Quantcast

Cannondale Stealth Bike

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Taken from Core77.com. Pretty awesome looking I think.

The F-117 Nighthawk may have been retired but it's spirit lives on in Canondale's Stealth Concept Bike which debuted earlier this year at the Eurobike Show in Germany.

The styling direction of the Cannondale Stealth Concept was, as the name reveals, inspired by Stealth fighter jets, which have a very distinctive edgy shape in order to be invisible on radar. Another source of inspiration was last year's Lamborghini Reventon sports car, whose faceted surfaces and custom flat paint lend the car a unique and stealthy appearance.

The bike was designed by Cannondale's in-house design team, and prototyped from Carbon fiber and aluminum at Cannondale's own factory in Bedford, PA. The frame was designed and manufactured as a monocoque carbon part making the front triangle including the chainstays in the mold, a first for Cannondale. The frame mold was machined from two 350lb blocks of aluminum and used seven bladders during the molding process. Using a similar molding process, the Stealth concept also showcases the first full carbon fiber rigid Lefty fork for a road bike including disc brakes. The dropouts, seatpost clamp, headset cups, Lefty road spindle, and fork mold were all machined from aluminum in our Bethel office in CT by our Engineers. The final bonding of the carbon and aluminum structure was completed in the Bedford facility as was final finishing, paint and assembly. The prototype is rideable and weighs in at 8,8kg.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh cannondale...are they the only ones making pure show bikes anymore? I know Specialized occasionally has some gimmicky sleds, but cannondale has always taken it to the next level.

I think it looks great. I'd love to pick up an old super V, slap a lefty on it, and use it as a commuter bike.

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
That bike is hanging out at the Cadence flagship location in NYC. If you are ever in NY it is worth checking out. It is quite possibly the finest bike shop I have ever been in.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
So is that like a cross bike or something? What type of riding is it for?

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
It's a top end city commuter. Flat bar road bikes are gaining serious momentum and I think it is an attempt to take the simpler look of some of these bikes and add some serious style. The whole stealth concept makes sense as who would want a commuting bike that is so bling it gets stolen the first time you try to lock it up. Kind of like the chinese food delivery guys bike but without the duct tape, and about 20 lbs lighter ;)

-R

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It's a top end city commuter. Flat bar road bikes are gaining serious momentum and I think it is an attempt to take the simpler look of some of these bikes and add some serious style. The whole stealth concept makes sense as who would want a commuting bike that is so bling it gets stolen the first time you try to lock it up. Kind of like the chinese food delivery guys bike but without the duct tape, and about 20 lbs lighter ;)

-R
This is one cool bike, but it is hardly stealth.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
But a road caliper doesn't need both sides either.
I'm sure it it would be easy enough to mount a road caliper on a Lefty.

But knowing how roadies can be traditionalists, I believe there would have to be some massive advantage, like super light carbon rims and a disc brake, for them to switch over.

Maybe I'm wrong, considering C/Dale is using a 1.5 headtube on the high end carbon frames. They could slap on a Lefty easily.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It's so ugly that I actually find it quite beautiful.
Thats my thought

Why hasn't the lefty been made for a road bike yet? Seems like it could be an advantage.
I was thinking that myself.

I wonder if it will coincide with a disc brake road racer.

No lefties on road bikes, is actualy a simple answer. UCI will not allow them for road/timetrial/Cross racing. So that significantly reduces the demand for them. Lefties are allowed for xc, and Super D, even DH if you want, but in Road/TT/Cross, UCI is absolutly Anal about what is, and isnt allowed, right down to the fit of the bike, how far the rear wheel is from the seat tube, handlebar reach compared to front wheel. Its Fuggin rediculous, we get at least a 30 page adendum each month from UCI about new rules and modifications.