Quantcast

Canon 350D Rebel XT or Nikon D70?

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
Alright..., I've finally decided to step up to a dslr. I use my camera's for a wide-variety of situations... almost everything really. Keep in mind, a lot of sports though. To get an idea of what my camera's get used for check out my site--> http://www.pbase.com/wassobe It hasn't been updated in a while, but that's pretty much it.

I've narrowed it down to the Canon 350D Rebel XT with the 18-55mm lens, or the Nikon D70 with the 18-70mm lens. Spec-wise, everything is telling me I should go for the Canon. It's Cheaper by a good amount,8 mp's instead of 6, has an iso 100 setting which the Nikon doesn't, and to top it all off, I have very small hand's so the Canon naturally feels much more fit-to-me than the Nikon does.

Then again, the Nikon feels much better built, and much more solid, and has an 18-70 rather than an 18-55 lens... but at the same time, it feels awkward in my hands, and is very heavy.

All my instincts are telling me to get the Canon, but for some reason, I keep thinking maybe I should go with the Nikon. I'm really just looking for suggestions and advice on which to purchase. I'll be purchasing one within the next 2 weeks most likely. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the Canon, but people at the stores that carry both products have told me to stick with the Nikon. You guy's use these camera's... what do you think?

-Andy

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I have the XT. Very happy with it. The deciding factor was lens selection. The difference in image quality is affected much more by the photographer. One thing to keep in mind for panning shots is that the rebel does not have 2nd curtain flash sync. I wish it did. I also wish it had the 1/500th flash sync speed that the canon doesn't have.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I use the D70 and have been very happy with it, then again I've been using Nikon's for over 20 years. I have no experience w/ the Canon, but from what I hear from people that use it, they like it. Basically, you can't lose w/ either.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Ergonomics are the #1 reason to go with one or the other, in my opinion. Both companies offer a great selection of lenses. Both cameras will take great pictures. The differences between them are small. But if the feel and layout of one feels better to you, that will increase its ability to get out of the way and let you take photos.

Canon has ISO 100, Nikon has spot metering. Canon has 8mp, Nikon has better flash controls. You could go around for days comparing them, because there's no glaring difference between the two. Both of those cameras and their respective lens selections are far beyond most people's capabilities as a photographer.

So when you pick them both up and handle them, which camera makes itself invisible while you go through your settings? Which one feels natural in your hands? Pick that one. I far prefer Nikon's ergonomics, but, like saddles and helmets, it's a personal choice.

One thing: don't compare Canon's kit lens to Nikon's kit lens. The Canon is a cheap toy designed to appeal to the mass consumer market, the Nikon is a high quality piece of optics, almost a pro level lens. That accounts for the price difference. If you want to compare prices, compare the body only of the Rebel XT ($819.95 @ BHphoto) and the D70s ($889 @ BHphoto). The $70 difference is nothing in the long term.

If the Canon feels better in your hands, and the ergonomics work well for you, then that's the camera to buy. If the Nikon ergonomics are better, then go that route.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
After a few weeks reading reviews-artikels-pressreleases, talking to pro-photographers and an afternoon of testing them both, I decided that the Nikon D70 was the better one for me.

no regrets at all.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
After talking to a number of pro and semi pro photographer friends, I am going with the Nikon D70. Just about all said it was 'user friendly' and these are people who use their cameras daily.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
I bought an XT as a package that included a 2 gig CF card, a tripod and a case for extra media and lenses for $999 + tax. The Canon is great for hucking to flat and is very plush. I'm unfamiliar with the Nikon but the guys on Pink Bike say it’s flexy.

Be the Bender...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
nice pictures, CF. that's the proof of the pudding.

this thread topic is somewhat akin to a sport-level DH racer asking about whether a Sunday or Turner DHR would be "better". it's not like either bike will have obvious short-comings to that particular user.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
binary visions said:
One thing: don't compare Canon's kit lens to Nikon's kit lens. The Canon is a cheap toy designed to appeal to the mass consumer market, the Nikon is a high quality piece of optics, almost a pro level lens.
Well the Nikon kit lens is surely better than the Canon, but I would hesitate to call it a pro lens. But essentially yes, it has a bigger range than the canon, seems more robust (at least to me), and might be a bit better opened wide, although stopped down the differences get diluted.

As far as ergonomics go, I preferred the D70 at first. It's bigger and provides a more regular grip, without being extra heavy. After a while though, the lower weight and size of the XT started to grow on me. You have to hold it a bit differently, letting more weight of the lens rest on your left hand. I also noticed that I felt more at ease taking photos on the streets with the XT, it's smaller size allowed me to feel more low-profile (I don't know what type of photography you're interested in, but it's just something to think about).

I went with the XT for the mirror lock up, iso 100, cleaner high isos, FP flash possibility, somewhat better jpeg output and lower weight, knowing I'd have to leave spot-metering, higher flash sync speed, wireless flash possibilities with without having to buy wireless "commander" and a more consensual grip design.

