alot of misconceptions about 29r that i had. frame geometry goes a long way. it's much slacker than much of the XC-orientated 29r offerings. standover clearance is ample for technical moves, and chainstays are shorter than most. there are gobs of tire clearance, as I am running 2.4 ardents. even though its an aluminum frame, the 32psi i'm running in the large volume tires really cushion some of the bumps along the trail.

i've thus far only ridden on my local trails which are fairly non-technical, i'm hoping for a free weekend soon so i can try her out on the gnarlier stuff further away.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
minimal maint. my hands and fine motor are limited, so less wrench turning is a plus. also, i'm not going to be rolling fast for a while.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ah word. I just figured the rear shock would give your back a little more cush. You could even do an IG hub with a gripshifter, might be easier to twist than a trigger.

You may want to check mtbr's 9er forum, as there seems to be a lot of people with canfield's there. Most are happy, I think.