Quantcast

cannondale at wal-mart

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Doubt it would happen. Besides with the bike knowledge of the Wal Mart crowd, POS Schwinns would still out sell them because of mainstream name recognition. Unless of course the Cannondales came in purdeeeur cullerz.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
You know they make their low end bikes (i.e. the F7) in China.
The new owners brought production of the F7 back to PA. The high end carbon bikes (except the Rize) are made in Taiwan tho. They have better facilities over there and the cost would be impossibly high in the US.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The new owners brought production of the F7 back to PA. The high end carbon bikes (except the Rize) are made in Taiwan tho. They have better facilities over there and the cost would be impossibly high in the US.
I used to work at a C'Dale dealer... I was once told that one of the main reasons for doing their carbon frames overseas is because of one of the resins they use in the epoxy matrix (or something along these lines). The volume of this particular resin they need exceeds the amount that can legally be used for manufacture in the US.

stoner53

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
The F7 is made in china. Any Dale under about $800 is made in china. And with the new markup on the '09 models you are gonna have to spend $1000. Dont plane on any Dale you get to be worth too much in about 5 years. Just look what happened to shwinn. they went bankrupt on 9/11. now they are at walmart. i work at a bike shop. i see them more often than anything else coming in for repair. i personally have condemned quite a few of them.
its hard to say but my handmade in the US CAAD 8 isnt gonna be worth too much after they go to walmart. even to me

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The F7 is made in china. Any Dale under about $800 is made in china. And with the new markup on the '09 models you are gonna have to spend $1000. Dont plane on any Dale you get to be worth too much in about 5 years. Just look what happened to shwinn. they went bankrupt on 9/11. now they are at walmart. i work at a bike shop. i see them more often than anything else coming in for repair. i personally have condemned quite a few of them.
its hard to say but my handmade in the US CAAD 8 isnt gonna be worth too much after they go to walmart. even to me
Uh, hello? Why are you talking like it is a fact that Cannondales are going to be sold at Walmart? The Canadian company that bought them already has several brands that they sell to discount stores (including Schwinn which was never high end) and spent a boat load of cash for Cannondale to get them into the high end market. Why would they ruin their investment? With Cannondale they created two separate divisions. One for discount chains and one high end (GT, Cannondale, and Sugoi) for IBDs. The huge amount of cash they make from the discount bikes can only mean good things for their high end companies. They already brought GT back from the dead.

If you wanted to you could say the same thing about Specialized. Meridian (a Taiwanese company that does most of its business with discount stores) owns 49% of Specilized. Plus, they do much of the engineering and make all the bikes for Specialized in Taiwan.

Also, what mtn bike is worth anything after 5 years of abuse. I would never buy a 5 year old mtn bike unless it was really cheap - especially if it was an alum full suspension! Nevermind the outdated technology and geometry.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You mean the F4.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Gotta throw a kickstand on it and you have a complete bike. At Walmart no bike is complete without a kickstand.:plthumbsdown:

stoner53

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
i like the idea of the 29ers. most companies have some pretty sick designs too. but this is one place where Cdale gets a little cocky. they mixed 2 of the latest technology in their bikes. they use the lefty forks and the 29"wheels. i personally cant trust a lefty fork. and that larger wheel size is gonna put even more torque on that hub. dont get me wrong, ive talked to people who love the lefty fork and say its the best thing they ever got. i just dont think that it can be trusted on a 29er

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
i like the idea of the 29ers. most companies have some pretty sick designs too. but this is one place where Cdale gets a little cocky. they mixed 2 of the latest technology in their bikes. they use the lefty forks and the 29"wheels. i personally cant trust a lefty fork. and that larger wheel size is gonna put even more torque on that hub. dont get me wrong, ive talked to people who love the lefty fork and say its the best thing they ever got. i just dont think that it can be trusted on a 29er
The looks of those things scare the sh!t outta me...:dead:

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i currently work at a cannondale dealer and we have been wondering just what is still made in the u.s. of a. From what i understand almost everything is now made over there. i'll ask tomorrow at work, and get back to you guys. if you read that article is says that pacific will focus on walmart and cdale on the high end. like it already is.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
i currently work at a cannondale dealer and we have been wondering just what is still made in the u.s. of a. From what i understand almost everything is now made over there. i'll ask tomorrow at work, and get back to you guys. if you read that article is says that pacific will focus on walmart and cdale on the high end. like it already is.
I will give you an exact list:

Taiwan
Any bike under $800 retail
Carbon monocoque frames like the Synapse and Taurine

USA
All hardtails over $800 (starting at F4)
All road bikes besides the Synapse
All full suspension bikes

stoner53

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
Shwinn was never quality? why dont u read up on your bike history. shwinn used to be the biggest bike brand in america up till 9/11/01. they went bankrupt when the towers got hit. they got bought out and now they suck. so dont tell me that schwinn was never good. i never said that it was a defininite thing that they were gonna be sold at walmart but it is an extremely likely possibility. but like what happened to schwinn they could buy out the company to get the name. people walking through walmart will see the name and remember the awesome bike they had as a kid. they go by the name and dont think anything of where they are buying it from. and as for GT... hooray for being sold at sporting good stores. why dont you go look at a bike shop if u want to see a quality bike
Uh, hello? Why are you talking like it is a fact that Cannondales are going to be sold at Walmart? The Canadian company that bought them already has several brands that they sell to discount stores (including Schwinn which was never high end) and spent a boat load of cash for Cannondale to get them into the high end market. Why would they ruin their investment? With Cannondale they created two separate divisions. One for discount chains and one high end (GT, Cannondale, and Sugoi) for IBDs. The huge amount of cash they make from the discount bikes can only mean good things for their high end companies. They already brought GT back from the dead.

If you wanted to you could say the same thing about Specialized. Meridian (a Taiwanese company that does most of its business with discount stores) owns 49% of Specilized. Plus, they do much of the engineering and make all the bikes for Specialized in Taiwan.

Also, what mtn bike is worth anything after 5 years of abuse. I would never buy a 5 year old mtn bike unless it was really cheap - especially if it was an alum full suspension! Nevermind the outdated technology and geometry.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Shwinn was never quality? why dont u read up on your bike history. shwinn used to be the biggest bike brand in america up till 9/11/01.
I don't know where you're reading your history, but Schwinn went bankrupt in 1992 after they missed the boat on BMX and MTB. After that the name was purchased and sold a couple of times until Pacific got the name in 2001.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
I will give you an exact list:

Taiwan
Any bike under $800 retail
Carbon monocoque frames like the Synapse and Taurine

USA
All hardtails over $800 (starting at F4)
All road bikes besides the Synapse
All full suspension bikes
I think that the new carbon moto is made overseas too. I am not positive about that though.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
schwins weren't the greatest out there, remember that their Paramount rides were made by Waterford. as far as the rest of the line, i don't think there was anything to rave over.

ironspoke

Chimp
Sep 15, 2008
Irwin
I was in a shop just two days ago speaking with the manager about Cannondales. I tore the boot on my Headshock and they are ordering a new one. The bike is a 10 year old Super V and it has performed as solidly as I ever could have hoped. At some point I'm going to pull the trigger on a 29r and I was thinking about the Caffeine. Quite frankly this company with this single bike has earned my trust, but I'm still spooked.

I know Matthew Lee has repeatedly tortured a Lefty on his 29r and its pretty obvious that I will never, ever ride my bike as hard as he does.

All that being said I have heard of some pretty ugly horror stories about customer service from them regarding warrenty issues. You couple that with the ownership issues and I'm thoroughly flumoxed.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i believe Cannondale warranty to be highly affected by the rep. Our rep is badass, and we've never had any warranty issues.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was in a shop just two days ago speaking with the manager about Cannondales. I tore the boot on my Headshock and they are ordering a new one. The bike is a 10 year old Super V and it has performed as solidly as I ever could have hoped. At some point I'm going to pull the trigger on a 29r and I was thinking about the Caffeine. Quite frankly this company with this single bike has earned my trust, but I'm still spooked.

I know Matthew Lee has repeatedly tortured a Lefty on his 29r and its pretty obvious that I will never, ever ride my bike as hard as he does.

All that being said I have heard of some pretty ugly horror stories about customer service from them regarding warrenty issues. You couple that with the ownership issues and I'm thoroughly flumoxed.
I've never heard of any warranty problems. I do know some frame and fork warranties, which I just think is normal wear and tear.