Both cameras are quite good, and I don't think there's a real "deal-breaker" in either ones technical characteristics. You have to weigh how much do you value each pro and con for each camera based on your photography requirements and decide.

Edit: I do have to say that I think that the Canon lens system offers a better upgrade path, with severall offers for people without big budgets (this was a major reason why I chose the Canon over the Nikon).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
nice pictures, CF. that's the proof of the pudding.
Not really. Especially at this size, that's like posting a riding picture in a thread asking about a bike. It's nice to show a picture to go along with a comment, but it proves zilch about the camera, only that CF is a competent photographer.

There was a whole article a while back about a photo journalist who used 3-5mp digicams exclusively. His photographs were just as amazing as anyone using their $5k Nikon D2X with multi-thousand dollar lens attached.

Almost along the lines of the irksome statement, "Nice camera. Bet it takes great pictures." Or, "Nice pictures. You must have a good camera." The camera helps, without a doubt, but it's only a tool. Just like having a good bike doesn't make you a better rider.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i totally agree that the person behind the lens is at least if not more critical in terms of photo quality than the camera itself. my comment was more directed towards N8's comments that his pro photog buddies like the Nikon better, when it's my guess that he'd be fine w/ either (unless my sport DH racer analogy to N8's photo skills is off-base, and it may very well be, as i don't think i've seen any of his photos posted).

btw, having more travel always helps. ;)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
narlus said:
i totally agree that the person behind the lens is at least if not more critical in terms of photo quality than the camera itself. my comment was more directed towards N8's comments that his pro photog buddies like the Nikon better, when it's my guess that he'd be fine w/ either (unless my sport DH racer analogy to N8's photo skills is off-base, and it may very well be, as i don't think i've seen any of his photos posted).

btw, having more travel always helps. ;)
So, you're saying "it's not about the camera?"

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the camera is a tool. you can take good to great pics w/ a low-end camera, as you can take lousy pics w/ a high-end camera. the better the camera, the more control you have, but if you don't know what you are doing, it's not gonna help you; you just may end up w/ a nice, large high-resolution photo which sucks. unless you want to keep it in AUTO and let the camera do the thinking and setting, but that pretty much negates needing to have all the fancy bells-n-whistles the camera has.

Wassobe

Chimp
Feb 9, 2004
simsbury
Thanks for all the advice/ oppinions guys. I'm still looking for a bit more input. I'm thinking I may get the Rebel XT body only, and spend the excess money on a nicer lens than the regular 18-55. I still want to go out and try them out and see how they feel once more today before I make a decision though.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Don't forget to get a memory card and a clear filter for the lens too. If you're going to be shooting a lot, you might want to think about getting an extra battery. Later on, consider a bigger lens and a flash.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
my pro photography buddies prefer canon :p . i agree with tim, this discussion is stupid. you can get exceptional images with either. buy what you want but don't try to justify it as "x camera [bike] sucks".

i personally went canon when i made this choice (back in the D30 era) because i shoot primes and canon has a wider selection of USM primes.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Toshi said:
my pro photography buddies prefer canon :p . i agree with tim, this discussion is stupid. you can get exceptional images with either. buy what you want but don't try to justify it as "x camera [bike] sucks".

i personally went canon when i made this choice (back in the D30 era) because i shoot primes and canon has a wider selection of USM primes.

I agree, unless you know what you're doing both cameras will produce crap for images. Learn to use every function you have and you will be satisfied.

Strakar

Monkey
Nov 17, 2001
Portugal
Wassobe said:
Thanks for all the advice/ oppinions guys. I'm still looking for a bit more input. I'm thinking I may get the Rebel XT body only, and spend the excess money on a nicer lens than the regular 18-55. I still want to go out and try them out and see how they feel once more today before I make a decision though.
Don't be so fast to desmiss the kit lens, there's plenty of people taking great photos with it. As others have said, it's about the photog. Besides, it might be usefull to help you realize what type of lens you want afterwords, if a similar range but faster, or another range to complement it, or even primes, etc. For 100$ it might be a good deal.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Strakar said:
Don't be so fast to desmiss the kit lens, there's plenty of people taking great photos with it. As others have said, it's about the photog. Besides, it might be usefull to help you realize what type of lens you want afterwords, if a similar range but faster, or another range to complement it, or even primes, etc. For 100$ it might be a good deal.
check out http://rion.nu/ . she shoots with the kit lens and the 85/1.8, and comes up with some striking images.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi said:
check out http://rion.nu/ . she shoots with the kit lens and the 85/1.8, and comes up with some striking images.
my point being that it's easy to become a lens (or anything) snob, and scoff at such equipment that won't produce critically sharp images at 100% when shot wide open. not all images or applications call for the use of a 200/1.8 or 135/2 (or even a 50/1.4), and knowing when good enough is just that is a whole philosophical argument unto itself...