Quantcast

Cannondale F7 Disk vs. Specialized Rockhopper

ems781

Chimp
Jul 11, 2008
I'm looking getting either one of these bikes. I can't decided if its worth it to get the F7 disk instead of the Rockhopper with V-breaks, are the breaks really that much different? I've heard a lot of people talk about how mechinical disk breaks aren't worth it so just stick with V-breaks. From what I've heard it seems the specialized is a better frame? Should I start out with the specialized then slowly up grade parts? It it worth it to upgrade to mechinical breaks or just keep the V-breaks? I can't seem to figure out what bike to get...I'm also open to other suggestions of bikes. I really want to start riding soon!

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Whoever said mechanical disc's aren't better than V-brakes is off their rocker or just talking out their ass with no experience.

I wouldn't trade my Avid BB7's for anything. Zero maintainence, cheap, reliable, and easy as hell to setup. Silky smooth operation and barely any effort to lock the wheels at any speed. Absolutely love them.

FYI, they're "Brakes" not "Breaks"

Also based on the two bikes you mentioned try posting in the cross country forum, not the freeride forum. You'll probably have better luck.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
i'm a mechanic who works at a shop that sells both and i have assembled both. from a "seems to go together better and has less problems out of the box" i would pic the specialized.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
i'm a mechanic who works at a shop that sells both and i have assembled both. from a "seems to go together better and has less problems out of the box" i would pic the specialized.

Second that. The RH is also a bit lighter and its probably a little more trail worthy spec' wise. The F7 looks ok, but is better suited to neighborhood use.