Quantcast

Cannondale Lefty Fork Length and such...

ziuruiz

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
Dear Lefties:

I own a 2006 prophet with a lefty max 140, love the frame and am concerned about the fork. My issues are as follows:

1. Rebound (red) knob has stopped working. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

2. Fork length according to the manual is +/-28.5" measured from top of fork with cap off, to the center of spindle. Mine is only 26 1/4" inches. I did do the bearing migration fix with no difference to the fork length. Where are the extra 2" inches?

I doubt I am running at a full 5.5":banghead: on the lefty, and am contimplating buying another fork unless the lefty can be brought back to splendor.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a lefty on my jekyll (it used to have the electric lockout, but that quit working so I did away with it). I had my lefty rebuilt by C-dale and it has worked quite well since. I think it was about $90 too and didn't take long at all.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
The rebound knob issues can often be fixed by taking the top part of the fork apart (as if you were changing the spring) and reassembling. That works sometimes if the knob seems to not turn enough.

As for the length, to fix the bearing migration etc. after a long period, you have to beat the crap out of the fork. Seriously. I just did this after over a year of riding and I had to wail on it for a long time. Take the spring out and slam it hard...many times.

Or just get a new fork. I would if I had the money.

ziuruiz

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
guys, can you measure your fork length, and let me know what you find in inches. i am somewhere around 26.25" from the top of fork to center of spindle.

thanks

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
[No Helpful Tech Shameless Plug]

I hav a lefty max 140 for sale that works great. I need it gone asap so my girlfriend doesn't yell at me for cluttering up the house. Let me know if you're interested and we can work out a deal.

[/No Helpful Tech Shameless Plug]

ziuruiz

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
more on the bearings... took the fork apart and pumped the leg outward to reset the bearings. still measuring 26.25". it may be ok and correctly, just wanto to make sure it is fully extended for a full stroke. i also have a gemini, this may be part of the problem.
thanks

Only Cannondale (NOT 1.5) except with aftermarket modifications. There's a lot of weirdos on MTBr going nuts over fabbing new steertubes and such to work with anything.

all cannondale frames are 1.5 so yes a lefty will go on any cdale frame....and any noncdale frame that has a 1.5 headtube that is exactly 4.5 inches high. then add in the lefty headset and a lefty/headshock stem

the steerer tube is 1.56 so standard 1.5 headsets and stems wont work, but a cdale headtube is a normal 1.5 headtube

Dear Lefties:

I own a 2006 prophet with a lefty max 140, love the frame and am concerned about the fork. My issues are as follows:

1. Rebound (red) knob has stopped working. Can anyone tell me how to fix this?

2. Fork length according to the manual is +/-28.5" measured from top of fork with cap off, to the center of spindle. Mine is only 26 1/4" inches. I did do the bearing migration fix with no difference to the fork length. Where are the extra 2" inches?

I doubt I am running at a full 5.5":banghead: on the lefty, and am contimplating buying another fork unless the lefty can be brought back to splendor.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks.
the way to reset the bearings:

remove the top cap and the split rings that hold the damper in place on top of the fork. make sure your dapmer rod is at full extension. grab the wheel (or spindle if the wheel is off) and extend HARD. keep repeating until the top of the damper rod where the split ring sits is BELOW the top of the fork. it will take a few hits, especially if the bearings have not been maintained and are slightly corroded. put the split rings back in. check the rebound knob. screw it counterclockwise till it comes out. be careful and check for the smal 1/8" bearings in it that create the notched feeling. they may have fallen out to the side. place them back in the little hole with a spring between, a drop of grease on each side helps keep them in. screw the knob all the way down till it stops. replace the top cap. unscrwe rebound to your desired setting. that should take care of your issues.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
all cannondale frames are 1.5 so yes a lefty will go on any cdale frame....and any noncdale frame that has a 1.5 headtube that is exactly 4.5 inches high. then add in the lefty headset and a lefty/headshock stem

the steerer tube is 1.56 so standard 1.5 headsets and stems wont work, but a cdale headtube is a normal 1.5 headtube
Yeah...I worded that kind of wrong, what I meant is it won't work with just any 1.5 HT frame.

singlepivot

Chimp
Mar 13, 2007
ATL
(i know, but it worked):busted:

...since the original post i have had a change of mind. Off came the lefty, I decided to add 10mm of travel and build a bad a$$ slugger.

Bike was a 2006 Prophet 1000 model, xc bike. Felt cramped and too forward for ridestyle. In a couple of nghts the bike was completely transformed into what looks to be a nice fun bike.

Been riding a 2005 Gemini for about a year now. The prophet hung from its position on the rack. Thought that a light duty slugger was in order. I expect this will become the all arounder bike for the southeast. We ride it all down here. Therefore, the Gemini (in the background, daughter owns the pink bike) will get built heavier.

"Big" difference between the two bikes will be the BB height. Other than that it'll be a 10-15 lb difference between the two.